In need of some experience

jmaddox915
jmaddox915 Member Posts: 80 Member
I am Stage IV, dx'd in July of 2009. I was Ned for about 9 short months and it came back in my ovary and also my abdomen. I had the HIPEC surgery in January of this year and the initial reaction is that it was looking good. However, here I am about 4 months later and I have a tumor on my left kidney and disease back in my abdomen.

I am going in April 10th for them to put in stint for my kidney and will have to wear a bag for a while.

My oncologist wants to put me on a trial with a chemo I have had before but with additional chemo meds. I guess when I hear trial, I am thinking I am getting to the end of my journey.

I am 42 and healthly other than this cancer thing.

I have been looking for things I can do myself in conjunction with my treatment that might help me. Juicing is one thing but I don't know that much about it and the posts with all the different experiences with jucing has my head spinning.

I just am not ready to go yet. I have an 8 yr old daughter and a wonderful husband that I want to be here long term. However, I am getting so weary....tired of doctors, procedures,chemo and no real answers.

Comments

• PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Hi
    Sorry to hear "it's" back.
    Just because your Onc suggested a trial doesn't mean you are near anything. Did you have success when you were on the first chemo? Maybe they want to add that to see if it's more effective. I did a phase II of a clinical trial and it went well.

Juicing is also a very good idea too. There are many who do juice and I'm sure they will chime in.
    Obviously, organic is best if you can get them. Dark green veggies like kale are very good too as is celery. Even though most fruits have natural sugar, cancer still feeds on sugar and one is better to limit those real sweet fruits in juicing.

Make sure you have good doctors that are offering sound plans. The thing that really is hard with cancer is that nobody can give you straight answers because no one has a guarantee.
    Hang in there.
    -phil
  • jmaddox915
    jmaddox915 Member Posts: 80 Member
    PhillieG said:

Hi
    Sorry to hear "it's" back.
    Just because your Onc suggested a trial doesn't mean you are near anything. Did you have success when you were on the first chemo? Maybe they want to add that to see if it's more effective. I did a phase II of a clinical trial and it went well.

Juicing is also a very good idea too. There are many who do juice and I'm sure they will chime in.
    Obviously, organic is best if you can get them. Dark green veggies like kale are very good too as is celery. Even though most fruits have natural sugar, cancer still feeds on sugar and one is better to limit those real sweet fruits in juicing.

Make sure you have good doctors that are offering sound plans. The thing that really is hard with cancer is that nobody can give you straight answers because no one has a guarantee.
    Hang in there.
    -phil

Thank you Phil. I did
    Thank you Phil. I did change oncologists last August. My original oncologist would not discuss the HIPEC procedure with me and I had developed an allergy to oxy and he had no clue which way to go. I have no doubt I would probably be much worse had I not changed. I am now seeing an oncologist who specializes in colon cancer at Duke University here in NC.

I have seen you on the board and read many of your posts to others. I know you have been fighting this for a long time and I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

As far as juicing, I have been using an apple, some carrots, kale and broccoli. Not sure how often I should do this but right now once a day.
  • thxmiker
    thxmiker Member Posts: 1,278 Member
    Diet and Exercise can help a lot!
    Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Juicing is a good idea. The idea is to get as much surface area of the food in contact with the stomach and intestines to help absorb nutrients. Eating balanced diet leaning away from carbos and leaning more to vegetable matter is a good choice. Upping one's Vit D and K is a good choice. Drinking more water. All of these things lead to a healthier body and allows one to heal faster/better. I did everything except juicing. I never felt like I was not getting the nutrition. I did some but little juicing. We also stopped eating all processed food. Once we starting reading all of the chemicals added, we were converts to whole real food.

I walked as much as I could. There were days I barely got around the block, but better some exercise then none. There were days that I actually got out to the wild and took a terrific hike. After my walks no matter the distance I always felt a little better.

Treatments are getting better all of the time. If one is not working, try something different. Let your Onc know what you are doing for your diet. He will help you with your blood work where the strengths and weaknesses are in your diet.

Best Always! mike
  • Randy33
    Randy33 Member Posts: 69 Member
    I was Stage 4 with mets to
    I was Stage 4 with mets to the liver. I have been NED for over 3 years now. I do 3hrs/day of exercising, eat a Medeterrainian diet, take supplements( asprin, fish oil, multivitamin, Co-Q10, resviratrol, grape seed extract, and Vit. D3), and .
    avoid stress. I read a good book that goes into detrail on things a cancer patient can do to improve his chances. Its called "Life over Cancer". Good luck in your battle.
  • Randy33
    I was Stage 4 with mets to
    I was Stage 4 with mets to the liver. I have been NED for over 3 years now. I do 3hrs/day of exercising, eat a Medeterrainian diet, take supplements( asprin, fish oil, multivitamin, Co-Q10, resviratrol, grape seed extract, and Vit. D3), and .
    avoid stress. I read a good book that goes into detrail on things a cancer patient can do to improve his chances. Its called "Life over Cancer". Good luck in your battle.
  • Randy33
    I would recommend reading
    I would recommend reading "Life over Cancer". I have been doing a lot of what is in the book and I have been NED now for over 3 years. I was Stage 4 with mets to my liver.