HIPEC Probable

GoBucks
GoBucks Member Posts: 28
Well it look like HIPEC for me is highly likely. I'm happy. I have asked to delay until early August because I have some events with my kids 18 and 22 over the summer that I won't miss because of cancer. I have to be off Avastin for 6-8 months anyway. The MRI indicated two places besides the lymph node - capsule of liver and possibly something in the pelvis. He is consulting with my oncologist, his tumor board, and the radiologist who read the MRI but he was very positive. I personally believe this is high risk high reward and cutting out cancer whenever possible is the best option for me. He believed he could get at all three places. If the cancer grows alot in three months then maybe this wasn't for me anyway. Buckeye2 if you see this give me a call. Others just looking for positive thoughts. I'm really the one pushing for this and it feels good to be in control of my treatment. Folks that have had HIPEC give me any insight on how to make this go as well as possible.

Thanks All

Comments

• smokeyjoe
    smokeyjoe Member Posts: 1,425 Member
    Sounds like you have a good
    Sounds like you have a good plan in place, and that this treatment is an option for you. Keep us posted :)
  • GoBucks
    Really having trouble typing today.
  • jmaddox915
    jmaddox915 Member Posts: 80 Member
    I had HIPEC on Jan 9th of
    I had HIPEC on Jan 9th of this year. It is a very tough surgery and still have not recovered completely.

Unfortuantely for me, my cancer is back and I will start chemo again on April 17th.

There is a part of me that wishes I had never done it however I would have always wondered if I had done all I could to beat this.

If you have any questions, you can inbox me. I will be happy to help however I can.
  • wdwlvr
    wdwlvr Member Posts: 5

I had HIPEC on Jan 9th of
    I had HIPEC on Jan 9th of this year. It is a very tough surgery and still have not recovered completely.

Unfortuantely for me, my cancer is back and I will start chemo again on April 17th.

There is a part of me that wishes I had never done it however I would have always wondered if I had done all I could to beat this.

If you have any questions, you can inbox me. I will be happy to help however I can.

I'm sorry to hear the cancer
    I'm sorry to hear the cancer is back jmaddox. Where did it come back if you don't mind me asking? I had HIPEC last December, and no systemic chemo for now. I had a CT that was good but had mystery spot anterior to the liver. Doc wants me back in 3 months to see if any changes. But hopefully it's scar tissue.
    I hope you are doing ok and the chemo gets it. I've heard of someone having HIPEC 3 times and cancer free after 3 times!
  • jmaddox915
    wdwlvr said:

I'm sorry to hear the cancer
    I'm sorry to hear the cancer is back jmaddox. Where did it come back if you don't mind me asking? I had HIPEC last December, and no systemic chemo for now. I had a CT that was good but had mystery spot anterior to the liver. Doc wants me back in 3 months to see if any changes. But hopefully it's scar tissue.
    I hope you are doing ok and the chemo gets it. I've heard of someone having HIPEC 3 times and cancer free after 3 times!

It came back in my abdomen
    It came back in my abdomen where they had removed a tumor during HIPEC. Also a new tumor developed on my left kidney and I have to go in next week for a stint that will result in me wearing a bag for a while.

I can't imagine going through HIPEC 3 times. I had this in January and I still struggle with my energy, etc.

It does sound like you are doing well and I am happy to hear that. Where did you get your HIPEC done?
  • GoBucks
    Doesn't Anyone Have Any Positive Stories
    Doesn't anyone have any positive stories or advice, I'm really struggling that the only response I got is not positive.
  • jmaddox915
    GoBucks said:

Doesn't Anyone Have Any Positive Stories
    Doesn't anyone have any positive stories or advice, I'm really struggling that the only response I got is not positive.

GoBucks...deciding to do
    GoBucks...deciding to do HIPEC is a very personal decision. You have to remember everyone is different and I am sure there are some positive stories. As a matter of fact, CBS news ran a story on "hot chem" or HIPEC right before I had my surgery and the two people they interviewed was very positive. I think if you go to Youtube and look up Hot Chemo CBS News, you can see the report.

I don't regret doing it. If I had not done it, it would have always haunted me if I had done all I could. I don't want to leave anything on the table. Who knows, I may end up doing it again if my doctors feel it is a viable option for me.

I believe in prayer and in my case, I felt like God led me to this path. If you are a believer, pray about it, ask for wisdom and guidance. He won't let you down.
  • GoBucks

GoBucks...deciding to do
    GoBucks...deciding to do HIPEC is a very personal decision. You have to remember everyone is different and I am sure there are some positive stories. As a matter of fact, CBS news ran a story on "hot chem" or HIPEC right before I had my surgery and the two people they interviewed was very positive. I think if you go to Youtube and look up Hot Chemo CBS News, you can see the report.

I don't regret doing it. If I had not done it, it would have always haunted me if I had done all I could. I don't want to leave anything on the table. Who knows, I may end up doing it again if my doctors feel it is a viable option for me.

I believe in prayer and in my case, I felt like God led me to this path. If you are a believer, pray about it, ask for wisdom and guidance. He won't let you down.

Thanks
    I think you and I may be in the same boat. I do feel like God has led me to this path. I think it is my best chance. Thanks
  • wdwlvr
    wdwlvr Member Posts: 5

It came back in my abdomen
    It came back in my abdomen where they had removed a tumor during HIPEC. Also a new tumor developed on my left kidney and I have to go in next week for a stint that will result in me wearing a bag for a while.

I can't imagine going through HIPEC 3 times. I had this in January and I still struggle with my energy, etc.

It does sound like you are doing well and I am happy to hear that. Where did you get your HIPEC done?

Thanks-I got mine done at
    Thanks-I got mine done at Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale Arizona with Dr. Wasif. I liked him a lot-saw me every day including Christmas. I hope things get better for you. I can't imagine 3 HIPEC surgeries either...not even sure my surgeon would do that.
  • LivinginNH
    LivinginNH Member Posts: 1,456 Member
    Hi, My Rick had HIPEC
    Hi,

My Rick had HIPEC surgery in December 2010, although the cancer came back in April 2011. He was supposed to have another HIPEC surgery last Monday, but the cancer took off during the three month break and spread more around the peritoneal cavity, pelvis and liver, so the surgery was cancelled. Even though HIPEC didn't work for him, it doesn't mean that it won't be successful for you, everyone is different. In any case, if you'd like more information on what you may expect after surgery, send me a note and I'll give you a seven day diary of his surgery and subsequent recovery in the hospital and at home.

All my best,

Cynthia