FORKSoverKNIVES

hopeful and optimistic
hopeful and optimistic Member Posts: 2,339 Member
edited March 2012 in Prostate Cancer #1
This DVD is based on the works of Dr. T. Colin Campbell, researcher ( and , author of the China Study) which some of us read and as a result have made positive life style changes , and Caldwell Esselstyn MD who did clinical research on the same subject.The DVD presents documentation to support a whole plant based diet san dairy and eggs in order to prevent, control or even reverse "western" diseases such as heart, diabeties, and various forms of cancer.

I personally obtained the DVD from the public library, however one can buy from forksoverknives.com or I imagine Amazon

During the last several months, along with exercise, I eliminated dairy and red meat and for the most part fowl. I still eat some fish but less and less. I lost weight, the last blood test that I had was about three or four months ago my total cholestrol was in the 150's, my hdl rose, ldl dropped.Blood pressure is lower. I believe that the next time that I have blood work my numbers will show even better. I think that it will be interesting to obtain input from others who have made life style changes and hear about the results.

Remember, even if this life style does not help PCA, it great for the heart, the number one killer by far.

Comments

• Beau2
    Beau2 Member Posts: 261
    Thanks
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'll head down to the library next week, or buy a copy on line.

You asked about lifestyle changes of others. I certainly support a more vegen diet and would recommend everyone try some form of it.

On HDL ... Mine's always been banjaxed. Even when I was doing marathons and triatholons and eating vegen, I could only get it up to the mid 30s mg/dl. I tried everything including Niacin ... no help. When I went on Lipitor, my HDL went way down along with total cholestrol (HDL 27 mg/dl). Recently, I added pistachio (sp?) nuts (along with the almonds and walnuts I'd been eating) and weight training. HDL went up to 38 mg/dl. 38 isn't very good for a normal guy ... but it was a 40% increase for me! If I can bust 40 I'll be in hog even.

Hope others weigh in on lifestyle changes that work for them. I can use new ideas!
  • captivaguy
    captivaguy Member Posts: 14
    Beau2 said:

Thanks
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'll head down to the library next week, or buy a copy on line.

You asked about lifestyle changes of others. I certainly support a more vegen diet and would recommend everyone try some form of it.

On HDL ... Mine's always been banjaxed. Even when I was doing marathons and triatholons and eating vegen, I could only get it up to the mid 30s mg/dl. I tried everything including Niacin ... no help. When I went on Lipitor, my HDL went way down along with total cholestrol (HDL 27 mg/dl). Recently, I added pistachio (sp?) nuts (along with the almonds and walnuts I'd been eating) and weight training. HDL went up to 38 mg/dl. 38 isn't very good for a normal guy ... but it was a 40% increase for me! If I can bust 40 I'll be in hog even.

Hope others weigh in on lifestyle changes that work for them. I can use new ideas!

energy levels
    How is your energy? I go to the gym 3-4 times a week doing cardio and weight training.
    I also volunteer at the local hospital transporting patients. I walk about 4 miles a day at the hospital. I was thinking that with all this exercise I should have a lot of energy
    I had my second infusion of Provenge on thursday and it knocked me on my butt.Fatigue is one of the side effects, but had no idea it would be this bad.The first infusion wasn't this bad. I'm starting to get my energy back a little, but maybe in a week or so it might be better.
    I take vitamins every day and eat a lot of fruit but would appreciate any input or hints about getting my energy back

Thanks
  • VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,638 Member

energy levels
    How is your energy? I go to the gym 3-4 times a week doing cardio and weight training.
    I also volunteer at the local hospital transporting patients. I walk about 4 miles a day at the hospital. I was thinking that with all this exercise I should have a lot of energy
    I had my second infusion of Provenge on thursday and it knocked me on my butt.Fatigue is one of the side effects, but had no idea it would be this bad.The first infusion wasn't this bad. I'm starting to get my energy back a little, but maybe in a week or so it might be better.
    I take vitamins every day and eat a lot of fruit but would appreciate any input or hints about getting my energy back

Thanks

Raw, Live and Organic Ingredients
    Many posters in this forum have written about the importance of diet in our disease. This is another excellent thread by IRA (hopeful) in continuation of his post of 2009 (http://csn.cancer.org/node/168411#comment-651677).

Many have compared Asian dishes or ingredients with the westerners indiscriminately from which country they would belong.
    Though I believe in the importance of diet in our well being (we are what we eat), I am also sceptical about the “goodies” of Asian cooking, or even the acclaimed healthy Mediterranean foods, in leading our cancers.

