Update

Just wanted to offer a quick update. My husband has DLBC Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. I should say HAD! He recently had a repeat PET scan after his 3rd R-CHOP treatment and there was no sign of cancer. We are very Blessed. Initially, his cancer was in his left tonsil and a few surrounding lymph nodes. He will continue treatment with radiation starting next week. This is unchartered territory for us. We are not quite sure what to expect. We have heard that he will have fatigue and probably a sore throat, but how bad? Will he be able to swallow? I sure hate to see him in pain. His radiation treatment will be every weekday for 3-4 weeks.
Back to focusing on the good news. We can see a light at the end of the tunnel :)
Thank you all so much for your advice, well wishes and prayers. Even though I don't chime in very often, I log in and read all of your posts daily.
I pray for you too. Take care,
Nikki.

Comments

• vinny59
    vinny59 Member Posts: 1,036 Member
    good news!
    Great news Nikki, my first cancer was head and neck, I had it pretty bad,I loss all sense of taste,although never really had a hard time swallowing, until they removed my left tonsil. Make sure your husband takes care of his teeth also. I still have mine! He will probably have dry mouth, there is a product out there that helps with that.I can't remember the brand name, ( chemo brain!) There is also a mouth wash that will help with the soreness in his throat. He will not feel like eating or even drinking anything, please be patient with him. Try to get him to drink as much water as possible. Sorry for all the negatives but he will get through it..... Vinny
  • anliperez915
    anliperez915 Member Posts: 770
    Hi Nikki
    Hi Nikki,
    That is wonderful news! I don't know if his treatments were really hard on him but it's great that he's almost done with it all. He got rid of the big C pretty fast, I only had Rituxan so I don't really know about chemo treatments (I guess I was lucky). Hope your also taking care of yourself and get a little time off for yourself too, I know that it can be hard for caretakers. Keeping both of you in mind and sending you positive thoughts. Take care

Sincerely,
    Liz
  • allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178 Member
    Update
    Hi Nikki,
    I'm so happy for both of you. I've not done radiation, so I have no information to share on how that will go fo him. I do know from what others have said, fatigue is common, but with resting and listening to his body, I'm sure he will do just fine.Thanks so much for the update, and I will keep you both in my prayers. Best wishes...Sue
    (FNHL-2-3A-6/10)
  • jimwins
    jimwins Member Posts: 2,107
    Wonderful News !
    Hi Nikki,
    Thanks for sharing. I don't have experience with radiation but from
    what I have read on here, most people experience soreness and irritation.

Congratulations! One hurdle cleared!

Hugs and positive thoughts,

Jim
    DX: DLBL 4/2011, Chemo completed 10/2011, currently in remission. :)
    Members are sharing recipes!:
    Recipe Sharing Project
  • nikkig43
    nikkig43 Member Posts: 73
    vinny59 said:

good news!
    Great news Nikki, my first cancer was head and neck, I had it pretty bad,I loss all sense of taste,although never really had a hard time swallowing, until they removed my left tonsil. Make sure your husband takes care of his teeth also. I still have mine! He will probably have dry mouth, there is a product out there that helps with that.I can't remember the brand name, ( chemo brain!) There is also a mouth wash that will help with the soreness in his throat. He will not feel like eating or even drinking anything, please be patient with him. Try to get him to drink as much water as possible. Sorry for all the negatives but he will get through it..... Vinny

Thanks for the good advice
    Thanks for the good advice Vinny.
    I have heard that the sore throat comes on gradually after the radiation treatment starts so I'm hoping that if the treatment only lasts 3-4 weeks, it won't get too bad. I'm hoping anyway. He's feeling so good now I just hate to see him down. How long did you have radiation?
    You are always such a beacon of hope to everyone on this site. Thank you for that.
    I hope you are doing well. Take care.
  • nikkig43

Hi Nikki
    Hi Nikki,
    That is wonderful news! I don't know if his treatments were really hard on him but it's great that he's almost done with it all. He got rid of the big C pretty fast, I only had Rituxan so I don't really know about chemo treatments (I guess I was lucky). Hope your also taking care of yourself and get a little time off for yourself too, I know that it can be hard for caretakers. Keeping both of you in mind and sending you positive thoughts. Take care

Sincerely,
    Liz

Hi Liz,
    Thanks for your support.
    I really do need to take better care of myself. I'm running myself crazy with 2 jobs and I appointed myself the position of Chief Worrier for the entire family. Haha. Not sleeping much either. I really need to slow down.
    Thanks again. Take care, Nikki.
  • nikkig43
    allmost60 said:

Update
    Hi Nikki,
    I'm so happy for both of you. I've not done radiation, so I have no information to share on how that will go fo him. I do know from what others have said, fatigue is common, but with resting and listening to his body, I'm sure he will do just fine.Thanks so much for the update, and I will keep you both in my prayers. Best wishes...Sue
    (FNHL-2-3A-6/10)

Thanks Sue
    I really appreciate your advice and kind words.
    Take care, Nikki
  • nikkig43
    jimwins said:

Wonderful News !
    Hi Nikki,
    Thanks for sharing. I don't have experience with radiation but from
    what I have read on here, most people experience soreness and irritation.

