Disappointing HDIL2 News; MDX 1106 with Sutent/Votrient Clinical Trial may be next step

alice124
alice124 Member Posts: 896 Member
John (and I) met with Dr. Hammers today after John's scan to see if the HDIL2 had been successful. He said the scan reflected a mixed response, with most of his lung mets showing some growth, but one met showing a slight reduction. So--bottom line--no more HDIL2. As way of history, John had received 14 doses in the first round and 10 in the second during January/February 2012.

Dr. Hammers then started talking about a MDX 1106/TKI clinical trial. It's a phase I trial/dose escalation phase. He is recommending John for the trial but, as I think Fox told us, the screening process is quite involved and can take some time. The study itself is to determine if MDX1106 (BMS-936558) can be safely given with sunitinib or pazopanib. Will keep you posted.

Comments

• foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    MDX
    Good luck with the MDX. I'm not sure of the qualifications after having been on another drug first. I went to Yale New Haven looking for the interluekin but was offered the MDX. They told me we could persue the IL-2 if I did not respond. And so far so good. Do well John. Make us proud!
  • livealive
    livealive Member Posts: 127
    Another drug
    Alice, I spoke with a Kidney Cancer Association nurse this evening regarding my clinical trial. They tell me a new drug recently approved by the FDA for metastatic treatment called Axitinib. I am not sure where you are located, but am supposing are in an urban metropolis to access places like MD Anderson, Johns Hopkins and Sloan.

I hope I not creating "noise" with providing redundant information, but I will take the risk might this benefit you and John.

Below is a link, and you may simply google the drug -
    http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/druginfo/axitinib

My best wishes,
    Raj.
  • alice124
    livealive said:

Another drug
    Alice, I spoke with a Kidney Cancer Association nurse this evening regarding my clinical trial. They tell me a new drug recently approved by the FDA for metastatic treatment called Axitinib. I am not sure where you are located, but am supposing are in an urban metropolis to access places like MD Anderson, Johns Hopkins and Sloan.

I hope I not creating "noise" with providing redundant information, but I will take the risk might this benefit you and John.

Below is a link, and you may simply google the drug -
    http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/druginfo/axitinib

My best wishes,
    Raj.

axtinib
    Hi Raj - Thanks for link to axtinib. I will inquire at next visit. You mentioned your "clinical trial" and I tried to find what it is, but--with your aliases--I was unable to find much. May I ask what your clinical trial is or will be?

Btw, John is at Hopkins and actually we're fortunate in that we live in Baltimore, about as close to Hopkins as you'd want to be. I could easily walk to the hospital, but might not survive the area immediately surrounding Hopkins. In fact, I was robbed and almost carjacked within three blocks of there a couple years ago. But I still feel very fortunate to be so close. We meet people everytime we're there that travel continents or thousands of miles to get there. So as far as convenience, we're extremely lucky.
  • alice124
    alice124 said:

axtinib
    Hi Raj - Thanks for link to axtinib. I will inquire at next visit. You mentioned your "clinical trial" and I tried to find what it is, but--with your aliases--I was unable to find much. May I ask what your clinical trial is or will be?

Btw, John is at Hopkins and actually we're fortunate in that we live in Baltimore, about as close to Hopkins as you'd want to be. I could easily walk to the hospital, but might not survive the area immediately surrounding Hopkins. In fact, I was robbed and almost carjacked within three blocks of there a couple years ago. But I still feel very fortunate to be so close. We meet people everytime we're there that travel continents or thousands of miles to get there. So as far as convenience, we're extremely lucky.

P.S.
    Raj - don't worry about creating noise with me. I usually have to hear things a half dozen times before it computes. . .
  • Texas_wedge
    Texas_wedge Member Posts: 2,798
    alice124 said:

P.S.
    Raj - don't worry about creating noise with me. I usually have to hear things a half dozen times before it computes. . .

Axitinib
    It may be an important consideration for your Husband, Alice, that axitinib seems not to have problems of cross-resistance with sunitinib, sorafenib and the cytokines, always assuming that it is suitable for him and he is well enough to take it. It only got FDA approval in January and there are other targeted therapies well down the pipeline.
  • livealive
    livealive Member Posts: 127

Axitinib
    It may be an important consideration for your Husband, Alice, that axitinib seems not to have problems of cross-resistance with sunitinib, sorafenib and the cytokines, always assuming that it is suitable for him and he is well enough to take it. It only got FDA approval in January and there are other targeted therapies well down the pipeline.

Trial for Pazopanib
    Alice, this is a trial of Pazopanib which they are offering me since they removed the tumor, but they tell me of an invasion into a intra-renal vein, which put me a stage 3, and they are afraid (and scaring me) of recurrence. The decision has me in knots, and I have to decide in a couple days.
    Raj.
  • ksaldivar1
    ksaldivar1 Member Posts: 10
    Alice,
    Sounds like your

Alice,

Sounds like your husband and mine may bave similiar paths. My husband had a radical nephrectomy in Nov 2009, 11cm. Mets were found in his contra-lateral adrenal gland & bones in May 2010 so in July of 2011 he did HDIL2. Things remained constant, but no improvement, so he was not approved to do another round. In March of 2011 he participated in a clinial trial at the NIH, trial #NCT00720785 which was for Natural Killer Cells and bortezomid. He had some improvement, but not enough to continue treatment. In October 2011 he had an adrenalectomy and we just found out last month that he now has mets to his other adrenal gland (he also still has bone involvement). He is actually starting on Inlyta (axitinib) today. I will let you know how that goes. Best of luck to you!
  • alice124

Alice,
    Sounds like your

Alice,

Sounds like your husband and mine may bave similiar paths. My husband had a radical nephrectomy in Nov 2009, 11cm. Mets were found in his contra-lateral adrenal gland & bones in May 2010 so in July of 2011 he did HDIL2. Things remained constant, but no improvement, so he was not approved to do another round. In March of 2011 he participated in a clinial trial at the NIH, trial #NCT00720785 which was for Natural Killer Cells and bortezomid. He had some improvement, but not enough to continue treatment. In October 2011 he had an adrenalectomy and we just found out last month that he now has mets to his other adrenal gland (he also still has bone involvement). He is actually starting on Inlyta (axitinib) today. I will let you know how that goes. Best of luck to you!

Good luck - stay tough
    Will be checking on you and hubby. Wishing you the best. Just got word YESTERDAY that John has been approved (from BCBS) for MDX1106/TKI trial. Can't believe it has taken a month; now the screening starts.

He's not one to complain but he has had pain in his shoulder for several weeks. Keeps saying he did it getting out of car or something, but I don't know. Think now that he's mentioned to Dr., they are going to bring him in to scan. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
  • Texas_wedge
    Texas_wedge Member Posts: 2,798
    alice124 said:

Good luck - stay tough
    Will be checking on you and hubby. Wishing you the best. Just got word YESTERDAY that John has been approved (from BCBS) for MDX1106/TKI trial. Can't believe it has taken a month; now the screening starts.

He's not one to complain but he has had pain in his shoulder for several weeks. Keeps saying he did it getting out of car or something, but I don't know. Think now that he's mentioned to Dr., they are going to bring him in to scan. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

MDX-1106/TKI
    Alice, I believe there's some evidence of latency in the effects of HD Il2 therapy, such that John may well get continuing benefit from it for some months yet, after coming off it.

Fox is exceptional - we all know that - but what he's been able to tell us about MDX-1106 has to be very cheering for everyone and maybe John will soon be our second MDX poster boy.