I hate the term "cancer survivor!"

lps954
lps954 Member Posts: 11
edited April 2012 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi - I'm new here; dxed with Stage 2 BC 2 1/2 years ago. Pretty easy ride. I hate the term "cancer survivor" and would like to start using another term. Cancer fighter; Cancer soldier; Cancer winner; Cancer victor; Cancer winner; Cancer standout - something - anything but survivor. What do you all think?

Comments

• JayhawkDan
    JayhawkDan Member Posts: 205
    Maybe it looks different
    Maybe it looks different when you're told you're terminal, but "survivor" right now sounds pretty good. But I don't care what they call it, I just want to get there. ;-)
  • lps954

Maybe it looks different
    Maybe it looks different when you're told you're terminal, but "survivor" right now sounds pretty good. But I don't care what they call it, I just want to get there. ;-)

I hear you
    Yes indeed. My situation was very different. Thanks for sharing your perspective and stay strong!
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Dislike "Victim" even More
    Someone here once said "you haven't survived cancer until you die from something else".
    I've always liked that way of looking at it.
    I've been "Living with cancer" for over eight years. What's in a name?
    I tend to not really care about labels but I can understand your point...
    -p
  • Patteee
    Patteee Member Posts: 945
    PhillieG said:

Someone here once said "you haven't survived cancer until you die from something else".
    -p

keep looking for the "like"
    keep looking for the "like" button as though this is facebook!
  • JayhawkDan
    JayhawkDan Member Posts: 205

Maybe it looks different

I sounded a little
    I sounded a little cranky...sorry about that. You make a good point!
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    Patteee said:

I'm okay with survivor.
    I'm okay with survivor. Maybe it's the military in me..., or maybe it's because of our friends that didn't survive; I'd like to think that they are rooting for more survivors! God Bless!
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Survivor?
    Oh, I've used cancer warrior, cancer fighter...after 8-years of this, I'm now a Cancer General in the War Against Cancer:)

"Survivor" does not connotate the image of a 4-letter word to me...as time has passed, I now embrace the term and understand that everyday that I get up, that is exactly what I am. I'm a "Cancer Fighter/Cancer Survivor."

I'm an 8-year survivor, which is already about 5-years more than what they gave me...I see it as an honorary badge that I wear on the inside that I look to draw strength from when I need to. It is a notable accomplishment in my life and it bears no negative stigma or stereotype for me.

I don't hide from it - I revel in it.

It just signifies to me that I've been able to do something that I thought I would never see. So I appreciate it what it took to get this far - and the high price that I have paid along the way. I've had cancer 3x in 8-years and have walked away 3x so far.

I'm also an F3 Tornado Survivor - having walked about from a devastating twister that turned many lives on their axis that evening.

And I guess when I add up those two events - that would also make me a Life Survivor.

Survivor is a good thing after all - "Outwit, Outlast, Outplay."

Take care.

-Craig
  • PhillieG
    lps954 said:

I hear you
    Yes indeed. My situation was very different. Thanks for sharing your perspective and stay strong!

Words
    What it boils down to is whatever helps one get through this "party" called cancer is great.
    I'm not a big fan of Survivor, Victim, Patient.
    I'm a person with cancer but that works for me. I can see the appeal of Survivor because its a hell of a thing to go through and when you do get through it, it is a survival journey. I'm really not a fan of the word HATE. It's overused (IMO) and has lost its impact. "I hate brocolli", "I hate Mondays".
    Too much hate in the world.
    Just my opinion, I'm sure someone would like to press

:-)
  • PhillieG
    Patteee said:

Here

• PhillieG
    PhillieG said:

-p

Crap! I

When I post in the wrong spot!
  • barbebarb
    barbebarb Member Posts: 464
    Survivor-Badge of Courage and Strength
    Just my opinion but I dont think anything associated w/my cancer diagnosis in 08-Stage I and now Stage IV has been an easy ride. I have often thought about what it means to different people in our disease community. Maybe it pushes us to be vigilant and knowledgeable about our disease to get us through each test, treatment and uncertainty we can feel at different stages of our journey.
    Now that's a term I am not sure I like......journey?
    Anyone else have new names for our battle or fighting for hope and the best cancer wellness we can be?
    We are all winners being able to endure this sneaky, unpredictable disease!
    Prayers and good health to all.
    Barb
  • PhillieG
    barbebarb said:

Survivor-Badge of Courage and Strength
    Just my opinion but I dont think anything associated w/my cancer diagnosis in 08-Stage I and now Stage IV has been an easy ride. I have often thought about what it means to different people in our disease community. Maybe it pushes us to be vigilant and knowledgeable about our disease to get us through each test, treatment and uncertainty we can feel at different stages of our journey.
    Now that's a term I am not sure I like......journey?
    Anyone else have new names for our battle or fighting for hope and the best cancer wellness we can be?
    We are all winners being able to endure this sneaky, unpredictable disease!
    Prayers and good health to all.
    Barb

Roller Coaster Ride?
    That often fits. There are certainly ups and downs and twists and turns.... NOT FUN fits pretty well too.
    I like journey because that's what it's been for me. Highs and lows, good times and bad times, and it's been lengthy.

