Rough week

CypressCynthia
CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
I have been having horrible, horrible "rib" pain on the side where I had the bone mets in my ribs. I have been freaked out and scared all week. Pain has been crippling.

Last night, a rash broke out and I realized that this was not a recurrence but shingles. I never, ever thought I would be thrilled to welcome shingles. Still in pain, but am hunkered down with valtrex and pain meds and am soooo relieved.

Comments

• Aahmie
    Aahmie Member Posts: 23
    Glad you're relieved
    Stay hunkered down but I hope feel better soon!
    Jennifer
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Aahmie said:

Glad you're relieved
    Stay hunkered down but I hope feel better soon!
    Jennifer

CC -- sorry about the horrible rib pain ...
    I can not imagine the agony, and stress you went thru this past week or so.

Delighted to hear that your pain has been caused by shingles, and nothing more. :-)
    Medication, rest, and relaxation I guess is on the agenda for you, dear Sister!

Strength, Courage and HOPE for a Cure.

Vicki Sam
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    Never thought shingles would be a good thing
    But said a prayer of thanksgiving for no new cancer problems.

Hope you feel better soon!

Jennifer
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    grams2jc said:

Jennifer

Sorry about shingles, but . . .
    it sure got your mind away from the dark side, didn't it? Rest and take care of yourself.

Suzanne

PS Your subject scared me!
  • Texasgirl10
    Texasgirl10 Member Posts: 668
    grams2jc said:

Jennifer

Thankful for shingles
    My heart was in my throat while I was reading this and when I saw its shingles I let out a loud thank you Jesus. I'm sorry for the pain your in and I hope the valtrex starts working immediately. Stay hunkered down and get some rest.

Hugs and God Bless,

Dawne
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member

Thankful for shingles
    My heart was in my throat while I was reading this and when I saw its shingles I let out a loud thank you Jesus. I'm sorry for the pain your in and I hope the valtrex starts working immediately. Stay hunkered down and get some rest.

Hugs and God Bless,

Dawne

Who ever thought shingles would be a good thing?!
    So sorry you've been in such pain--mentally and physically. Hoping the meds are kicking in really well and that you're experiencing some comfort and relief by now.

Whew--deep breath. Hope you are able to rest and relax some this weekend.

Gentle hugs, Renee
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    The stress must have been so
    The stress must have been so awful for you and your family. So relieved to hear it was a bothersome case of shingles. Glad to hear the drugs are working for you! Keep going, you're doing GREAT!
    Hugs
  • eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member

The stress must have been so
    The stress must have been so awful for you and your family. So relieved to hear it was a bothersome case of shingles. Glad to hear the drugs are working for you! Keep going, you're doing GREAT!
    Hugs

Wow
    You poor girl....shingles can be sooooooo painful. My husband had them earlier this year, and I feel for you. Better than cancer yes, but.........:( As always,all in my prayers!
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    So glad it is shingles.
    But my sister who had it says that it was so... painful. Sorry you have to be in any pain at all.

Hugs and prayers that it clears up fast.
    Carol
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    camul said:

So glad it is shingles.
    But my sister who had it says that it was so... painful. Sorry you have to be in any pain at all.

Hugs and prayers that it clears up fast.
    Carol

Shingles...
    As said...who'd think shingles would be a "good thing?". ...I hate that your in so much pain though....my mother had them on her side and she said she'd rather give birth! I wish I had taken the shingles vaccine when I turned 60 last year, before my recurrence...can't have any vaccines while on chemo.....

Wishing you pain free days....
    Big hugs, Nancy
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    So sorry about the shingles
    So sorry about the shingles but I understand what you mean by it being a relief. Hoping they clear up soon. My hubby was given the vaccine and I am going to ask about it when I get insurance coverage. I think it is recommended for those over 65 but maybe they make expections for folks with compromised immune sytems or who have had cancer etc.
    Again, glad it was "only" shingles. LOL
    stef
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    I am glad
    for you that it is the case of shingles causing you so much pain. Not that i am wishing you pain though. Shingles is very painful and i hope you feel much better soon.
    take care
    laura
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Shingles
    Hi CC,

I have had rib shingles twice in my life, at age 24 (I told the doc, that could not be, only old people had shingles) and then 20 years later. I know the pain and it's awful nerve pain.

Wishing you a very short run of it.

Doris
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    SIROD said:

Shingles
    Hi CC,

I have had rib shingles twice in my life, at age 24 (I told the doc, that could not be, only old people had shingles) and then 20 years later. I know the pain and it's awful nerve pain.

Wishing you a very short run of it.

Doris

Thanks everyone for all of
    Thanks everyone for all of the well wishes. I am kicking myself for not having gotten the vaccine. I had hoped that I was somewhat protected because I had shingles in 2007 on my thigh. I got that early and it wasn't bad at all. This presented so differently--no tingling, just deep pain. Very scary. Hoping the valtrex takes care of it.
  • mom62
    mom62 Member Posts: 604 Member
    Painful
    Hi,

Sorry to hear about your shingles. I know they can be very painful. Hope you feel better soon.

Terry
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    mom62 said:

Painful
    Hi,

Sorry to hear about your shingles. I know they can be very painful. Hope you feel better soon.

Terry

I've heard that shingles is
    I've heard that shingles is VERY painful. You poor thing.
    Well, at least it was the lesser of two evils.
    Take care of yourself and hoping you are soon pain free.
    Hugs,
    Wanda
  • MsGebby
    MsGebby Member Posts: 659
    What a rollercoaster ride ...
    Sorry and happy at the same time. I hope you have a quick recovery from the shingles.

Rest and take care

xoxo
    Mary
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    MsGebby said:

What a rollercoaster ride ...
    Sorry and happy at the same time. I hope you have a quick recovery from the shingles.

Rest and take care

xoxo
    Mary

good news /bad news. hope
    good news /bad news. hope the valtrex fixes things. My husband had them along his ribs when he was 20. very painful.
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Indeed Shingles are painful
    However, if I remember correctly they are rarely if ever deadly. Will be saying a prayer for some pain reduction.
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Whew!
    Oh boy am I happy you have shingles rather than an recurrence, now that said I super hope those nasty shingles do not hang around too long and that you get relief very, very soon!

Hugs,

RE