Anyone had c-diff?

This is my 3rd bout with c.diff in the past 2 months - has anyone else suffered from this malady? I'm back on Vancomytin and pro-biotics. I read today in the medical section that chemo patients have more chance of getting c.diff.

Comments

• jimwins
    jimwins Member Posts: 2,107
    Hi Tall
    Hi Tall :),

I haven't had C-Diff but they tested me for it a couple times during
    treatment ealy onas I had diarrhea on a couple occasions.

I see from your "expressions" you learned about your cancer shortly
    after having a staph infection. Evidently staph (MRSA) and C-Diff are
    easy to get in healthcare environments (like hospitals).

While I was in the hospital getting my chemo treatments, they would usually
    come around once in the beginning and swab my nose to check for staph.
    Fortunately, I didn't have any issues.

Not much help but wanted you to know your message was heard.

Hugs and positive thoughts,

Jim
    DX: DLBL 4/2011, Chemo completed 10/2011, currently in remission. :)
  • COBRA666
    COBRA666 Member Posts: 2,401 Member
    c-diff
    Tall,
    I never had c-diff either,but as far as staph it is most common to get from a hospital.People pick it up and leave the hosp. and spread it to the community. Just doesn't sound right. Then again people go to the hosp and emergency rooms because they are sick to begin with and spread the germs to anyone that comes in contact with it.There is more germs in a hospital than anywhere else. John
  • jimwins
    COBRA666 said:

c-diff
    Tall,
    I never had c-diff either,but as far as staph it is most common to get from a hospital.People pick it up and leave the hosp. and spread it to the community. Just doesn't sound right. Then again people go to the hosp and emergency rooms because they are sick to begin with and spread the germs to anyone that comes in contact with it.There is more germs in a hospital than anywhere else. John

Interesting coincidence - I
    Interesting coincidence - I was going to visit a friend this weekend but he has
    a staph infection! Regarding emergency rooms, my oncologist told me that during
    treatment if I had a fever of greater than 100.5, to call the cancer center and
    they would admit me up over the phone and to come directly to the hospital floor.
    She strongly suggested against going to the emergency room.

My sister (rest her soul) was keenly aware of this. Though it kind of got
    on my nerves (and is funny now), when I first started treatment she came in
    with a large container of disinfectant wipes. She wiped down everything
    in the room - including the door handles, phone and remote control.
    I realize it was also a way for her to feel like she was doing something to help.
    Still miss her - been about 4 months now since she passed.

Jim
  • COBRA666
    COBRA666 Member Posts: 2,401 Member
    jimwins said:

Interesting coincidence - I
    Interesting coincidence - I was going to visit a friend this weekend but he has
    a staph infection! Regarding emergency rooms, my oncologist told me that during
    treatment if I had a fever of greater than 100.5, to call the cancer center and
    they would admit me up over the phone and to come directly to the hospital floor.
    She strongly suggested against going to the emergency room.

My sister (rest her soul) was keenly aware of this. Though it kind of got
    on my nerves (and is funny now), when I first started treatment she came in
    with a large container of disinfectant wipes. She wiped down everything
    in the room - including the door handles, phone and remote control.
    I realize it was also a way for her to feel like she was doing something to help.
    Still miss her - been about 4 months now since she passed.

Jim

Missing Someone
    Jim,
    I know what you mean about missing someone. I lost my mother 1 year ago this month. I still miss calling her every Monday night. She was in Md and I am in NC. She 84,but still sharp as a tack. John
  • tall floridian
    tall floridian Member Posts: 95
    jimwins said:

Hi Tall
    Hi Tall :),

I haven't had C-Diff but they tested me for it a couple times during
    treatment ealy onas I had diarrhea on a couple occasions.

I see from your "expressions" you learned about your cancer shortly
    after having a staph infection. Evidently staph (MRSA) and C-Diff are
    easy to get in healthcare environments (like hospitals).

While I was in the hospital getting my chemo treatments, they would usually
    come around once in the beginning and swab my nose to check for staph.
    Fortunately, I didn't have any issues.

Not much help but wanted you to know your message was heard.

Jim

Jim thanks for your reply
    Last month I spent 16 days in the hospital with c.diff, a new blood clot in my left leg developed (now have one in each leg) had a Greenfied shied installed which will deflect blood clots. I had 5 doctors working on my terrible diarrea - giving me every kind of anti-biotic treatment - they installed a rectal tube to help but didn't know until I had my colonoscopy that I had colitus very bad. Finally the colonoscopy doctor put me on vancomyson and the diarrea subsided. I then was sent to a medical rehab where my dirrea developed in 8 days again. Learning from the mistake at the hospital I insisted on taking
    vanco and in a week the diarrea disappeared. I spent a month there much in physical theraphy and taking my blood clot shots and vanco and returned home a week ago. To my amazement this Saturday I started diarrea again but didn't hesitate to go to my doctor for a vanco and pro-biotic script. This round and round malady is driving me nuts. I read in yesterdays medical section that my colonoscopy doctor has a new procedure that injects donated feces that have been thoroughly screened into patients with cronic c.diff with a 95% success rate. I will chat with him today to see if I qualify for his procedure.
  • onlytoday
    onlytoday Member Posts: 609 Member
    C-Diff
    Hi,
    I had C-Diff in Dec 2010-Feb 2011 following two rounds of antibiotics that wiped out my good bacteria that I needed in my gut. I had the antibiotics for upper respiratory infections following Rituxan therapy. In March of 2011 I tested negative for C Diff but still had symptoms. Different than the severe C diff symptoms in the beginning but still having 5 movements a day and a lot of discomfort. This has gone on until present but I finally have an answer. After the C Diff I got Small Intestinal Bacteria Overgrowth or SIBO. It is treated with yet another antibiotic. I have had four rounds of antibiotic with no success. Now I will be starting chemo (Treanda) and we are hopeful that it will not only put my Marginal Zone NHL into remission but that it will also help the antibiotic to clear the SIBO and also take care of other issues I am having.

