Is there a list of "Safe" products you can use during rad treatment?

Oma_T
Oma_T Member Posts: 4
I was given 2 samples of lotion, but I have questions. Can I use other lotions on the rest of my body during radiation treatments? Can I still wear perfume? Is vitamin E oil allowed to be used? So many questions. I have my dry run appointment today. Is there anyone who has collected a list of safe products?

Comments

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    I didnt' change anything...i
    I didnt' change anything...i used the many sample bottles of lotion to apply and reapply.. ONLY THING my sister (health food person) got me some special deodorant with no chemicals...(i used it for some time but dint' really work well)

Denise

Dry run...It almost 4 yrs since I did mine..at my treatment center (which I am going back Fri for follow up) they had me lay in like bean bag type thing and sucked all the air out to make sure I laid in same position each time. (I assume most centers do the same)

I still have my ONLY tattos (MY dots)!
  • Oma_T
    Oma_T Member Posts: 4

I didnt' change anything...i
    I didnt' change anything...i used the many sample bottles of lotion to apply and reapply.. ONLY THING my sister (health food person) got me some special deodorant with no chemicals...(i used it for some time but dint' really work well)

Denise

Dry run...It almost 4 yrs since I did mine..at my treatment center (which I am going back Fri for follow up) they had me lay in like bean bag type thing and sucked all the air out to make sure I laid in same position each time. (I assume most centers do the same)

I still have my ONLY tattos (MY dots)!

Still the same.
    Yes, I had the "mapping" done last week, so I have my ONLY tats also. Same pillow thing. Today is a practice I guess. Did you have any burning/scarring?
  • Texasgirl10
    Texasgirl10 Member Posts: 668
    Oma_T said:

Still the same.
    Yes, I had the "mapping" done last week, so I have my ONLY tats also. Same pillow thing. Today is a practice I guess. Did you have any burning/scarring?

Aveeno
    I used aveeno sensitive skin and it worked great. I altenated between the aveeno and aquaphor. I also used aveeno body wash. A lot of our sisters had suggested that I get a package of men's white tshirts a size too big to wear, I'm glad I did b/c all of the lotion will ruin your shirts. Plus the tshirts are soft and you will discover a new appreciation for the softness ;)

Please continue to drink tons of water and get plenty of rest. Radiation for me was easier than chemo and I will pray that you have an easy go of it. Keep us posted.

Hugs and God Bless,

Dawne
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member

Aveeno
    I used aveeno sensitive skin and it worked great. I altenated between the aveeno and aquaphor. I also used aveeno body wash. A lot of our sisters had suggested that I get a package of men's white tshirts a size too big to wear, I'm glad I did b/c all of the lotion will ruin your shirts. Plus the tshirts are soft and you will discover a new appreciation for the softness ;)

Please continue to drink tons of water and get plenty of rest. Radiation for me was easier than chemo and I will pray that you have an easy go of it. Keep us posted.

Hugs and God Bless,

Dawne

Ask...
    Ask your radiation oncologist......they gave me a tube of Radia Plex.....I used it faithfully 4 times a day...I carried it in my purse and applied it immediately after each treatment before I put my top back on.....never put anything on within 4 hours of treatment! I never burned...

I wish you well
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    MAJW said:

Ask...
    Ask your radiation oncologist......they gave me a tube of Radia Plex.....I used it faithfully 4 times a day...I carried it in my purse and applied it immediately after each treatment before I put my top back on.....never put anything on within 4 hours of treatment! I never burned...

I wish you well

Only use what your own rads
    Only use what your own rads oncologist says to use. You can ask him if what you read on hear from others is ok to use, but, he needs to approve everything.

I used Aquaphor, lots and lots of it, and, Biafine. Only aluminum free deodorant if you need deodorant and be very gentle with your skin from day one. I used Dove white soap.

There's a post on here about info on rad treatments. I will bump it up for you.

Good luck!
  • DebbyB
    DebbyB Member Posts: 86
    Kylez said:

Only use what your own rads
    Only use what your own rads oncologist says to use. You can ask him if what you read on hear from others is ok to use, but, he needs to approve everything.

I used Aquaphor, lots and lots of it, and, Biafine. Only aluminum free deodorant if you need deodorant and be very gentle with your skin from day one. I used Dove white soap.

There's a post on here about info on rad treatments. I will bump it up for you.

Good luck!

I did the same as everyone before.
    Lots of Aquaphor and water. I used aluminum free deodorant (Toms) and a gentle Dove bath liquid bath soap. I finished rads at Thanksgiving and my skin being a bit darker is the only visible sign of the rads now. I bought some sports bras that were a bit large to wear. I didn't get burns until closer to the end and they were fairly healed by two weeks after my last treatment.
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Former Rad Girl
    It's been close to two years since I finished with rads. I used the product given me, I think it was Aquaphor, and Trader Joe's Natural/Organic aloe vera gel. Aloe vera is not meant to be used on broken skin. It stings if used on open skin. Just so that you know, I didn't burn. I am brown skinned and was left with a copper tone tan that faded some over time. The skin underneath the breast( the fold)peeled, but there was no pain. Before you start buying stuff, talk to your doctor about it.

I wish you well as you begin with rads.
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    products during rads
    I used nothing in the rads area except the cream that the rads center nurse gave me--some kind of cream I had never seen/heard of before. I did not use deodorant on that side, either. No powders, and only hypo-allergenic soap. (I have lots of skin allergies, so I have always used special soap.) I used my regular creams/perfume, etc., but just not even close to the area being radiated. Hope this helps--rads will be over before you know it!
    Good luck!