First Chemo

Aahmie
Aahmie Member Posts: 23
Hi~
I'm starting chemo next Friday. The doctor said he is going to hit it hard with the hope of some fast shrinkage. He said he wants to "knock the sh*t out of it". I was worried that the side effects might be worse but he said it won't be any different with three drugs than with two.
How soon should I expect my hair to fall out? How have you handled it? Wigs? scarves? hats? If you wear/wore a wig, would you suggest waiting until it starts to come out or going soon to get one?
Thank you all for your encouragement! I'm so happy to have found this place!
Keep fighting everyone!! We've totally got this...
Happy Easter!
Love,
Jennifer

Comments

• Texasgirl10
    Texasgirl10 Member Posts: 668
    Hi
    Hi Jennifer, I'm sorry that you have had to join the pink sisterhood but I'm glad you found this amazing site. You will find that here you are never alone and your pink sisters and brothers will hold you up and fight this battle with you.

I also have chemo on Fridays now, so I will be thinking about you. Usually the hair starts coming out in about 14 days. Some people prefer to shave their heads when they start " shedding". Johnsons baby shampoo is very good to use while going through chemo, I also used conditioner. I prefer hats and scarves although i do have several wigs that are beautifiul they just didnt feel right. I may bust them out when I start loosing my hair this time. If you get the rusted metal taste or bad taste use plastic silverware. For mouthsores my dr prescribed lidocaine swish. Most of us use biotine toothpaste and mouthwash with an extra soft toothbrush. I also ate a lot of potatoes, pasta, and rice b/c it was soft and I could tolerate it. The only thing I could drink was super ice cold bottled water. which was very hard b /c I'm a Dr Pepper junkie :) please start drinking tons of water especially 2 days before treatment and for at least 2 days after to flush all the toxins out. Rest when you feel like it and let others help. That's a big thing for me b/c I refuse to ask for help... I think I'm in denial about this recurrence. You didn't say if you will get the neulasta shot, but if you do ask your dr about taking Claritin. It helps with the joint, muscle, and bone pain that comes along with the shot.

For your treatments be sure to wear something comfortable. Pack a bag with a blanket even though they will offer you one I always prefer mine. Some people take a book, I just play on my phone. Take bottled water and some snacks. Just take anything that will give you comfort. Do you have a port? If so you can put ice on the site for 10 minutes prior to the stick so it hurts less.

Good luck with your treatments. Stay strong and remember that you can do this.

Hugs and God Bless,

Dawne
  • Aahmie
    Aahmie Member Posts: 23

Hi
    Hi Jennifer, I'm sorry that you have had to join the pink sisterhood but I'm glad you found this amazing site. You will find that here you are never alone and your pink sisters and brothers will hold you up and fight this battle with you.

I also have chemo on Fridays now, so I will be thinking about you. Usually the hair starts coming out in about 14 days. Some people prefer to shave their heads when they start " shedding". Johnsons baby shampoo is very good to use while going through chemo, I also used conditioner. I prefer hats and scarves although i do have several wigs that are beautifiul they just didnt feel right. I may bust them out when I start loosing my hair this time. If you get the rusted metal taste or bad taste use plastic silverware. For mouthsores my dr prescribed lidocaine swish. Most of us use biotine toothpaste and mouthwash with an extra soft toothbrush. I also ate a lot of potatoes, pasta, and rice b/c it was soft and I could tolerate it. The only thing I could drink was super ice cold bottled water. which was very hard b /c I'm a Dr Pepper junkie :) please start drinking tons of water especially 2 days before treatment and for at least 2 days after to flush all the toxins out. Rest when you feel like it and let others help. That's a big thing for me b/c I refuse to ask for help... I think I'm in denial about this recurrence. You didn't say if you will get the neulasta shot, but if you do ask your dr about taking Claritin. It helps with the joint, muscle, and bone pain that comes along with the shot.

For your treatments be sure to wear something comfortable. Pack a bag with a blanket even though they will offer you one I always prefer mine. Some people take a book, I just play on my phone. Take bottled water and some snacks. Just take anything that will give you comfort. Do you have a port? If so you can put ice on the site for 10 minutes prior to the stick so it hurts less.

Good luck with your treatments. Stay strong and remember that you can do this.

Hugs and God Bless,

Dawne

Thank you so much!
    I'll be thinking of you this Friday also!! I'll be having chemo on Thursdays after this first time so I'll have more of the weekend to rest, relax or whatever.
    Thank you for all of the great tips! I have my chemo ed Thursday but all of your ideas will be a great help. I'll especially remember about the water!
    I am also difficult when it comes to asking for help! That will be a hard one for me too!
    Is the neulasta shot the one that comes within 72 hours? If so, I will be getting that.
    I do have a port so thanks for that tip also!!
    Thank you again!
    Jennifer

P.S. I can do it!! :)
  • SlowRollin
    SlowRollin Member Posts: 75
    First chemo
    Howdy Ms. Jennifer,

Sorry you had to join our growing family this way. The side effects depend on which chemo you're taking. Taxol had much different effects than the F/A/C did on my wife. We did 12 rounds of Taxol; lost clumps of hair 14 days after the first treatment. Cut if off and it kept falling out in small patches. Completely gone two months later.