It really is unique to us all isn't it? Some terms are offensive (in a way) while the same term gives other people strength.
    Strange isn't it? Like cancer treatments, there's no one size fits all in treatments or how we view ourselves.
    Most of us feel VERY strongly about it too don't we?
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    PhillieG said:

Roller Coaster Ride?
    That often fits. There are certainly ups and downs and twists and turns.... NOT FUN fits pretty well too.
    I like journey because that's what it's been for me. Highs and lows, good times and bad times, and it's been lengthy.

It really is unique to us all isn't it? Some terms are offensive (in a way) while the same term gives other people strength.
    Strange isn't it? Like cancer treatments, there's no one size fits all in treatments or how we view ourselves.

Yes.

Yes.
  • quadgrandma8
    quadgrandma8 Member Posts: 13

I sounded a little
    I sounded a little cranky...sorry about that. You make a good point!

good point
    I think you make a good point! The word terminal changes things---and maybe makes a person want to fight harder and yes "Survive"
  • quadgrandma8
    PhillieG said:

Crap! I

When I post in the wrong spot!

You are funny!

You are funny!
  • quadgrandma8
    Sundanceh said:

Survivor?
    Oh, I've used cancer warrior, cancer fighter...after 8-years of this, I'm now a Cancer General in the War Against Cancer:)

"Survivor" does not connotate the image of a 4-letter word to me...as time has passed, I now embrace the term and understand that everyday that I get up, that is exactly what I am. I'm a "Cancer Fighter/Cancer Survivor."

I'm an 8-year survivor, which is already about 5-years more than what they gave me...I see it as an honorary badge that I wear on the inside that I look to draw strength from when I need to. It is a notable accomplishment in my life and it bears no negative stigma or stereotype for me.

I don't hide from it - I revel in it.

It just signifies to me that I've been able to do something that I thought I would never see. So I appreciate it what it took to get this far - and the high price that I have paid along the way. I've had cancer 3x in 8-years and have walked away 3x so far.

I'm also an F3 Tornado Survivor - having walked about from a devastating twister that turned many lives on their axis that evening.

And I guess when I add up those two events - that would also make me a Life Survivor.

Survivor is a good thing after all - "Outwit, Outlast, Outplay."

Take care.

-Craig

there really does need to be
    there really does need to be a "like" button on this website
  • lps954
    PhillieG said:

Roller Coaster Ride?

Perceptions
    I've used "adventure" to describe this thing. It's amazing when you tell people that you've had cancer, their voice and body language both sort of slump into a - "oh I'm sorry." And I want to tell them that for me it was not terrible. It was a medical emergency that had to be dealt with. Some days are harder than others, sure - and I was grateful every step of the way to be in the best medical hands and to be able to have some say in how I was - and wasn't treated. I'd had dreams for a period of time and my first thought upon awakening was "cancer." When I saw "it" on the digital mammogram, I knew right away that I had it - and the horror and fear that used to well up inside me seeing pink ribbons - simply didn't appear. I went to work asking questions, researching, finding the best care when a few doctors proved to me that I didn't want what they had. Today, yes - I call myself "a breast cancer survivor" but I wish there was a better, more uplifting - that's it - another more inspiring term to describe our strength, our hope, our courage and yes - our aliveness!
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    different terms
    Interesting. There are definitely some terms I like better than others. I tend to say I am "living with cancer". Also, I'm not sure I have ever said "I have cancer" -- instead, I say "I was diagnosed with cancer". Just a different mind-set, I guess.

Tara
  • have2believe
    have2believe Member Posts: 134
    terms are funny
    I've heard that people also get annoyed by the term "battle," especially if someone passed on because of the disease....like in an obit that states that a loved one lost his or her battle with cancer. For some, it sounds like if they didn't "fight" hard enough.
  • lps954
    taraHK said:

different terms
    Interesting. There are definitely some terms I like better than others. I tend to say I am "living with cancer". Also, I'm not sure I have ever said "I have cancer" -- instead, I say "I was diagnosed with cancer". Just a different mind-set, I guess.

Tara

Bingo. That's it. That pretty much says it all. Thanks.