post op pain and depression

Good evening. Hubby had lap surgery Monday afternoon and came home Tuesday afternoon. Today is the worst day yet. I think all the gas pains are gone but he complains of burning inside at the surgical area and is tearful. He is cold (never cold) but he has no fever. Any suggestions on how I may help him?

Comments

• livealive
    livealive Member Posts: 127
    Post Op
    Hi, I was very cold for weeks after the surgery, weakness and weight loss can be factors, it will pass. If the pain is unbearable, take the pain meds, if it's too bad, please call the surgeon. I also sweated a lot for 2 weeks, specially in the nights, changed every hour. I am sorry I wish I could help more. Warm water might help ?
  • foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    livealive said:

Post Op
    Hi, I was very cold for weeks after the surgery, weakness and weight loss can be factors, it will pass. If the pain is unbearable, take the pain meds, if it's too bad, please call the surgeon. I also sweated a lot for 2 weeks, specially in the nights, changed every hour. I am sorry I wish I could help more. Warm water might help ?

Cindy, recovery sucks. There are about 5-10 different issues during recovery. We each get 4-5 of them. But all in different combinations. There is no short cut to the time it takes to heal. But it will happen. Patience, grasshopper.
  • icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    foxhd said:

Cindy, recovery sucks. There are about 5-10 different issues during recovery. We each get 4-5 of them. But all in different combinations. There is no short cut to the time it takes to heal. But it will happen. Patience, grasshopper.

The Initiation
    Cindy,

Sorry about hubby's initiation to the club. We all went thru it. You will notice that each day gets a little better. If only there was a time machine that could fast forward 6 weeks. How about the Final Four this weekend without nachos and beer.

Icemantoo
  • Neen
    Neen Member Posts: 6
    pain
    I am 4 weeks post op I was very cold in the hospital and know that I am home I have terrible night sweats they are easing a little and the burning inside is all a part of the healing I'm sure. Tell him to stay on top of things with the pain meds I really think you need them for a good week
  • Beingbless
    Beingbless Member Posts: 46
    Neen said:

pain
    I am 4 weeks post op I was very cold in the hospital and know that I am home I have terrible night sweats they are easing a little and the burning inside is all a part of the healing I'm sure. Tell him to stay on top of things with the pain meds I really think you need them for a good week

Cold and chest pain
    Hi Cindy,

This is my 5 th week after my surgery. I remember I was freezing cold even in the recovery room when my eyes were closed, i overheard the nurse was asking for more warm blanket for me. The next morning, I complained about some chest pain, the nurse ran the ECG test, and found everything was normal, however the blood test was showing my potassium level dropoed significantly to 2.6 ( normal person is 3.5 and above). Therefore, they have to put me on the potassium pills for week. I do not know your husband scenario will be the same issue as mine, but thought just to share it here.

Sometime, the cold probably caused by lack of food intact in the body. I was on liquid diet for a few days after the surgery, before I can eat some solid soup with veggies in it. After that, eat small meal every few hours when it's hungry,

But, after this experience, I am now a vegan. There is really no point to eat those unhealthy meat that could possible cause cancer cells to grow in the body. Just a thought. :-)
  • cindygodfrey2
    cindygodfrey2 Member Posts: 70

Cold and chest pain
    Hi Cindy,

This is my 5 th week after my surgery. I remember I was freezing cold even in the recovery room when my eyes were closed, i overheard the nurse was asking for more warm blanket for me. The next morning, I complained about some chest pain, the nurse ran the ECG test, and found everything was normal, however the blood test was showing my potassium level dropoed significantly to 2.6 ( normal person is 3.5 and above). Therefore, they have to put me on the potassium pills for week. I do not know your husband scenario will be the same issue as mine, but thought just to share it here.

Sometime, the cold probably caused by lack of food intact in the body. I was on liquid diet for a few days after the surgery, before I can eat some solid soup with veggies in it. After that, eat small meal every few hours when it's hungry,

But, after this experience, I am now a vegan. There is really no point to eat those unhealthy meat that could possible cause cancer cells to grow in the body. Just a thought. :-)

Thank you about post op
    Thanks once again for your words of encouragement and sharing your knowledge and experience. I only hope one day that I can be of assistance to someone else who needs it. The best to all of you. Also, maybe one day I can get hubby on here. I think he is still in denial right now. Have a great day!
  • j_rod
    j_rod Member Posts: 125

Thank you about post op
    Thanks once again for your words of encouragement and sharing your knowledge and experience. I only hope one day that I can be of assistance to someone else who needs it. The best to all of you. Also, maybe one day I can get hubby on here. I think he is still in denial right now. Have a great day!

You have helped
    if it wasn't for your post on this thread, I wouldn't have heard from everyone the possible side effects. My surgery is Tuesday. I will absolutely insist on pain meds when I leave the hospital. And now I am prepared to be cold, and to be on liquids for a while. I would not have expected any of this if I hadn't read this thread. your hubby is lucky to have you - and the fact that you found this site. Good luck
  • alice124
    alice124 Member Posts: 896 Member

Thank you about post op

Your husband's illness
    Just wondering how your husband is doing?
  • cindygodfrey2
    cindygodfrey2 Member Posts: 70
    alice124 said:

Your husband's illness
    Just wondering how your husband is doing?

1 week post op
    He ran a low grade fever off and on the last two days so that made him feel worse. He was in bed more than out of bed this past week. I went back to work today so I am not sure what all he did today. His rash finally started to clear so I guess it was the Morphine and also the tape from the dressings. We are anxiously awaiting the pathology report.
  • alice124
    alice124 Member Posts: 896 Member

1 week post op
    He ran a low grade fever off and on the last two days so that made him feel worse. He was in bed more than out of bed this past week. I went back to work today so I am not sure what all he did today. His rash finally started to clear so I guess it was the Morphine and also the tape from the dressings. We are anxiously awaiting the pathology report.

Sounds like he's recovering
    Sounds like he's recovering nicely after a tough beginning. Let's hope the pathology report is positive. Keep us posted.
  • foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    alice124 said:

Sounds like he's recovering
    Sounds like he's recovering nicely after a tough beginning. Let's hope the pathology report is positive. Keep us posted.

depression
    It's not depression. He is stock piling enthusiasm until he feels a little better.
  • Texas_wedge
    Texas_wedge Member Posts: 2,798
    foxhd said:

depression
    It's not depression. He is stock piling enthusiasm until he feels a little better.

That's a brilliant analysis - definitely one to remember. He's probably not wanting to count his chickens yet and is making himself a protective cushion against possible disappointment. (Hmm, I think that's going to be a good idea for me too.)

Another way of looking at it is that he's taking it like a man, which means not as well as a woman would be taking it.