Confused...

eihtak
eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
Hi, About a year ago I finished treatment for Stage3 Anal Cancer. (chemo/rad) It was a hard time for me and I ended up in a nursing home for 2 months. In Feb. I was NED but also diagnosed with a rare breast cancer. Its called Secretory Carcinoma. This cancer accounts for less than 1percent of all breast cancers, so many doctors have never seen it. Treatment was a mastectomy, and I chose to have the other breast also. My mother had ovarion cancer, and an aunt on dads side breast cancer many years ago, so am meeting to discuss genetic testing....I have 4 daughters so need to know. Any how, because the tumor was considered low grade and slow growing would not respond well to chemo. The margins are clear and biopsy of 2 lymph nodes came back neg. also. I am sore, but doing well and ready to get my life back after the 2 cancers. The anal cancer left me with a colostomy bag and lots of issues related to pelvic radiation....can not even easily have a pap test now!! I keep jumping back and forth but what I'm getting at is that I like many have been through a tough time and back, and now my oncology doc wants me to take Arimidex. My surgeon feels that it may not really be necessary given that the cancer was so rare and he feels with clear margins and nodes I'm probably good without it. But....I just don't know, we never do I guess. He feels the chance of unpleasant side effects may not out weigh the need. He is the surgeon tho, and I can't say enough good things about him, but hes not the oncologist. How long after starting before I may experience side effects if even at all???? Maybe I could just try it and know that if I have to stop it may be ok too. Oh well, thanks for listening....like I said, I'm feeling confused and just wish I could go back in time I guess. As always, all in my prayers.

Comments

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Don't know what to say
    Don't know what to say really but if I understand, your chemo Dr (medical onconlogist) wants you on an AI but surgeon doesn't? I'd go with the chemo Dr as that's his expertise/what he does. A surgeon cuts. My surgeon did tell me that I'd have to have chemo before he would consider doing surgery but did not say what. Certainly they do have some knowledge of related issues but there is no way I would want an orthopedist doing eye surgery on me.
  • eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    Rague said:

Don't know what to say
    Don't know what to say really but if I understand, your chemo Dr (medical onconlogist) wants you on an AI but surgeon doesn't? I'd go with the chemo Dr as that's his expertise/what he does. A surgeon cuts. My surgeon did tell me that I'd have to have chemo before he would consider doing surgery but did not say what. Certainly they do have some knowledge of related issues but there is no way I would want an orthopedist doing eye surgery on me.

Thanks
    That was kind of my thinking too. It is estrogen positive so would be beneficial, the surgeon is just questioning if the need is really there at all. I think I will go with my oncologist and try it hoping I do not have too many side effects. I can not meet to do the genetic testing for a couple months so maybe will change things later. Thanks so much for your replys, and its true I am not sleeping well which I know in itself is not healthy. I'm just need to trust the saying that "if God brought you to it, he will bring you through it". Prayers to all.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Sorry for your situatioN
    I look at the time of your posting and very sorry that you are having sleepless nights

Please wait for outcome of genetic testing. You should do it and not only for your daughters, for yourself as well. Outcome of the testing will impact your treatment plan. Arimidex is prescribed for estrogen receptors positive cancer, you need to check out your pathology report. If you are not estrogen positive, Arimidex is not helpful medical oncologist, not sergioun to decide on cancer treatment. A second opinion is always beneficial, please see it when you have genetic testing and pathology results in your hands.
    Whisking you the best
    New Flower