Meeting with the surgeon on Friday

lac1005
lac1005 Member Posts: 3
So, my DH was diagnosed at age 39 with Rectal cancer on 1-11-12. He started chemo (Xeloda) and radiation on February 6th. Did 28 treatments which ended on March 14th.

We met with the Colorectal surgeon on March 5th, he did a scope and said the tumor was shirking. We are going back on this Friday. The surgeon will do a scope and an ultrasound in the office. From there we will set the surgery date (anywhere from 7-10 weeks after his last treatment) for May.

He told us at the March 5th appointment that we would discuss the surgery in more detail at this appointment. He mentioned laparoscopic surgery in this meeting.

My question is to all of you, what questions should I ask the doctor at this visit?

Thanks!
Lori

Comments

• tommycat
    tommycat Member Posts: 790 Member
    Hello and Welcome
    Hi there,
    Glad to hear the tumor shrunk enough for surgery---your hubby is off to a positive start.
    I was diagnosed Stage 3 rectal in June 2009 did rad/chemo, then surgery that October with a temp ilestomy placed, more chemo during that year, and then the 'take down' reconnection surgery in Oct., 2010. So, my surgery was not laprascopic but more intrusive.
    However, what everyone wants is what is called clear margins, meaning the surgeon believes she removed the complete tumor and then a little extra around the edges. The edges will be sent to a lad and dissected to make sure they are cancer-free.
    One question you may want to ask is if the laprascopic surgery is thorough enough for your husband's particular tumor size/shape/placement in his rectum.
    Also, your husband will want to ask what changes he can expect post surgery in his BMs and, anticipating those changes, what can he do to help himself.
    Hope it all goes as smoothly as possible.
    Take care~
  • danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member
    lori
    I agree with tommycat!!! ake sure they get it all. A friend ended up with reoccurance at margin resulting in permanent colostomy. Not impossible to live with.but best to be avoided Good luck My best to you both.
  • Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Dear Lori
    Glad to hear taht chemo and radiation are having the desired effect.

It is possible that he may have to have a temp or perm colostomy...mine was perm. If either, you will want to be sure to get a referal to the ostomy nurse. That is the person who will do the marking for the optimum placement as well as give you education of how to deal with it. If perm, don't dispair, life can still be good with an ostomy.

While laproscopic surgery eliminates the major cutting your doctor will give specific instruction on what can and can't be done during recovery. Following these instructions is very important to prevent other issues from occurring.

After you find out more about what the surgeon plans, let us know and those here should be able to offer more advise. Remember, you can get answers from your doctor even if after an appointment. Ask how he likes best to communicate. Some will offer an email address. Some you can just drop off or fax follow-up questions. Calling is probably last on the list as it is tough to get them on the first try.

Wishing hubby best with his surgery.

Marie who loves kitties