I hate the term "cancer survivor!"

lps954
lps954 Member Posts: 11
edited April 2012 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi - I'm new here; dxed with Stage 2 breast cancer 2 1/2 years ago. Pretty easy ride. I hate the term "cancer survivor" and would like to start using another term. Cancer fighter; Cancer soldier; Cancer winner; Cancer victor; Cancer winner; Cancer standout - something - anything but survivor. What do you all think?

Comments

• aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    while I respect your opinion
    I would like to add that it is not an "easy ride" for everyone. And I feel that
    many sisters on here deserve the title survivor.

Ayse
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    aysemari said:

while I respect your opinion
    I would like to add that it is not an "easy ride" for everyone. And I feel that
    many sisters on here deserve the title survivor.

Ayse

I hate cancer
    Thermonology is secondary for me.
    I am glad that it was an easy ride for you. Unfortunately, it was not easy for many, myself included. Several ladies on this board have been fighting for years. Yes we are fighters, troopers, winners, and heroes
    I guess you. An call yourself whatever you want
    My best wishes to you
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941

I hate cancer
    Thermonology is secondary for me.
    I am glad that it was an easy ride for you. Unfortunately, it was not easy for many, myself included. Several ladies on this board have been fighting for years. Yes we are fighters, troopers, winners, and heroes
    I guess you. An call yourself whatever you want
    My best wishes to you

This idea of semantics has
    This idea of semantics has been discussed before and I guess will continue to be discussed from time to time. I AM A SURVIVOR!!!! I considered myself a survivor from the day of my diagnosis. As so many of our pink sisters have, I also had a rough go of it, but at least we are all here to call it whatever we choose.
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Curious
    Hi,

I am just curious as to why you hate the term "cancer survivor".

Perhaps you would like to state why other than your dislike for the term?

Best to you,

Doris
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    SIROD said:

Curious
    Hi,

I am just curious as to why you hate the term "cancer survivor".

Perhaps you would like to state why other than your dislike for the term?

Best to you,

Doris

No other word in thesarrus for "survivor"
    But the dictionary says the definition of "survive" is 1: to remain alive or in existence:live on 2: to continue to function or prosper.

There are a lot of terms in cliches that are used regarding people with cancer and some that bother me, too. It depends on who uses the term and in what context I guess. If I feel the term is used in pity or ignorance, that gets to me.

I am referred to as a "breast cancer patient" by my oncologist. I want to say "no, I'm not", but I guess I am and will always have some connection with that. I'm referred to as a "well patient" by my gynecologic oncologist. Both are correct.

"Survivor" just works - even if someone has a recurrence they're still a survivor as long as they're alive. "Cancer free" or "cured" really doesn't work for me - simply because that is unknown. I just don't think there is a better term.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Suzanne
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    I think it is up to you to call yourself whatever you want!
    I am sure no one would mind, but I agree, the majority of us have not had an easy ride of it, physically or mentally, and when it comes back the ride is even rougher. Glad you had such an easy go of it. But some days just surviving to the next is an accomplishment!

Best to you.
    Carol
  • Blondiemomma
    Blondiemomma Member Posts: 41
    Chemo survivor
    I don't know that I will be a cancer survivor but I already know that I am a chemo survivor! I was told my "cocktail" was milder than others. If so, my hat (and hair!) is off to all you women that have the tough stuff because mine was all I could bear.
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Whatever Floats your Boat
    My year long experience with recovery was no walk in the park. In fact, by the time I finished with treatment( 2 lumpectomies, chemo/Herceptin, rads), I felt like I climbed Mt. Everest, swam the Pacific Ocean, and ran a marathon!

So... I suppose that makes me a Survivor! I don't mind the term. I use others like Muscle Girl, Iron Woman( Iron Maiden doesn't sound right considering it's a torture device)and/or Warrior. It's whatever speaks to you. We are all individuals who happen to have a common thread that brought us here to this website, cancer.

As one Survivor said, "Cancer doesn't define who I am." I say amen to that brother Mark( head/neck cancer Survivor). I give him credit for coining the expression.

Take care, God bless.
  • MsGebby
    MsGebby Member Posts: 659
    Would you rather
    be called "cancer victim"? Nuff said

peace out
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    MsGebby said:

Would you rather

peace out

I agree that you may use
    I agree that you should use whatever term works for you. Some like the term survivor, some don't. It is nice to hear that you had an easy ride. Many here have not and certainly those with recurrences and mets have not. For me, when I first heard the term I thought of those that "survived" the Titantic. How they had to leave a sinking ship, get on board lifeboats at night, in the freezing cold (some even spending time in the freezing water), and listen and watch as the ship sunk and so many lives were lost including many of their very own loved ones. They were survivors and although our battle is different we are survivors as well. Not everyone who has cancer makes it to the lifeboats and the journey is hard and dark and cold and scary and we watch those we love and others we don't know not make it. So for me, the term is perfect, just perfect. I am not sure everyone who uses the term survivor feels the same way I do about it but I know that many like the term. Others like different names. Some don't use a term at all, they simply say I had/have cancer.
    I hope that you continue to have a good journey and whatever you choose to call yourself is your right/your decision. Find the term that suits you, gives you comfort and makes you feel good about where you are right now.
    As many said, this topic comes up now and again and often invokes a spirited discussion.
    Stef
  • lps954
    fauxma said:

