Tamoxifin and Diabetes

AnneKent
AnneKent Member Posts: 6
Hello, I am new to CSN. My reasons for being here are not for myself but for a friend with breast cancer and neighbor with stomach or esophagus cancer. My mother died of Ovarian Cancer in 2006. Very unusual because she had a hysterectomy and ovaries removed per her surgeon some 30 years before. When mom became sick dad thought it was a UTI but the hospital did tests which showed she did in fact have ovaries and they had cancer. Sadly she had taken HRT for decades. She passed away just 3 weeks after diagnosis.

My friend who is in her fourth year of Tamoxifin (sp?) was diagnosed with Diabetes about six months ago. She also suffers from what she calls 'Chemo Fog' and is not doing well with her eating plan. It seems too complicated for her or maybe she is in denial. She also is on two cholesterol meds as her level was 511!! And she's on thyroid meds plus the Metamorfin for diabetes. I visited her a couple days ago, she brought out her most recent lab results and her A1C is still at 9 down from 11 (should be 6) Her average glucose for the last three months was 234. Should be 120 or lower. She admitted eating a candy bar before I got there and every time I speak to her she is hungry. She has had two visits with a dietician. I know she has to treat the diabetes now especially with numbers that high but I wonder if Tamoxifin causes diabetes? Perhaps diabetes isn't a permanent situation once she stops?

She wanted to quit her diabetes med because it wasn't working and she complained she was taking too many pills. This chemo fog seems to have injured her ability to reason well. I convinced her to make no changes until she spoke with her doctor. Hopefully she will do that soon. She is 53 and also having hot flashes which I have read on this board can be caused by Tamoxifin. I have tried to encourage her with her diabetic diet, even going on it myself with her so we can share tips etc. I am so glad that she is treating her cancer but worried about her ignoring this other serious disease. Praying no damage is being done to kidney's or eyesight but her numbers are way too high.

Thank you in advance for any advice you might have to help me help her.
Anne

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    I havent read that tamoxifen
    I havent read that tamoxifen causes diabetes. while cheom brain is real, it shouldnt impede her ability to follow a diet. Perhaps the diabetes being out of control or a mix of the meds is causing her confusion. perhaps she should have her doc look into it. Tamoxifen causes hot flashes. some people takevit E. some effexor, some neurontin. i just deal with them although they are not debilitating for me. You are being a wonderful friend. others will chime in, as this is an active board
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    carkris said:

I havent read that tamoxifen
    I havent read that tamoxifen causes diabetes. while cheom brain is real, it shouldnt impede her ability to follow a diet. Perhaps the diabetes being out of control or a mix of the meds is causing her confusion. perhaps she should have her doc look into it. Tamoxifen causes hot flashes. some people takevit E. some effexor, some neurontin. i just deal with them although they are not debilitating for me. You are being a wonderful friend. others will chime in, as this is an active board

I don't know of any research
    I don't know of any research or any studies linking diabetes and tamox. I, personally, think that just being diagnosed with bc and then going thru chemo, rads, the tests and everything related to this horrid disease can cause our brains to not function fully like before our diagnosis.

I do wish your friend the best and I pray that her health improve. Wish I could be of more help.

Hugs, Leeza
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    jnl said:

I don't know of any research
    I don't know of any research or any studies linking diabetes and tamox. I, personally, think that just being diagnosed with bc and then going thru chemo, rads, the tests and everything related to this horrid disease can cause our brains to not function fully like before our diagnosis.

I do wish your friend the best and I pray that her health improve. Wish I could be of more help.

Hugs, Leeza

Tamoxifen
    Tamoxifen can cause an increasing appetite. yes, diet should help for sure. Tamoxifen can also impact cholesterol level, that is why she is on cholesterol medications. It takes tremendous discipline and dedication to not gain weight while on Tamoxifen. It is possible and I am glad that she has you, a very caring and concerned friend. Please go with her to her doctors if you can. Both her endocrinologist and oncologist need to talk to figure out how to prolong her life with quality she deserves. Maybe she is depressed, so she eats sugar even she has diabetes.

