Bi-Lateral Mastectomy with immediate recon?

salls41
salls41 Member Posts: 340
edited April 2012 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyone out there had a bi-lateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction? This is my next step after my chemo is complete and I would love to know what I am facing. I have seen where some choose no reconstruction and I am wondering why? Are there concerns or questions I have overlooked? I have grade 3 stage 2 triple negative idc. My tumor was larger than an egg but has since shrunk to the point that it can not be felt.
I wonder how long my recovery may be. I am about 50 pounds overweight will this be a concern?
Any information will be appreciated.
Sandy

Comments

• Texasgirl10
    Texasgirl10 Member Posts: 668
    Surgery
    I just wanted to say hi and good luck with your surgery. I have inflammatory breast cancer so unfortunately when I had my bilateral last year I was not able to have reconstruction so I don't have any words of advice. I will pray for a successfull surgery with a speedy recovery for you.

God Bless,

Dawne
  • salls41

Surgery
    I just wanted to say hi and good luck with your surgery. I have inflammatory breast cancer so unfortunately when I had my bilateral last year I was not able to have reconstruction so I don't have any words of advice. I will pray for a successfull surgery with a speedy recovery for you.

God Bless,

Dawne

Surgery
    Thank you Dawne.
  • serenity92
    serenity92 Member Posts: 84
    Hey Sandy;
    What kind of

Hey Sandy;
    What kind of reconstruction are you doing? I had a bilateral with expander placement in august. I have since undergone the steps to the exchange surgery. I have a little ways to go. Tweeking, nipples and tattooing, but if this is the type of surgery you are having I would be happy to chat. By the way I too am about fifty pounds heavier than i would like to be...Jayne
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944

Hey Sandy;
    What kind of

Hey Sandy;
    What kind of reconstruction are you doing? I had a bilateral with expander placement in august. I have since undergone the steps to the exchange surgery. I have a little ways to go. Tweeking, nipples and tattooing, but if this is the type of surgery you are having I would be happy to chat. By the way I too am about fifty pounds heavier than i would like to be...Jayne

Sandy,
    Feb. 28th 2011 I had a bi-lateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction and I like Jayne went with the tissue expanders. Are you doing the same process or the flap procedure? I have Natrelle saline implants and their website has very good reading material on reconstruction. I've enclosed a link for you to check out. When I awoke from surgery (it was approximately 5 hours) I had a drain tube on each side. Those will be a pain in the butt for a few weeks but they are definitely needed to reduce infection. I was numb afterwards and one year later I am still numb. I've since had my exchange surgery this past November and am waiting insurance approval to have hopefully my final surgery to remove excess skin and do a little bit of fat grafting. Plastic surgeons are so good at what they do. I wish you well as you continue your journey. Stay strong and keep up the fight.

Hugs,
    Lorrie

http://www.natrelle.com/breast_reconstruction.aspx
  • alombard
    alombard Member Posts: 1
    Hi Sandy,
    I went thru a nipple sparring bi-lateral mastectomy w. immendiate recon in December and have been very happy with the results.
    I was in the hospital for about 4 days and then had drains in both for about a week afterwards. Recovery went a little slower for me because I got an infection on the right breast and had to have that implant removed and replaced. I was feeling much better and back to my old routine by the end of Jan.
    I was happy I was able to do the nipple sparring procedure. I dont have feeling in the nipples but I'm happy with the cosmetic look of it all. Plastic surgeons can do so many wonderful things now so I think you'll be happy with the outcome and have more peace of mind afterwards.
    Good luck and wish you the best.
    Amy
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    alombard said:

Hi Sandy,
    I went thru a nipple sparring bi-lateral mastectomy w. immendiate recon in December and have been very happy with the results.
    I was in the hospital for about 4 days and then had drains in both for about a week afterwards. Recovery went a little slower for me because I got an infection on the right breast and had to have that implant removed and replaced. I was feeling much better and back to my old routine by the end of Jan.
    I was happy I was able to do the nipple sparring procedure. I dont have feeling in the nipples but I'm happy with the cosmetic look of it all. Plastic surgeons can do so many wonderful things now so I think you'll be happy with the outcome and have more peace of mind afterwards.
    Good luck and wish you the best.
    Amy

Just my 2 cents:
    take pain medication when necessary.

Multiple pillows in various, sizes will help you with sleeping on your back.

Please have cups, saucers, plates at arm level - as well as re-arranging your fridge for more commonly used items at arm levels. Tide/Downy small container sizes - also at arm level.