I agree that you may use
    I agree that you should use whatever term works for you. Some like the term survivor, some don't. It is nice to hear that you had an easy ride. Many here have not and certainly those with recurrences and mets have not. For me, when I first heard the term I thought of those that "survived" the Titantic. How they had to leave a sinking ship, get on board lifeboats at night, in the freezing cold (some even spending time in the freezing water), and listen and watch as the ship sunk and so many lives were lost including many of their very own loved ones. They were survivors and although our battle is different we are survivors as well. Not everyone who has cancer makes it to the lifeboats and the journey is hard and dark and cold and scary and we watch those we love and others we don't know not make it. So for me, the term is perfect, just perfect. I am not sure everyone who uses the term survivor feels the same way I do about it but I know that many like the term. Others like different names. Some don't use a term at all, they simply say I had/have cancer.
    I hope that you continue to have a good journey and whatever you choose to call yourself is your right/your decision. Find the term that suits you, gives you comfort and makes you feel good about where you are right now.
    As many said, this topic comes up now and again and often invokes a spirited discussion.
    Stef

I know
    No, my experience was not like so many others. I was lucky - knock wood. It's just that the term "survivor" is so dreary. We've all been through one form of hell or another and we've won - we've beaten it - we've been strong and we've kept going - we're alive! No guarantees about tomorrow - the monster could reawaken and we - most of us - would keep fighting until the body can go no longer. I'm watching a friend in his last days - advanced prostate cancer that's spread throughout his body. It's going to overtake him, he won't survive it. Yet cancer, seemed to be a part of his life - he dealt with it and grew older, developed other ailments and then it came back - seemingly from nowhere - and he's only being kept comfortable. I never thought of him as a survivor after his initial battle. Rather, I saw him as a vibrant, funny, exquisitely kind, smart and dear man. He was (and is) so much more than a mere "survivor," a term that's insufficient to describe the millions of us are indeed thriving today - having lived through and beyond cancer.
  • Frankie Shannon
    Frankie Shannon Member Posts: 457
    You may call your self what
    You may call your self what ever you like but i am a cancer survivor as many of us on here are.
    Frankie
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    fauxma said:

I agree that you may use
    Stef

I've told people
    I've told people I had breast cancer.They tell me they're sorry.I then tell them I'm a survivor. I don't want them to feel sorry for me.I want them to know I'm moving on and living.

I didn't need chemo or radiation.I was a lucky one but I feel those who did are really the survivors.They got through it all and are living.Some may have it rougher than others but they keep on going.I see them on here posting and think WOW they can still post through all that horrible treatment of chemo and radiation. They're strong and trying to survive.

As Steph said you can use whatever term you feel the most comfortable with. I don't always use the word survivor. Sometimes I just say "I had breast cancer but I'm now in remission".

Lynn Smith
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    I agree with you
    I agree with you totally...MY very close (LIKE MOM TO ME) always said she DID NOT want survivor in her obit or that she BATTLED cancer....I LIKE cancer fighter...

Her family did grant her wishes and did NOT put such in her obit almost 2 yrs ago

I have never said I am survivor I just state I HAD Cancer...

Denise
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    good thing...we all can call
    good thing...we all can call our experience with different words, feelings etc..but we are still all here to comment, chat, talk and give opinions...

great thing about this site...all in same boat but how we handle, deal, think about it is wide range of thoughts...

Denise
  • eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    MsGebby said:

Would you rather

peace out

Agree!!!!
    Cancer victim....I agree
  • lps954

I've told people
    I've told people I had breast cancer.They tell me they're sorry.I then tell them I'm a survivor. I don't want them to feel sorry for me.I want them to know I'm moving on and living.

I didn't need chemo or radiation.I was a lucky one but I feel those who did are really the survivors.They got through it all and are living.Some may have it rougher than others but they keep on going.I see them on here posting and think WOW they can still post through all that horrible treatment of chemo and radiation. They're strong and trying to survive.

As Steph said you can use whatever term you feel the most comfortable with. I don't always use the word survivor. Sometimes I just say "I had breast cancer but I'm now in remission".

Lynn Smith

I like your words. Thanks.
  • lps954

I agree with you
    I agree with you totally...MY very close (LIKE MOM TO ME) always said she DID NOT want survivor in her obit or that she BATTLED cancer....I LIKE cancer fighter...

Her family did grant her wishes and did NOT put such in her obit almost 2 yrs ago

I have never said I am survivor I just state I HAD Cancer...

Denise

Interesting. I like "cancer fighter" too. Thanks.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Survivor = Being Alive
    I'm a Survivor of life - there will be a time when I am no longer Survivng but until that day comes I AM A SURVIVOR! IBC may have been my hardest fight/battle I have waged but it isn't the only one by far. As I see it as long azs one is alive - they are a Survivor.

Winyan - The Power Within

Susan
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    I AM a cancer survivor, for
    I AM a cancer survivor, for now, and for as long as I possibly can be with God's good grace. The term that I do, however, have a problem with, is "Cancer Victim".
    *hugs*
    heather