I hate the term "cancer survivor!"

Comments

• tufi000
    tufi000 Member Posts: 745 Member
    Follow the money
    It does not matter what word we like or relate to. A "word" was coined for the "others".
    It puts us all in a little box so they think they understand.
    It allows organizations to get donations from people who have no clue.
    It allows someone you meet to feel they are relating without having to listen to explanations and it makes some feel they have done their part in caring.

This word is not for us, it is for the rest of them who may or may not want to relate, to do something good, or to not feel guilty about doing nothing.

I do not find a need for a word of any kind with the people who have stood by me through this, and as for the rest, let them feel righteous any way they can, and if a word helps them define their feeling and thoughts, that's just fine...just send a check for research.

It may also get you out of a traffic ticket!!! HA!
  • Blondiemomma
    Blondiemomma Member Posts: 41
    tufi000 said:

Follow the money
    It does not matter what word we like or relate to. A "word" was coined for the "others".
    It allows someone you meet to feel they are relating without having to listen to explanations and it makes some feel they have done their part in caring.

This word is not for us, it is for the rest of them who may or may not want to relate, to do something good, or to not feel guilty about doing nothing.

I do not find a need for a word of any kind with the people who have stood by me through this, and as for the rest, let them feel righteous any way they can, and if a word helps them define their feeling and thoughts, that's just fine...just send a check for research.

Wise words
    You have words of wisdom. Thanks.
  • Blondiemomma
    Blondiemomma Member Posts: 41
    tufi000 said:

Follow the money

Wise words
    You have words of wisdom. Thanks.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    tufi000 said:

Follow the money

The word 'Survivor'
    IS for ME - I am ALIVE! IBC is only one thing I have survived in my life - so I am a Survivor of many things. (Not just IBC) and am proud that I fought through everything and am still survivng..

Some may use a word wrongly but that does not negate what it is. - MANY people do survive through MANY things in life. Some exist through things and some just give up.

What word would you use? If it's so bad to you to use 'survivor' then what would suit you?

Winyan - The Power Within

Susan
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    tufi000 said:

Follow the money

OOPS - Double post

Winyan - The Power Within

Susan
  • MsGebby
    MsGebby Member Posts: 659
    Lots of wonderful
    thoughts about this topic.

We are all SURVIVORs whether it be cancer or diabetes or measles. So I think the word cancer is more the issue for the poster (if I may be brazen to state). Being a survivor, no matter what the ailment, makes us all WARRIORS. We have or are fighting the good battle.

I am still fighting. I am surviving everything thrown at me. Let's put it this way....

I like this side of the grass vs ....................

Love to all ... keep on doing your thing ... Fight Like A Girl.

Peace Out

Mary
  • ksf56
    ksf56 Member Posts: 202
    The word "survivor" means so much to me!
    I've looked forward to being a survivor for what seems like forever! I like the feeling of surviving all the things I've been through in my life - it hasn't just been cancer. Surviving means I'm alive and made it through hell and I'm smiling! My humor is back - I can see sunshine and relish it! The world seems brighter and the wind feels wonderful! I appreciate more and everyday has successes! Yay!! It doesn't matter what it's called - it's what it means in your heart!

A survivor and a warrior1
    Karen
  • ksf56
    ksf56 Member Posts: 202
    The word "survivor" means so much to me!
    I've looked forward to being a survivor for what seems like forever! I like the feeling of surviving all the things I've been through in my life - it hasn't just been cancer. Surviving means I'm alive and made it through hell and I'm smiling! My humor is back - I can see sunshine and relish it! The world seems brighter and the wind feels wonderful! I appreciate more and everyday has successes! Yay!! It doesn't matter what it's called - it's what it means in your heart!

A survivor and a warrior1
    Karen
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Survivor doesn't bother me...
    but the word that really gets me is "Remission"...Ugh! It just makes me feel like this beast is "dormant" for a while and will eventually come back...NOT! I don't want ANYONE to get it again and it makes me angry every time I read about a reoccurance. I don't even say that word.

Just my thinkin'.

Hugs!
  • beachmom
    beachmom Member Posts: 50

Chemo survivor
    I don't know that I will be a cancer survivor but I already know that I am a chemo survivor! I was told my "cocktail" was milder than others. If so, my hat (and hair!) is off to all you women that have the tough stuff because mine was all I could bear.

Of course...
    Of course you are a survivor! My first Relay for Life walk last year was right after I found out I had bc. I wasn't going to walk the survivor lap because I didn't feel like a survivor. A number of ladies came to get me...You are a survivor, you're here today! Better a survivor than the alternative....

Keely
  • lps954
    lps954 Member Posts: 11
    Cancer Victor or Cancer Champion
    I've heard "cancer victor" and "cancer champion" in the past 24 hours and like them both. We have all been victorious over this horrid thing and we have all championed our lives back.

What do you think?

I'm going to use them, along with cancer fighter, winner against breast cancer, cancer adventurer and one who was diagnosed with cancer.

Heck, we can say lots of things to describe where we are - here on earth!

And Praise God for that!!!
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    lps954 said:

I've heard "cancer victor" and "cancer champion" in the past 24 hours and like them both. We have all been victorious over this horrid thing and we have all championed our lives back.