Reaching up and grabbing heavy items -- will tear your stitches, as well as hurt your arms. Muscles and tissue in breast, as well as arm areas will be cut,moved and sewn back together.

I tried to take a bath ..but hence could not pull myself out of the our spa tub, no muscles or strength in my arms after bilateral mastectomy.. It took my husband, and daughter some time to pull me out of the tub == without hurting me. Not a pretty time, or sight to say the least. So I opted to shower ...My husband removed our shower head, and replaced it with a flex hose type so I could shower maneuvering the flex hose from waist down, as well as place shower water under my arms.

Lastly, please make sure you do your exercises as prescribed by Plastic Surgeon, and Physical Therapist.

Strength, Courage, Hope and Speedy recovery.

Vicki Sam
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    I wish you
    the best with your surgery. I had bilateral mastectomy with no reconstruction. I was 61 and had already had 11 surgeries in the 4 previous years. I did chemo and rads after surgery. I'm the 5th in my family with bc. I too am 50 lbs overweight and although I did see a plastic surgeon before my mastectomy my options were limited. I wear prosthetic breasts. Not a great option but they look normal under clothes.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • salls41

Sandy,
    Feb. 28th 2011 I had a bi-lateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction and I like Jayne went with the tissue expanders. Are you doing the same process or the flap procedure? I have Natrelle saline implants and their website has very good reading material on reconstruction. I've enclosed a link for you to check out. When I awoke from surgery (it was approximately 5 hours) I had a drain tube on each side. Those will be a pain in the butt for a few weeks but they are definitely needed to reduce infection. I was numb afterwards and one year later I am still numb. I've since had my exchange surgery this past November and am waiting insurance approval to have hopefully my final surgery to remove excess skin and do a little bit of fat grafting. Plastic surgeons are so good at what they do. I wish you well as you continue your journey. Stay strong and keep up the fight.

Hugs,
    Lorrie

http://www.natrelle.com/breast_reconstruction.aspx

Not sure what type yet
    Thank you so much for the helpful information. I don't know what type of surgery I will be having as I have not had my appt with the plastic surgeon yet. I am having my final chemo this Thursday and will see him on 5/1.
  • deerello
    deerello Member Posts: 22
    Bi-Lateral Mastectomy w/ immediate reconstruction
    I had my surgery at the end of February. My plastic surgeon felt like the best option was to put permanent implants in. He felt confident. However, a week later I had tissue necrosis and had to go back into surgery. Shortly after that I started chemo, and had continous problems (oddly enough primarily with the cancer free breast). But we fought to get them to heal in spite of the chemo. Finally, though,the implant had to be removed. So once I am fully healed we can go back in and put another implant in. Maybe I should have gone with tissue expanders, maybe I should have waited, who knows? My doctor felt like it would work but I guess that is the luck of the draw. Now I am concerned about the radiation I am supposed to have, will that cause even more disfigurement? So good luck no matter which course you choose.
  • bjd7886
    bjd7886 Member Posts: 2
    Bil Mastectomy
    Hi Sandy, I just had Bil Mastectomy with immediate expander inplants placed at time of surgery, 5 weeks ago. Have extensive family history of breast Cancer. I was diagnoised with DCIS high grade comedo type Cancer of the right breast but had the bilateral done because of the family history. Surgery took 5 hours, was in hospital 3 nights. Went home with 4 drains and they were the worst part of the whole thing. The expander inplants are just great, Plastic Surgeon is filling them with 100 mls of saline about 2 times per week.They took 2 lymph nodes at time of surgery and they came back negative. am exersicing arms at a good pace, just not lifting heavy things yet. would highly recommend expander inplants verse the other types because they are to involved,painful and recovery time is to long. After 2 weeks i basicilly was doing everything in the house. I was driving 7 days after surgery because i wasn't taking pain meds, didn't need to everything from collarbone to top of ribcage is numb.
  • bjd7886
    bjd7886 Member Posts: 2
    Bil Mastectomy
    I saw from your profile that your daughter lives in Florida, so do I. My Plastic Surgeon is great Dr. Hilton Becker, in Boca Raton Fl. Hope you find a wonderful Plastic Surgeon as I did. I am more than 50 lbs over weight and the other two Plastics that i went to really didn't make me feel good they stated that i should wait and loose weight before reconstruction, very cold they were. Dr. Becker knew exactly what to do and i am so happy.Good luck and stay positive.