I am a Portuguese born and feed with the traditional Mediterranean dishes; after graduation I moved to Japan where I stayed 30 years, and was feed with those “famous” oriental healthy foods and ingredients; back to Europe I continued with similar diets. However, nothing of that prevented me from getting Prostate cancer.

After reading much about the matter, I realized that the best prevention against disease is a change in our overall life style. One should engage not just in healthy diets but fitness programs and active performances, and avoid stress to its maximum. The “couch potato” may be the worse attitude one would take. Generations will be needed to change our body “composition” and it will take time until we sense that “what I am eating is in fact what I am”.

Changing our genes may be the only process to really change (drastically) our health into a status of avoiding cancer. Healthy living based on the overall “ingredients” may be the key for our “short” period in life.

No one can deny that diet is helping in my survival to PCa during the 12 years. And that some dishes have given me the strengths I looked for after RT and now on HT. But I have noticed that my daily walks of 8 km, gardening, golf, strategy “brain-crackers”, and low stress life style have influenced my positive attitude to confront the problem and feeling healthier.

A book given to me by my wife on Eating for Health in 2000 (after diagnosis) which have helped with fatigue is; Cancer Prevention Cooking, by Beatrice Heywood Taylor (newer edition 2004). The pictorial is so appealing that makes your mouth water.

Best to all.

VG
  • bdhilton
    bdhilton Member Posts: 846 Member

Raw, Live and Organic Ingredients
    Many posters in this forum have written about the importance of diet in our disease. This is another excellent thread by IRA (hopeful) in continuation of his post of 2009 (http://csn.cancer.org/node/168411#comment-651677).

Many have compared Asian dishes or ingredients with the westerners indiscriminately from which country they would belong.
    Though I believe in the importance of diet in our well being (we are what we eat), I am also sceptical about the “goodies” of Asian cooking, or even the acclaimed healthy Mediterranean foods, in leading our cancers.

I am a Portuguese born and feed with the traditional Mediterranean dishes; after graduation I moved to Japan where I stayed 30 years, and was feed with those “famous” oriental healthy foods and ingredients; back to Europe I continued with similar diets. However, nothing of that prevented me from getting Prostate cancer.

After reading much about the matter, I realized that the best prevention against disease is a change in our overall life style. One should engage not just in healthy diets but fitness programs and active performances, and avoid stress to its maximum. The “couch potato” may be the worse attitude one would take. Generations will be needed to change our body “composition” and it will take time until we sense that “what I am eating is in fact what I am”.

Changing our genes may be the only process to really change (drastically) our health into a status of avoiding cancer. Healthy living based on the overall “ingredients” may be the key for our “short” period in life.

No one can deny that diet is helping in my survival to PCa during the 12 years. And that some dishes have given me the strengths I looked for after RT and now on HT. But I have noticed that my daily walks of 8 km, gardening, golf, strategy “brain-crackers”, and low stress life style have influenced my positive attitude to confront the problem and feeling healthier.

A book given to me by my wife on Eating for Health in 2000 (after diagnosis) which have helped with fatigue is; Cancer Prevention Cooking, by Beatrice Heywood Taylor (newer edition 2004). The pictorial is so appealing that makes your mouth water.

Best to all.

VG

Yes, diet does not cure all
    Yes, diet does not cure all but I have sure noticed how much “healthier” I am by my lifestyle changes and that is good…and you are right that Genes are the most important factor at the end of the day but we have no control on that…All the best
  • Cpmont
    Cpmont Member Posts: 13
    Forks Over Knives
    It is also available on NetFlix if you have a subscription. .
  • Swingshiftworker
    Swingshiftworker Member Posts: 1,017 Member
    Cpmont said:

Forks Over Knives
    It is also available on NetFlix if you have a subscription. .

Thanks for the tip!
    Just placed it in my Netflix queue. Apparently others did too, because it's listed as a "short wait." Will review it when I see it.
  • Swingshiftworker
    Just Watched Forks Over Knives
    Just watched the movie Forks Over Knives.

It was informative and makes a good case for going with a "whole food plant based diet" (WFPBD) for general health reasons -- to lose weight and feel better, as well as a means to combat/reverse the effects of heart disease, diabetes and cancer. It's obviously a "one sided" presentation, but (like tobacco) it's hard to deny the evidence that TOO MUCH meat, fat and processed foods isn't all that good for you.

So, I'm seriously considering changing to a primarily WFPD, as recommended by the movie, but it will be difficult for me to exclude meat and dairy entirely. I just love my NY cut steaks, lamb chops, fried chicken and ribs too much!!! I think it's a question of moderation. Maybe eat vegan 4-5 days a week and some meat the rest.