Good luck to you!
    Hugs,
    Donna
  • tall floridian
    onlytoday said:

C-Diff
    Hi,
    I had C-Diff in Dec 2010-Feb 2011 following two rounds of antibiotics that wiped out my good bacteria that I needed in my gut. I had the antibiotics for upper respiratory infections following Rituxan therapy. In March of 2011 I tested negative for C Diff but still had symptoms. Different than the severe C diff symptoms in the beginning but still having 5 movements a day and a lot of discomfort. This has gone on until present but I finally have an answer. After the C Diff I got Small Intestinal Bacteria Overgrowth or SIBO. It is treated with yet another antibiotic. I have had four rounds of antibiotic with no success. Now I will be starting chemo (Treanda) and we are hopeful that it will not only put my Marginal Zone NHL into remission but that it will also help the antibiotic to clear the SIBO and also take care of other issues I am having.

Good luck to you!
    Hugs,
    Donna

c.diff problems
    Hi Donna - c.diff is one terrible thing.I'm due for my 3rd chemo maintence but my Dr. is holding up until the c.diff is under control. I can't go anywhere since my bowels are uncontrolable (can't use public bathrooms anyway - would infect many) So here I sit at home hoping that the vanco kicks in with the pro-biotic (15 billion good bacteria) and gives me some relief. My wife and family have been such an awesome help bearing with me through this rough time. I'm praying for you too-that all goes well and that your issues are taken care of and relief comes. Hugs Steve
  • onlytoday

c.diff problems
    Hi Donna - c.diff is one terrible thing.I'm due for my 3rd chemo maintence but my Dr. is holding up until the c.diff is under control. I can't go anywhere since my bowels are uncontrolable (can't use public bathrooms anyway - would infect many) So here I sit at home hoping that the vanco kicks in with the pro-biotic (15 billion good bacteria) and gives me some relief. My wife and family have been such an awesome help bearing with me through this rough time. I'm praying for you too-that all goes well and that your issues are taken care of and relief comes. Hugs Steve

C diff
    Steve,
    Boy I sure can remember those C diff days. Can you imagine I was stupid enough to go to work with it ?(took clorox with me and would clean the bathroom as to not infect others). I remember having to put my phone on hold during conference calls so I could run...

Terrible nasty stuff. I really hope your symptoms leave soon!

All the best to you,
    Hugs,
    Donna
  • tall floridian
    onlytoday said:

C diff
    Steve,
    Boy I sure can remember those C diff days. Can you imagine I was stupid enough to go to work with it ?(took clorox with me and would clean the bathroom as to not infect others). I remember having to put my phone on hold during conference calls so I could run...

Terrible nasty stuff. I really hope your symptoms leave soon!

All the best to you,
    Hugs,
    Donna

Thank you Donna
    Donna, c-diff sure is nasty stuff. I hesitate to even go outside the house and stay close to the bathroom most of the time. This morning to my surprise when I had a BM I discovered just loose bowels so I'm hoping that after 4 days of vanco and pro-biotics I'm over the c-diff but will continue taking them for the prescibed 14 days my doc ordered. I've got to get back to normal - my 3rd chemo maintence is due next week and don't want to miss getting that. Thanks again for your reply. Hugs-Steve
  • jimwins

Thank you Donna
    Donna, c-diff sure is nasty stuff. I hesitate to even go outside the house and stay close to the bathroom most of the time. This morning to my surprise when I had a BM I discovered just loose bowels so I'm hoping that after 4 days of vanco and pro-biotics I'm over the c-diff but will continue taking them for the prescibed 14 days my doc ordered. I've got to get back to normal - my 3rd chemo maintence is due next week and don't want to miss getting that. Thanks again for your reply. Hugs-Steve

Glad you're doing better
    Glad you're doing better, Tall :).
    Hope you're back to normal soon and your
    "center of gravity" will no longer be the bathroom.
    Been there, done that, hated it. Got the T shirt :).

Jim
  • tall floridian
    jimwins said:

Glad you're doing better
    Glad you're doing better, Tall :).
    Hope you're back to normal soon and your
    "center of gravity" will no longer be the bathroom.
    Been there, done that, hated it. Got the T shirt :).

Jim

c.diff problems
    Jim: Infectious disease doc has me on vanco first 4 times a day - this week 3 times a day- next week 2 times a day and last week 1 time a day. I hope I'm over c.diff for good as it was getting a bit old and hard to take. Also my blood doc is suspending my chemo maintenance at 2 - saying that my cancer is in remission and that he's afraid the chemo was causing me hospital stays- I'll have another pet scan in 6 months to check things out.Thanks for your post- High 5 brother
  • jimwins

c.diff problems
    Jim: Infectious disease doc has me on vanco first 4 times a day - this week 3 times a day- next week 2 times a day and last week 1 time a day. I hope I'm over c.diff for good as it was getting a bit old and hard to take. Also my blood doc is suspending my chemo maintenance at 2 - saying that my cancer is in remission and that he's afraid the chemo was causing me hospital stays- I'll have another pet scan in 6 months to check things out.Thanks for your post- High 5 brother

Great news
    That is great news and I'm happy for you!
  • onlytoday

c.diff problems

C Diff and Chemo
    This sure is good news! Hoping the c-diff is DONE! And great news that you can do without chemo and are in Remission!

Hugs,
    Donna
  • onlytoday

c.diff problems

C Diff and Chemo
    This sure is good news! Hoping the c-diff is DONE! And great news that you can do without chemo and are in Remission!

Hugs,
    Donna