The chemo builds up; side effects lasted longer as the treatments went on. Body and joint pain with the Taxol. Severe nausea with the F/A/C. Took about three days for the Taxol effects to wear off. About 5 to 7 for the F/A/C. Constipation with both...finger and toe nails look yellowish, lost a couple.

My wife got a hair band, (hair below the band, nothing on top) and wore it with her hats. She tried to wear a wig but never liked the way it felt. She wears scarfs also, but mostly one particular knitted hat that she's liked from the beginning. Trying on wigs is hard while you still have your hair. If you look at my profile, you'll see a link to a blog I wrote for my wife that tracks all of her appointments. You can see her progression and her hair and hats.

Follow the instructions on the anxiety or nausea medicines to the letter. Take your pain meds if you need them; don't suffer needlessly. And try to get plenty of rest and eat whenever you can. We just finished our last chemo treatment Thursday night, my beautiful wife is currently bedridden. But we're done and she couldn't be happier - to be done that is. We've made it through this from all the info and support these amazing folks so selflessly offer. I hope this info helps and I'm glad you found this site.

Best of luck!

Tony
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544

First chemo
    Howdy Ms. Jennifer,

Sorry you had to join our growing family this way. The side effects depend on which chemo you're taking. Taxol had much different effects than the F/A/C did on my wife. We did 12 rounds of Taxol; lost clumps of hair 14 days after the first treatment. Cut if off and it kept falling out in small patches. Completely gone two months later.

The chemo builds up; side effects lasted longer as the treatments went on. Body and joint pain with the Taxol. Severe nausea with the F/A/C. Took about three days for the Taxol effects to wear off. About 5 to 7 for the F/A/C. Constipation with both...finger and toe nails look yellowish, lost a couple.

My wife got a hair band, (hair below the band, nothing on top) and wore it with her hats. She tried to wear a wig but never liked the way it felt. She wears scarfs also, but mostly one particular knitted hat that she's liked from the beginning. Trying on wigs is hard while you still have your hair. If you look at my profile, you'll see a link to a blog I wrote for my wife that tracks all of her appointments. You can see her progression and her hair and hats.

Follow the instructions on the anxiety or nausea medicines to the letter. Take your pain meds if you need them; don't suffer needlessly. And try to get plenty of rest and eat whenever you can. We just finished our last chemo treatment Thursday night, my beautiful wife is currently bedridden. But we're done and she couldn't be happier - to be done that is. We've made it through this from all the info and support these amazing folks so selflessly offer. I hope this info helps and I'm glad you found this site.

Best of luck!

Tony

starting chemo
    Welcome-Jennifer--the posters above have offered many excellent suggestions. I want to wish you the best in your treatment. Stop by and visit us anytime! (((Hugs))) and prayers sent your way!
  • AngieD
    AngieD Member Posts: 493
    Tux said:

starting chemo
    Welcome-Jennifer--the posters above have offered many excellent suggestions. I want to wish you the best in your treatment. Stop by and visit us anytime! (((Hugs))) and prayers sent your way!

Good luck with your first
    Good luck with your first venture into the world of chemo this week! The chemo classes have wonderful information. As to wigs, I waited until my hair was mostly gone (had it buzzed after it started coming out) to get a wig. I had thick hair and thought I would get a better wig fit without my real hair there. They say to save some of your hair if you want to color match it. I like the way my wig looks, but I can't stand to wear it all the time--hot and gets uncomfortable after awhile. So, I wear hats also. I did just get a "Cool Comfort Wig/Cap Liner" from
    www.tlc direct.org
    and it does help.

There are actually some "perks" to go along with BC, so be aware of them. My cancer center has free hats for anyone who wants them. The American Cancer Society works with a local beauty salon and provides wigs (used, but cleaned) to anyone who wants one. There is a periodic program called "Look Good, Feel Better" (ask at your treatment center) where you get free makeup and tips. And, best of all, there is Cleaning for a Reason. www.cleaningforareason.org
    Instructions and applying on line. I got accepted for that and Merry Maids provides the service to me as their community service. For 4 months, 2 ladies come for 2 hours monthly and do whatever I ask that can be done in that time Awesome! They've been twice and really get a lot done.

Keep us posted on how you're doing!

Angie
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    AngieD said:

Good luck with your first venture into the world of chemo this week! The chemo classes have wonderful information. As to wigs, I waited until my hair was mostly gone (had it buzzed after it started coming out) to get a wig. I had thick hair and thought I would get a better wig fit without my real hair there. They say to save some of your hair if you want to color match it. I like the way my wig looks, but I can't stand to wear it all the time--hot and gets uncomfortable after awhile. So, I wear hats also. I did just get a "Cool Comfort Wig/Cap Liner" from
    www.tlc direct.org
    and it does help.