On the other hand, there's reason to believe that an exclusively vegan diet is not necessarily good for you either -- Vitamin D and B12 deficiencies being the primary dangers -- and there's also reason to believe that "some" animal fat is actually good for you -- eggs/yogurt are good sources for these.

The other problem for me w/vegan recipes (other than raw salads) is that they seem a lot more complicated and seem to take more time to prepare than meat based meals. Not a reason not to use them. Just another reason why using them requires more dedication.

I got a body fat test done recently (under water body immersion which is the most accurae) and am at 25.8% (about 48 lbs worth) which is about the same as I was 3 years ago when I had the test before. This is not considered "obese" but is considered too fat much for my height and age. Ideal body fat for me is supposedly around 15%. The WFPBD should help reduce the fat.

My cholesterol has always been high and have been on statins to reduce my cholesterol level for years. One of the other benefits of the WFPBD is that it will also supposedly help reduce your cholesterol level too. Just another reason to try it.

I am actually scheduled to get a non-surgical procedure called Zerona done in a couple of weeks on my belly and love handles, where I can't seem to get rid of the fat, even after considerable exercise. Only signed up for it because I got a good deal on it through Groupon.

Zerona supposedly releases the fat from existing fat cells which enables them to be processed by the liver, which results in a temporary reduction in fat placement and a reduction in waist and other body measurements where the fat is deposited. However, it's not a permanent means of fat reduction and, if you don't eat well and don't exercise following the treatment, the fat will come back. Switching to a primarily WFPBD would be helpful to keeping the fat off after I get the procedure done.

So, I'm going to give it a try. It will take some effort to make the change, but I actually have a lot of "healthy" whole grain and plant based foods in my kitchen already. I just need to "think" vegan and learn to reach for the fruit, veggies, beans and whole wheat items before the meat and dairy.

My goal is to lose 4 inches from my waist and lose 10-20 lbs of fat (as opposed to muscle) in 2-3 months which I think is very doable. Can get another body fat test done in 3 months to see how much fat (if any I lose).

We'll see . . .
  • hopeful and optimistic

It was informative and makes a good case for going with a "whole food plant based diet" (WFPBD) for general health reasons -- to lose weight and feel better, as well as a means to combat/reverse the effects of heart disease, diabetes and cancer. It's obviously a "one sided" presentation, but (like tobacco) it's hard to deny the evidence that TOO MUCH meat, fat and processed foods isn't all that good for you.

So, I'm seriously considering changing to a primarily WFPD, as recommended by the movie, but it will be difficult for me to exclude meat and dairy entirely. I just love my NY cut steaks, lamb chops, fried chicken and ribs too much!!! I think it's a question of moderation. Maybe eat vegan 4-5 days a week and some meat the rest.

On the other hand, there's reason to believe that an exclusively vegan diet is not necessarily good for you either -- Vitamin D and B12 deficiencies being the primary dangers -- and there's also reason to believe that "some" animal fat is actually good for you -- eggs/yogurt are good sources for these.

The other problem for me w/vegan recipes (other than raw salads) is that they seem a lot more complicated and seem to take more time to prepare than meat based meals. Not a reason not to use them. Just another reason why using them requires more dedication.

I got a body fat test done recently (under water body immersion which is the most accurae) and am at 25.8% (about 48 lbs worth) which is about the same as I was 3 years ago when I had the test before. This is not considered "obese" but is considered too fat much for my height and age. Ideal body fat for me is supposedly around 15%. The WFPBD should help reduce the fat.

My cholesterol has always been high and have been on statins to reduce my cholesterol level for years. One of the other benefits of the WFPBD is that it will also supposedly help reduce your cholesterol level too. Just another reason to try it.

I am actually scheduled to get a non-surgical procedure called Zerona done in a couple of weeks on my belly and love handles, where I can't seem to get rid of the fat, even after considerable exercise. Only signed up for it because I got a good deal on it through Groupon.

Zerona supposedly releases the fat from existing fat cells which enables them to be processed by the liver, which results in a temporary reduction in fat placement and a reduction in waist and other body measurements where the fat is deposited. However, it's not a permanent means of fat reduction and, if you don't eat well and don't exercise following the treatment, the fat will come back. Switching to a primarily WFPBD would be helpful to keeping the fat off after I get the procedure done.

So, I'm going to give it a try. It will take some effort to make the change, but I actually have a lot of "healthy" whole grain and plant based foods in my kitchen already. I just need to "think" vegan and learn to reach for the fruit, veggies, beans and whole wheat items before the meat and dairy.