Congratulations! One hurdle cleared!

Hugs and positive thoughts,

Jim
    DX: DLBL 4/2011, Chemo completed 10/2011, currently in remission. :)
    Members are sharing recipes!:
    Recipe Sharing Project

Hi Jim,
    Thanks for your input. I really appreciate your encouragement and positive thinking.
    I hope you are feeling well.
    Take care, Nikki.
  • vinny59
    vinny59 Member Posts: 1,036 Member
    nikkig43 said:

Thanks for the good advice
    Thanks for the good advice Vinny.
    I have heard that the sore throat comes on gradually after the radiation treatment starts so I'm hoping that if the treatment only lasts 3-4 weeks, it won't get too bad. I'm hoping anyway. He's feeling so good now I just hate to see him down. How long did you have radiation?
    You are always such a beacon of hope to everyone on this site. Thank you for that.
    I hope you are doing well. Take care.

thanks!
    Thanks for the kind words! I had 8 weeks of radiation, so that's great news for your husband, I think most of those problems from his treatment won't even start.... best of luck for you guy's............... Vinny
  • onlytoday
    onlytoday Member Posts: 609 Member
    Radiation
    Nikki,

I wish your husband well and pray that his next treatment is easy! I have not had radiation myself but my brother had it for mouth and neck cancer. As Vinny said, the dry mouth is something to watch and take care of. My brother did not use the mouth wash recommended and ended up with a lot of dental issues. Expensive mistake! That was the only complaint my brother had about his experience. And the radiation took care of the cancer. :)

Prayers to you and your husband!

Donna
  • forme
    forme Member Posts: 1,161 Member
    radiation
    Hi Nikki

I too have had rads. Not fun, but doable. Depending on the dose and the location being targeted, you and your husband may want to ask your Docs about receiving Amifostine. the medication really helps to protect salivary function. Many Docs will not use it, and the resulting outcome is loads of dental issues down the road.

Also, on the Head and Neck board there is a wonderful thread full of info about rads and all that goes with it. It is updated and kept on the first page every week. I have refered to many many times. It's called the SUPERTHREAD. Please look it up, you will find most of your answers there. I wish I knew how to post a link to it, sorry. Maybe one of our brilliant folks will be able to do that for you. I think that someone posted an easy link in the past.

Wishing you both an easy time ahead.
    Lisha
  • JoanieP
    JoanieP Member Posts: 573
    Nikkig
    I am so happy to hear the wonderful news. God is good
  • nikkig43
    onlytoday said:

Radiation
    Nikki,

I wish your husband well and pray that his next treatment is easy! I have not had radiation myself but my brother had it for mouth and neck cancer. As Vinny said, the dry mouth is something to watch and take care of. My brother did not use the mouth wash recommended and ended up with a lot of dental issues. Expensive mistake! That was the only complaint my brother had about his experience. And the radiation took care of the cancer. :)

Prayers to you and your husband!

Donna

Thanks Donna
    Good to know about the mouthwash. I'll pass your advice on to him. And the doctor recommended a SoniCare toothbrush. I'll make sure I pick one up.
    I'm happy to hear that your brother was cured! Very encouraging. I hope you are feeling well.
    Thanks again. Take care, Nikki
  • nikkig43
    forme said:

radiation
    Hi Nikki

I too have had rads. Not fun, but doable. Depending on the dose and the location being targeted, you and your husband may want to ask your Docs about receiving Amifostine. the medication really helps to protect salivary function. Many Docs will not use it, and the resulting outcome is loads of dental issues down the road.

Also, on the Head and Neck board there is a wonderful thread full of info about rads and all that goes with it. It is updated and kept on the first page every week. I have refered to many many times. It's called the SUPERTHREAD. Please look it up, you will find most of your answers there. I wish I knew how to post a link to it, sorry. Maybe one of our brilliant folks will be able to do that for you. I think that someone posted an easy link in the past.

Wishing you both an easy time ahead.
    Lisha

Hello Lisha
    I'm sorry you had a rough time with your radiation treatment. This whole cancer thing just stinks, to put it very mildly. For everyone.
    I'll ask the doctor about Amifostine. Thanks for the info. I wonder why some docs won't use it?
    And great idea about the head and neck board. I will definitely check it out. I'm sure there will be tons of information there.
    Joel's doctor called today to say he needs another week to prepare for the treatment. More waiting.... Ahhh.
    Anyway, Joel is such a laid back, easy going person. He's fine with waiting. I'm the worrier. I wish I could be more like him :)
    Thanks again for helping me.
    Take care, Nikki
  • nikkig43
    JoanieP said:

Nikkig
    I am so happy to hear the wonderful news. God is good

Thanks Joanie
    God IS good.
    Take care, Nikki.