The future of hormone therapy, plus other topics by Dr. Myers

Options

Comments

• Swingshiftworker
    Swingshiftworker Member Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Another Topic of Interest
    Thankfully, I don't have the problem (yet), so I didn't find Dr. Myers' April 11th discussion of the "Future of Hormonal Therapy" all that interesting. However, I'm sure that others will find it of greater value.

On the other hand, I found his March 7th discussion of "Surgery vs Radiation for PCa" very enlightening. Particularly his mention of the Pivot Study which found no particular benefit in RP over active surveillance for low grade PCa.

See: http://biotechstrategyblog.com/2011/05/aua-2011-results-from-pivot-study-show-no-benefit-from-radical-prostatectomy-in-low-risk-early-stage-prostate-patients.html/).

He also noted that there is no scientific basis for touting surgery as the "gold standard" for the treatment of PCa (as has been done in various books, publications and other media that I've read and heard) stating that it's basically a "toss up" between the two in terms of treatment efficacy for low grade PCa w/o taking "sides" as to which treatment is better or worse in terms of the risks associated w/the treatments.

You all know how I feel about THAT already. LOL!

And, lastly, he noted that for higher grade PCa indications are that survival rates are actually worse for surgery than for radiation alone. In response to which he queried, and I'm paraphrasing, "Why then opt for surgery for late stage PCa at all."

Just more grist for the mill in the active surveillance and/or radiation vs. surgery discussion that continues to confuse and befuddle new PCa patients seeking to make a treatment choice.