DIEP Flap troubles

Kimmie64
Kimmie64 Member Posts: 2
HI!
I have recently joined csn site and love all the love and care everyone shares. I posted my story on Expressions Gallery,but will add it here to give a history.

I had a bilateral mastectomy with immediate DIEP Flap reconstruction March 6th at Ann Arundel Medical Ctr, Annapolis Maryland. I had DCIS in one breast where I have had 7 biopsies and 3 lumpectomies over the past 3 years. I opted to have the bilateral and reconstruct for a matching pair to be done with wondering and you can only have the DIEP once. There were already calcifications in the other one, so I didn't want to play the same 6 month game of mamos, biopsies, & surgeries all over again. They did a sentinal node test which was clean!

I am small (size 4) and wasn't sure if I would be a good candidate for the DIEP. My breast surgeon & Plastics thought I was as I wanted a more natural feel than dealing with implants. I also only have one kidney so I didn't want to be going through MRI's or worry about more surgery down the line. Mostly though I wanted the natural feel of the DIEP. I wasn't crazy about the scar, but it is a trade off you can live with.

I have been doing so well, walking my neighborhood, standing almost up straight, feeling positive and in great spirits!!! However, at week 4 an area of my incision where the doc was concerned that the tissue would die did just that and an area of the scab came off exposing the fatty tissue. It has been one week now and the fatty tissue has cleared out leaving it pink and raw but not as deep. He did not want to "reclose" me because it needs to heal the way it is and then he will fix the scar later. Has this happened to anyone? Also, to close me he pulled bottom skin (pubic area) up to meet top skin he was pulling down (like closing a tummy tuck) which doesn't look right to me. Because of new issues with incision I am still swollen and my tummy is not as "flat" as most rave. Is there anyone who has experienced this kind of closure? Do I just need to give things more time to heal and settle down?

Thank you for your feedback and encouragement!
Many blessings,
Kimmie64

Comments

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Welcome Kimmie
    Hi,
    Sorry for your healing problems. I am size 4 too and undergone DIEP Flap reconstruction in 2008. After the surgery I was given a waist binder to wear for 8 weeks. The binder was helping to keep tummy together and gause bandage which was protecting the scar. I also did follow restrictions on weight lifting and strenuous physical activities.
    Please see your doctor for swelling question. Please make sure you are not having infection at the surgery site.
    Wishing you the best
    New Flower
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613

Welcome Kimmie
    Hi,
    Sorry for your healing problems. I am size 4 too and undergone DIEP Flap reconstruction in 2008. After the surgery I was given a waist binder to wear for 8 weeks. The binder was helping to keep tummy together and gause bandage which was protecting the scar. I also did follow restrictions on weight lifting and strenuous physical activities.
    Please see your doctor for swelling question. Please make sure you are not having infection at the surgery site.
    Wishing you the best
    New Flower

Hi Kimmie!
    I also remember that they told me to put coco butter shortly after surgery. It helped with the tightness. Also, I do now remember having to wear that tummy binder like New Flower. It's been awhile but I'm remembering bits and pieces :/

Keep us posted!!

Hugs,

Sylvia
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    sea60 said:

Hi Kimmie!
    I also remember that they told me to put coco butter shortly after surgery. It helped with the tightness. Also, I do now remember having to wear that tummy binder like New Flower. It's been awhile but I'm remembering bits and pieces :/

Keep us posted!!

Hugs,

Sylvia

I opted for bilateral ... sorry I have no input,
    just wanted to see if there was any updates --- or suggestions by your Plastic Surgeon ...

Vicki Sam
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member

Welcome Kimmie
    Hi,
    Wishing you the best
    New Flower

Kimmie, I can't offer much
    Kimmie, I can't offer much help as I had a lumpectomy, but, I know others that have had this procedure will give you great advice.

Hugs to you,

Debby