My goal is to lose 4 inches from my waist and lose 10-20 lbs of fat (as opposed to muscle) in 2-3 months which I think is very doable. Can get another body fat test done in 3 months to see how much fat (if any I lose).

We'll see . . .

Spectrum
    is a fairly current book written by Dean Ornish, M.D. of "Reversing Heart Disease fame? He advocates a plant based veg diet, low stress and exercise.
    Dr. Ornish is famous for his work with heart disease; more recently he has been studying how life style affect PCa, and had done a small study among those with PCa and found that PSA dropped slightly with the veggie, low stress and exercise way of living after a year.

In his book Spectrum, he states that there is a place in the range of life style that one can choose. Everybody does not have to be a vegan. He does however recommend that those with chronic diseases would be best served if they were vegan, exercised and cut stress out of their lives
  • hopeful and optimistic
    Beau2 said:

Thanks

...so I heard in a lecture by Dr. Myers.

Here is an article that I came across

http://www.livestrong.com/article/237212-what-are-the-benefits-of-taking-the-vitamin-resveratrol/
  • VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,638 Member

...so I heard in a lecture by Dr. Myers.

Here is an article that I came across

http://www.livestrong.com/article/237212-what-are-the-benefits-of-taking-the-vitamin-resveratrol/

Dirty but tasty
    Ira
    I like the article you posted and I enjoy “drink” the Resveratrol. In my teenage times on summer holidays, I used to help with farm work and did grape pinking and then the crushing of the grapes with my own feet. I would be covered in the juicy reddish resveratrol all over my legs.

There are many “theories” regarding the benefits of supplements and PCa. I believe in genetics.
    Just listen to this not so far theory of genetics and probabilities in the aging process;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsHuGQieyjY&feature=fvwrel

Best
    VG
  • Swingshiftworker

We'll see . . .

Update
    I've lost a little over 9 lbs and an inch off my waist in the past 4 weeks, which I attribute primarily to cutting out sodas and beer (which I use to drink daily), eating less meat and much more fruit/veggies and exercising at the gym 3-5x's per week, where I'm doing 1 hr cardio (mainly to the elliptical and treadmill machines) per day plus an hour of strength training every other day or so.

Don't know and can't prove if the Zerona (fat "melting" treatment) was responsible for any of the weight loss because they encourage you to change your diet and exercise in combination w/the treatment. Only way to know is NOT to do those things following treatment. Based on the info on the Net, there are a lot of people who say that it didn't work for them even though the also dieted and exercised. Wouldn't be the 1st time that I threw money away.

I've plateaued the past few days (no further weight loss) and am currently stuck at 180. This is common but if I keep up the good eating the weight and waistline should continue to drop.
  • hopeful and optimistic

Update
    I've lost a little over 9 lbs and an inch off my waist in the past 4 weeks, which I attribute primarily to cutting out sodas and beer (which I use to drink daily), eating less meat and much more fruit/veggies and exercising at the gym 3-5x's per week, where I'm doing 1 hr cardio (mainly to the elliptical and treadmill machines) per day plus an hour of strength training every other day or so.

Don't know and can't prove if the Zerona (fat "melting" treatment) was responsible for any of the weight loss because they encourage you to change your diet and exercise in combination w/the treatment. Only way to know is NOT to do those things following treatment. Based on the info on the Net, there are a lot of people who say that it didn't work for them even though the also dieted and exercised. Wouldn't be the 1st time that I threw money away.

I've plateaued the past few days (no further weight loss) and am currently stuck at 180. This is common but if I keep up the good eating the weight and waistline should continue to drop.

very good life style changes
    ...I expect thst the next time that you have blood work done, you will see positive change.
  • jbw901
    jbw901 Member Posts: 23
    Plant Based Diet is Compelling
    Have been transitioning to a plant-based diet since my diagnosis last July. At my annual physical in December, my overal cholestrol number had dropped from 200 the previous Dec to 180.

My wife attended a seminar in Austin two weeks ago given by the ForksOverKnives advocates.

She brought home the DVD, and I found the info in it very compelling. I am changing to a diet witk even more of an emphasis on plant-based nutrition not only as a PCa deterent since my RP in January but also for my overall health.
  • jbw901
    jbw901 Member Posts: 23
    Plant Based Diet is Compelling
    Have been transitioning to a plant-based diet since my diagnosis last July. At my annual physical in December, my overal cholestrol number had dropped from 200 the previous Dec to 180.

My wife attended a seminar in Austin two weeks ago given by the ForksOverKnives advocates.

She brought home the DVD, and I found the info in it very compelling. I am changing to a diet witk even more of an emphasis on plant-based nutrition not only as a PCa deterent since my RP in January but also for my overall health.