Dandruff with hardly any hair?????

AngieD
AngieD Member Posts: 493
edited April 2012 in Breast Cancer #1
I've lost most all of my hair after 8 weeks of A/C and 2 weeks of Taxol. A few days ago I started with peeling flaking skin on my scalp, and I can't decide if it's dryness, dandruff, or a reaction to sweating under a wig. I ordered and just got one of those wig liners that are supposed to keep you head cooler and only wear my wig when I'm out and about. I've tried putting lotion on my head and shampooing with dandruff shampoo. Previously, I was just using Baby Shampoo. Anybody else have this? And, if so, what did you do that worked for you?
Angie

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Perhaps...
    Perhaps it might be best to just have the rest of your hair buzzed off....I've had to do it twice now...bald again! It wouldn't use dandruff shampoo....to harsh...the dry scalp is probably due to the chemo...personally i'd continue with the baby shampoo.....and if you get rid of what's left, when your hair starts growing back it will be pretty much all the same length..as least that was my experience....I lost mine this time due to the 10 radiation treatments to my brain.... I completed that 3 1/2 weeks ago...it was falling out like crazy! The great guy who has done my hair for 22 years came to my house and buzzed it off....So much better than hair falling out all over the place!

So, this is just a thought that you may want to consider....right now my bald head itches, so I just use moisturizer on it...
    Hugs,Nancy
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Angie, while I was bald, I
    Angie, while I was bald, I just used what I use on my face on my head. A mild soap and lotion. I agree with Nancy, the shampoo may be too harsh.

Cindy
  • GMcD
    GMcD Member Posts: 134
    mamolady said:

Angie, while I was bald, I
    Angie, while I was bald, I just used what I use on my face on my head. A mild soap and lotion. I agree with Nancy, the shampoo may be too harsh.

Cindy

Hi Angie, I had a similar
    Hi Angie, I had a similar situation. I used Neutrogena T-Gel Therapeutic shampoo and it help the flakiness and was also soothing when my scalp would feel tingly and itchy. I think it has a touch of menthol in it but is very gentle. Best wishes.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    GMcD said:

Hi Angie, I had a similar
    Hi Angie, I had a similar situation. I used Neutrogena T-Gel Therapeutic shampoo and it help the flakiness and was also soothing when my scalp would feel tingly and itchy. I think it has a touch of menthol in it but is very gentle. Best wishes.

... GMcD is right! My Oncologist and his Onco
    RN made the same suggestion of me using T-Gel Therapeutic shampoo by Neutrogena --
    I used it, and it worked beautifully.

Happy shampooing!

Vicki Sam
  • AngieD
    VickiSam said:

... GMcD is right! My Oncologist and his Onco
    RN made the same suggestion of me using T-Gel Therapeutic shampoo by Neutrogena --
    I used it, and it worked beautifully.

Happy shampooing!

Vicki Sam

Thanks so much everyone! I
    Thanks so much everyone! I keep thinking the rest of the hair will go soon with the Taxol. I like having some that is left right along the hair line on the sides in front as long as possible. My eyebrows are going this round :-( But the chemo is working :-) --according to feel and sonogram!
    Angie
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    AngieD said:

Thanks so much everyone! I
    Thanks so much everyone! I keep thinking the rest of the hair will go soon with the Taxol. I like having some that is left right along the hair line on the sides in front as long as possible. My eyebrows are going this round :-( But the chemo is working :-) --according to feel and sonogram!
    Angie

Angie .. Such good news - that the chemo is working!
    Magic to my ears, which by the way you may have to protect soon by using sunscreen.
    I also used sunscreen on the back of my neck etc. Protect your scalp even if you
    are outside for a few minutes.

I burned my new bald scalp while outside for 15 minutes picking up doggie do - Yes,
    this is a true story. OUCH ...

Strength, Courage and HOPE for a Cure.

Vicki Sam
  • Jobi
    Jobi Member Posts: 211
    Checking in!
    Hi, Angie,

It sounds like things are going okay for you? I think about you often since you and I have similar treatments. How does the taxol make you feel?

I cannot believe that my 3 week break is almost over, but I have enjoyed it and rested a lot.

I hope everything is well with you!

Dorene
  • AngieD
    Jobi said:

Checking in!
    Hi, Angie,

It sounds like things are going okay for you? I think about you often since you and I have similar treatments. How does the taxol make you feel?

I cannot believe that my 3 week break is almost over, but I have enjoyed it and rested a lot.

I hope everything is well with you!

Dorene

Hi, Dorene! I was just
    Hi, Dorene! I was just thinking your break must be just about over. Hope you enjoyed it! I've had 3 weeks of Taxol now and, so far, it has been MUCH kinder to me than A/C. I've felt better than I have in a long time. :-) Hope it continues like this and that you find it this way also! Keep in touch!
    Angie

PS I showed my onco my scalp on Tuesday and she said it was not dandruff. Just dry skin and to use lotion.
  • Jobi
    Jobi Member Posts: 211
    AngieD said:

Hi, Dorene! I was just
    Hi, Dorene! I was just thinking your break must be just about over. Hope you enjoyed it! I've had 3 weeks of Taxol now and, so far, it has been MUCH kinder to me than A/C. I've felt better than I have in a long time. :-) Hope it continues like this and that you find it this way also! Keep in touch!
    Angie

PS I showed my onco my scalp on Tuesday and she said it was not dandruff. Just dry skin and to use lotion.

Hi Angie!
    Thanks for the

Hi Angie!

Thanks for the update! I hope all continues to go well! I am so relieved that you feel better!

Have a great Easter!

Dorene