There are actually some "perks" to go along with BC, so be aware of them. My cancer center has free hats for anyone who wants them. The American Cancer Society works with a local beauty salon and provides wigs (used, but cleaned) to anyone who wants one. There is a periodic program called "Look Good, Feel Better" (ask at your treatment center) where you get free makeup and tips. And, best of all, there is Cleaning for a Reason. www.cleaningforareason.org
    Instructions and applying on line. I got accepted for that and Merry Maids provides the service to me as their community service. For 4 months, 2 ladies come for 2 hours monthly and do whatever I ask that can be done in that time Awesome! They've been twice and really get a lot done.

Angie

Jennifer .. Gentle hugs as well as a few suggestions
    for you ..

First of all, it is okay to be anxious of the unknown -- Please don't allow this anxiety to get the best of you. Remember to alert your Onco RN of any unusual feelings during your chemo infusion ..

Try to obtain a list of possible side efforts, which should be presented to you before your first chemo infusion .. if you know the names of your chemo drugs -- you can
    go on line @ chemocare.com -- and research possible side efforts. Again -- the operative
    phase here is ... Possible side efforts.

It is so important to remain and continue hydration, water - water, and more water. Splash in a little lemonade, cranberry juice -- or prepackaged crystal light, or Lipton Tea. Herbal Tea's also work for a change of pace.

If you are getting the neulasta shot -- Please ask your Oncologist about taking a benadryl -- or claritin -- which many of us === swear by -- as they help alleviate that 'just run over by a truck' aches and pains - some of us experience from the neulasta shot.

Ask for prescriptions for nausea and vomiting -- as well as diarrhea.

Plastic silverware is a must ---
    biotin toothpaste and mouthwash is a daily essential
    (available at most Target's or Wall-Mart's)

Food is subjective -- depending on your personal needs and taste buds .. What taste good or was tolerable 1 week -- changed for me, the very next. I could not tolerate any foods with sugar, i.e. ketchup, or cola's.

To help prevent mouth sores -- suck on ice chips during all chemo treatments.

Rest when you can, as some chemo queens have bouts of insomnia ---

Take goodies to entertain yourself during your infusions -- games, books, friend, a snack, IPOD, laptop ...

Strength, Courage and Hope.

Vicki Sam
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Jennifer:
    I dont' have any

Jennifer:

I dont' have any advice since I DID NOT do chemo...just wanted to say thinking of you..

I am sure you'll get great advice here

Denise
  • VickiSam

Jennifer:
    I dont' have any

Jennifer:

I dont' have any advice since I DID NOT do chemo...just wanted to say thinking of you..

Denise

Jennifer ... How are you doing ????
    We are here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week! Please let us know if you have any
    other questions, or concerns.

Vicki Sam
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    VickiSam said:

Jennifer .. Gentle hugs as well as a few suggestions
    for you ..

First of all, it is okay to be anxious of the unknown -- Please don't allow this anxiety to get the best of you. Remember to alert your Onco RN of any unusual feelings during your chemo infusion ..

Try to obtain a list of possible side efforts, which should be presented to you before your first chemo infusion .. if you know the names of your chemo drugs -- you can
    go on line @ chemocare.com -- and research possible side efforts. Again -- the operative
    phase here is ... Possible side efforts.

It is so important to remain and continue hydration, water - water, and more water. Splash in a little lemonade, cranberry juice -- or prepackaged crystal light, or Lipton Tea. Herbal Tea's also work for a change of pace.

If you are getting the neulasta shot -- Please ask your Oncologist about taking a benadryl -- or claritin -- which many of us === swear by -- as they help alleviate that 'just run over by a truck' aches and pains - some of us experience from the neulasta shot.

Ask for prescriptions for nausea and vomiting -- as well as diarrhea.

Plastic silverware is a must ---
    biotin toothpaste and mouthwash is a daily essential
    (available at most Target's or Wall-Mart's)

Food is subjective -- depending on your personal needs and taste buds .. What taste good or was tolerable 1 week -- changed for me, the very next. I could not tolerate any foods with sugar, i.e. ketchup, or cola's.

To help prevent mouth sores -- suck on ice chips during all chemo treatments.

Rest when you can, as some chemo queens have bouts of insomnia ---

Take goodies to entertain yourself during your infusions -- games, books, friend, a snack, IPOD, laptop ...

Strength, Courage and Hope.

Vicki Sam

Hoping your first chemo went
    Hoping your first chemo went well for you and that you are feeling good. Keep us updated.

Hugs, Debby
  • VickiSam

Jennifer:
    I dont' have any

Jennifer:

Denise

Jennifer ... We are thinking, and praying that
    all is well. Post when you can.

Vicki Sam
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    VickiSam said:

Jennifer ... We are thinking, and praying that
    all is well. Post when you can.

Vicki Sam

Thinking and praying for you
    Thinking and praying for you too Jennifer.

Sue :)
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Ritzy said:

Thinking and praying for you
    Thinking and praying for you too Jennifer.

Sue :)

How are you doing with your
    How are you doing with your treatments now Jennifer?

Hugs, Kylez
  • janzer
    janzer Member Posts: 3
    AngieD said:

www.tlc direct.org
    and it does help.

Angie

chemo
    Have you taken time off work while going thru chemo.