Sorry about your Mom. I am shocked that such medical mistakes could happen. I am very sorry for your loss.

Please feel free to come back and ask more questions.
  • AnneKent
    AnneKent Member Posts: 6

Tamoxifen
    Tamoxifen can cause an increasing appetite. yes, diet should help for sure. Tamoxifen can also impact cholesterol level, that is why she is on cholesterol medications. It takes tremendous discipline and dedication to not gain weight while on Tamoxifen. It is possible and I am glad that she has you, a very caring and concerned friend. Please go with her to her doctors if you can. Both her endocrinologist and oncologist need to talk to figure out how to prolong her life with quality she deserves. Maybe she is depressed, so she eats sugar even she has diabetes.

Sorry about your Mom. I am shocked that such medical mistakes could happen. I am very sorry for your loss.

Please feel free to come back and ask more questions.

Thanks
    Thanks for the info. Hopefully she will start taking the diabetes seriously. She has never bought a meter....when I asked she said the doctor said she should get one but..... I think this lady has been thru so much (she was infertile and did a couple rounds of some type of hormone treatment to get pregnant which I'm wondering if this is where the breast cancer came from. She just is not wanting to deal with any of this. I will keep gently steering her towards a better diet. In six months she will be 5 years post breast cancer diagnosis and off the Tamoxifin maybe then she will concentrate on diabetes. Hopefully she will get clean report on her breast cancer.

Mom was diabetic too for many years. I watched her lose vision and suffer from neuropathy.
    My brother is 54 and having diabetic crisis with kidney involvement. This is why I care so much for my friends medical safety. I'm thankful for these CSN boards. Thank you for your kindness. =)
    Anne
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    AnneKent said:

Thanks
    Thanks for the info. Hopefully she will start taking the diabetes seriously. She has never bought a meter....when I asked she said the doctor said she should get one but..... I think this lady has been thru so much (she was infertile and did a couple rounds of some type of hormone treatment to get pregnant which I'm wondering if this is where the breast cancer came from. She just is not wanting to deal with any of this. I will keep gently steering her towards a better diet. In six months she will be 5 years post breast cancer diagnosis and off the Tamoxifin maybe then she will concentrate on diabetes. Hopefully she will get clean report on her breast cancer.

Mom was diabetic too for many years. I watched her lose vision and suffer from neuropathy.
    My brother is 54 and having diabetic crisis with kidney involvement. This is why I care so much for my friends medical safety. I'm thankful for these CSN boards. Thank you for your kindness. =)
    Anne

Very sorry
    Very sorry to hear about your mother.This should never happen.I needed a hysteroctomy years ago.I didn't want my ovaries out but remembered that a former neighbor had passed away with cancer.I was sick and didn't to to the funeral.Saw her daughter later and she told me the cancer was in her female organs.I said NO "your mom had a hysterectomy". Yes she did but they didnt take her ovaries.Then my last minute decision to my Doctor was TAKE EVERYTHING!!. A GOOD decision since so many on tamoxifin have female problems.I take tamox but I don't need to worry about that.Just recently I got a paper in the mail saying I don't need pap smears.I always wondered after a total but it said talk to your doctor but the other thing it was from a medical group saying no need for them.Breast exams yes.Told me to get a mammo.Well I do since my dx. I got either a check up from my doctor or mammo since I was 20 and dx with benign breast tumors.Only missed 1 year in 45 years.

For your friend.I've never had diabetes but some blood work has been borderline. I need a blood test.Been a year.I feel good but need to fast and get that done.I take the tamox. Like others I haven't heard it causes diabetes but tamox has so many other side effects. You are a good friend.I have a friend I can depend on to go with me for needle biopsies.Husband works alot.I do the same for her when she has checkups.Hers are mostly for diabetes.

Lynn Smith