Relay for Life musings

BethInAz
BethInAz Member Posts: 203 Member
It's been a long time since I've posted... I'm 2+ years cancer free and have been having a ball getting on with my life. I just wanted to let everybody know that I'm our team captain for the 2012 Relay for Life in our little rural Arizona town. At the meeting last night, when we were sharing about ourselves, I was asked what my dreams were. Immediately I started saying that my biggest dream was that I would see the birth of and get to know my future grandchildren. When I was diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago, I didn't think that would be in my future but now I believe that dream will become a reality! As I was speaking, I had a rush of emotion come over me which caught me a bit by surprise. Ladies, I don't think we ever get over those deep feelings that permeate our lives as a result of being cancer survivors. I pray that your journeys have been a blessing to you as you find out how strong you are! We women are amazing and we have so much to share with others. I'll be walking for all of you on June 15-16 throughout the night. I'm excited that I have a great team who will be joining me that night. We're going to raise some dollars for cancer research!

Comments

• Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Also walking Relay
    I am also a team captain for the first time in the Relay on June 15 & 16 in ILLINOIS. I am 3 years cancer free tomorrow. I am really looking forward to this, and I have a team of family and friends.
    Kathy
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Kat11 said:

Also walking Relay
    I am also a team captain for the first time in the Relay on June 15 & 16 in ILLINOIS. I am 3 years cancer free tomorrow. I am really looking forward to this, and I have a team of family and friends.
    Kathy

I am also going to be in Relay for Life in my central Indiana town.
    Actually, I was in the relay long before I was dx'ed. But I am
    glad to walk/run to help others. Good luck to everyone who is doing
    the relay this spring/summer.
  • ManWithaMission
    ManWithaMission Member Posts: 497
    Hi,Beth. I hope and pray that your dream does become reality,too. I am not a team captain, but my wife & I are on a team here in New Bern,N.C. Our Relay will be April 27th. I was cancer free for 3yrs. before it metastasised to the bones in October 2010. I will make the first survivor lap and then rest awhile before starting the second caregiver lap.

We got started with the Relay when my wife was diagnoised with Kidney Cancer in 2001. We started the Relay For Life the next year. I was so proud of her when she walked that first survivor lap and I held her hand for the second cargiver lap. Six years latter, I joined her on the track for my first survivors walk for Male Breast Cancer in 2008.

You all will be with me when I walk those couple of laps, but I don't spend the night.(Too big and too old to lay on the ground.) I go back the next morning for the final lap of the Relay. Hoping all the Relays are wonderful for all of us.

Robert
  • BethInAz

Hi,Beth. I hope and pray that your dream does become reality,too. I am not a team captain, but my wife & I are on a team here in New Bern,N.C. Our Relay will be April 27th. I was cancer free for 3yrs. before it metastasised to the bones in October 2010. I will make the first survivor lap and then rest awhile before starting the second caregiver lap.

We got started with the Relay when my wife was diagnoised with Kidney Cancer in 2001. We started the Relay For Life the next year. I was so proud of her when she walked that first survivor lap and I held her hand for the second cargiver lap. Six years latter, I joined her on the track for my first survivors walk for Male Breast Cancer in 2008.

You all will be with me when I walk those couple of laps, but I don't spend the night.(Too big and too old to lay on the ground.) I go back the next morning for the final lap of the Relay. Hoping all the Relays are wonderful for all of us.

Robert

Blessings to you and your wife!
    Robert,
    Thank you for your post. I turn to mush when I hear the courageous stories of people who are cancer warriors, cancer survivors, and cancer caregivers. You and your wife must be a very special pair and I know that you are an inspiration to many. I'll remember you on April 27!
  • BethInAz
    Kat11 said:

Also walking Relay
    Kathy

Awesome we'll be walking together
    Kathy,
    It's totally awesome that we'll be walking together on June 15 & 16! Our team is our church - lots of people there who have been involved in Relay since the first time they all walked for me. Since then, we've added other people from our community. Such a great event. You'll love it!!
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    BethInAz said:

Blessings to you and your wife!
    Robert,
    Thank you for your post. I turn to mush when I hear the courageous stories of people who are cancer warriors, cancer survivors, and cancer caregivers. You and your wife must be a very special pair and I know that you are an inspiration to many. I'll remember you on April 27!

Glad to see you back! I have
    Glad to see you back! I have not been on much lately either. I will also be doing Relay for Life on April 27th. I have walked it for several years and this will be year number 3 as a survivor! I am a 2 year survivor but I walked it in April 2010 on the day of my 1st chemo!! God Bless
    (((hugs))) Janice
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    BethInAz said:

Awesome we'll be walking together
    Kathy,
    It's totally awesome that we'll be walking together on June 15 & 16! Our team is our church - lots of people there who have been involved in Relay since the first time they all walked for me. Since then, we've added other people from our community. Such a great event. You'll love it!!

Thanks!
    Thank you pinkies for walking for US! Enjoy it!

Sue :)