What do you think?

I'm going to use them, along with cancer fighter, winner against breast cancer, cancer adventurer and one who was diagnosed with cancer.

I dont know which word to
    I dont know which word to use. it depends on who I am talking to. sometimes I use emphamisms like "when I was sick or got sick" other times I say cancer. I do know i need to live my life in a way that feels comfortable for me. And just as individuals choose to deal with it differently, different people can be called what makes them comfortable. We at least deserve this. I do think some of us are in remission and some of us are cured. I know others dont agree. I have not seen any sign of my first cancer (1994) but am not so sure about this one. So I am in remission. I personally hate it all. cancer sucks big time
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    HMMM
    For me the word that works best is survivor, but in reality do we really need a word at all? I went back in time and tried to recall what my Mom called herself (she first got cancer in 1975, lived through several cancer battles and had a great 25 years before we lost her to the beast.) I then asked my dad and he smiled and said she called herself tough and he agreed, he also said she never truly put name to herself. Anyway I am rambling, whatever any of us decide to call ourselves as long as it works for each individual is fine with me. I hope someday we can all call ourselves CURED!

HUGS,

RE
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Survivor
    It depends for me. When I was going through counselling due to a highly disfuntional family, I was told I was a survivor. My first thought was "Big da## deal! Survival is not enough for me." I felt that it was far lower than I was aiming for. Luckily I got through that and the family changed but it took some time. Once things at home changed I began to think of myself as resillient, or a thriver.

Now when it comes to cancer the word survivor does not bother me so much because the chances of dying from this is very real. If you get past it you are a survivor. Family problems on the other hand usually do not kill you. That is why the name survivor was clearly not enough.

I think of myself as a "Post cancer thriver". I realize that this can come back but if I say "post cancer" I am psychologically hedging my bet. I consider myself a thriver despite the fact that I have developed lyphedema secondary to having my lymph nodes removed. I decided that since cancer threatened my life I was going to hop on the treatment regimen bandwagon for lymphedema because NOTHING will take away another day of my life if I have anything to say about it. I have always said that I was going to "Kick cancer's A$$," and I feel that I have done so. But I don't mind being called a survivor at all.
  • Melaniedoingwell
    Melaniedoingwell Member Posts: 80
    survivor.....
    I agree that the real sticking point here is "cancer"....

Personally I call myself a warrior princess after this wild ride!!! Just saying.

Melanie
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    I had surgery and radiation
    I had surgery and radiation (NO chemo) at times I feel like I am not "survivor" like many of you on here...who have gone through so much more then me...I am grateful mine was easy as journey could be for CANCER...some people say OH YOU ONLY had radiation! LIKE not cancer... but I do say Myself...I ONLY had surgery and radiation...

So my point is: NOT sure since I went through so much LESS since caught very early...I PUSH that fact to many who post pone their annaul tests...

Denise
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    carkris said:

I dont know which word to
    I dont know which word to use. it depends on who I am talking to. sometimes I use emphamisms like "when I was sick or got sick" other times I say cancer. I do know i need to live my life in a way that feels comfortable for me. And just as individuals choose to deal with it differently, different people can be called what makes them comfortable. We at least deserve this. I do think some of us are in remission and some of us are cured. I know others dont agree. I have not seen any sign of my first cancer (1994) but am not so sure about this one. So I am in remission. I personally hate it all. cancer sucks big time

CARKRIS: I agree we each
    CARKRIS: I agree we each have our own ideas, thoughts and perspectives on this whole subject....IF IT WORKS for you good if not use what ever word that feels comfortable

Denise
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    camul said:

I think it is up to you to call yourself whatever you want!
    I am sure no one would mind, but I agree, the majority of us have not had an easy ride of it, physically or mentally, and when it comes back the ride is even rougher. Glad you had such an easy go of it. But some days just surviving to the next is an accomplishment!

Best to you.
    Carol

I like survivor!
    I use the word survivor inre to me, as after all I went through, I survived and am very proud of myself for that!
  • Ballerina
    Ballerina Member Posts: 152
    lps954 said:

What do you think?

I like them all
    I like them all. I don't care as long as I'm still here.

Ballerina
  • bad121749
    bad121749 Member Posts: 31

I had surgery and radiation
    I had surgery and radiation (NO chemo) at times I feel like I am not "survivor" like many of you on here...who have gone through so much more then me...I am grateful mine was easy as journey could be for CANCER...some people say OH YOU ONLY had radiation! LIKE not cancer... but I do say Myself...I ONLY had surgery and radiation...

So my point is: NOT sure since I went through so much LESS since caught very early...I PUSH that fact to many who post pone their annaul tests...

Denise

Surviving
    I was diagnosed in October 2010 with a radical mastectomy, TAC and radiation to follow. I needed IV fluids for three days following chemo each time to keep my blood pressure up. At times I didn't feel like fighting any more and wondered if I would survive. Even with several side effects from the treatments, I am so grateful just to do the simple things I once took for granted. It's OK to call yourself whatever you want....I am surviving one day at a time! Love to all, Barbara