http://planetsave.com/2012/03/27/cancer-treatment-breakthrough-a-single-antibody-drug-found-to-shrin

camul
camul Member Posts: 2,537
I actually emailed Dr. Weissman, and within 24 hours received a response. This is one of the most promising of all research regarding cancer ever. Dr. Weissman's communications team advised me that unlike the normal 2- 5 years, this study will begin with human trials in 1 to 1 1/2 years. This is due to the funding already being in place, as well as the complete documentation of all of the preliminary experiments on the animals in the clinical trials.

He did tell me to continue with the treatments that I am currently on. Said they have heard from people who wanted to quit their chemo and wait for this. I smiled when I read it as I my thoughts were that the chemo's I am on will keep me alive long enough to be able to participate in one of the trials. So I emailed them back and thanked them for the information and told them not to worry, I had no intentions of stopping anything, that I need the chemo to stay alive!

So far in the laboratory trials, it has eradicated every solid cell cancer that it has been used on, and not one has showed a recurrence in the mice.

I have been following Stanford researchers as they worked so hard on HRT induced BC, which is what we believe I have. My disease has followed so closely to what they found in their research, ie.lack of response to chemo. With the HRT induced, when it does come back it is always deadly as tumors do not respond to chemo, which is what I am experiencing.

They were in the middle of a large study on stage iv bc cancer using stem cells when funding was pulled in the early 2000's and around 2010 - 2011 did a follow-up with UCLA researchers, on the patients who were involved in that study and found that 10 years later, more than half of them were alive and still thriving in NED, which was amazing for stage iv bc patients.

Separate from this newest research, a combination of researchers from Stanford and UCLA have also been working on getting trials approved much faster for stage iv cancer patients, bc and others, because most stage iv cancer patients don't have 2 - 5 years to wait for approval. If they can get this approved those of us with stage iv who have no other viable options, would be able to get approval in up to 6 months for therapy's that are proven (through trials) and just waiting on the FDA approval.

Makes my heart smile that they are working so hard for those of with stage iv who are running out of options.

This article is worth the read and it brings more hope. For me personally, even if I am no longer here when and if this is approved, it would mean that my 26 year old son who has a blood cancer and two brothers with CLL (one of the two also has Small Cell Lymphoma), could be cured with a series of inoculations. For my son now, his only hope for a cure is a bone marrow transplant, and bmt in itself is such high risk. How wonderful for him if this would work. He too is excited for this. I just pray that these researchers are on the right path.

This is why I can't give up hope, too many people working in my favor!

Comments

• SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Thank You for Posting
    I've read about this, sounds very hopeful.

Best,

Doris
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    SIROD said:

Thank You for Posting
    I've read about this, sounds very hopeful.

Best,

Doris

Carol Thanks
    I am glad that have have contacted the research group and they answered to your questions. Being a UCLA patient I will ask my doctor about this research at my next appointment.
    Hope is always with us along with our desire to see our children growing and living successful and happy lives
    New Flower
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member

Carol Thanks
    I am glad that have have contacted the research group and they answered to your questions. Being a UCLA patient I will ask my doctor about this research at my next appointment.
    Hope is always with us along with our desire to see our children growing and living successful and happy lives
    New Flower

Carol....
    Please ask your oncologist about Avastin....even though the FDA pulled it in Jan. For stage IV which we both have and others too, it is possible that your oncologist could get you on this....mine has through the manufacturer....as my insurance denied it as we knew it would....
    He explained in great detail that Avastin works as a vacillator drug that opens up the cancer cells and allows the actual chemo drugs to kill the cancerous cells...
    Avastin is over $ 100,000 a year....but once he got me approved through the manufacturer of the drug, they will replace the Avastin that I am given to the cancer center at no cost to me....Whew! I'm also given Zemzar( sp) and Carboplatin along with the Avastin...having # 2 of this on Tuesday...

It's something you may want to discuss with your oncologist....We can NEVER give up!

Big hugs to you, my friend
    Nancy
  • camul
    MAJW said:

Carol....
    Please ask your oncologist about Avastin....even though the FDA pulled it in Jan. For stage IV which we both have and others too, it is possible that your oncologist could get you on this....mine has through the manufacturer....as my insurance denied it as we knew it would....
    He explained in great detail that Avastin works as a vacillator drug that opens up the cancer cells and allows the actual chemo drugs to kill the cancerous cells...
    Avastin is over $ 100,000 a year....but once he got me approved through the manufacturer of the drug, they will replace the Avastin that I am given to the cancer center at no cost to me....Whew! I'm also given Zemzar( sp) and Carboplatin along with the Avastin...having # 2 of this on Tuesday...

It's something you may want to discuss with your oncologist....We can NEVER give up!

Big hugs to you, my friend
    Nancy

Thanks Nancy
    I will, right now he is trying the herceptin along with the navelbine and the evista. He is hoping that the herceptin will open the cells to allow the chemo to penetrate the cells. So it seems like our doctors are both looking in the same direction just using different drugs to get us there. I am really hoping that this study works. It would be amazing to actually find a cure for all of these cancers. I know some people here think there is a cure already, but there is a huge difference between ned and an actual cure!
    Carol
  • camul

Carol Thanks
    New Flower

New Flower
    I have been watching Stanford and UCLA as they have had teamed up on the HRT induced studies, and was amazed when the funding was pulled as it seemed that they were on to something with their studies on the stem cell. But with all the political and religious controversy over stem cell research at the time, coupled with the economy it was not too surprising. But they were having such favorable results. I am just so happy that such powerful institutions are coming so far with the research.

Carol
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Carol, thanks for sharing
    Carol, thanks for sharing this article. Your hope shines through and brings hope to the rest of us too. I'm going to look very closely at this....I'm just about an hour and half from Stanford.

Hugs,

Linda
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member

Carol, thanks for sharing
    Carol, thanks for sharing this article. Your hope shines through and brings hope to the rest of us too. I'm going to look very closely at this....I'm just about an hour and half from Stanford.

Hugs,

Linda

Carol, I was very excited reading your post
    This seems very encouraging. Now, another new wonderful possibility to put in my prayers each night. Thank you.

Hugs, Renee
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    missrenee said:

Carol, I was very excited reading your post
    This seems very encouraging. Now, another new wonderful possibility to put in my prayers each night. Thank you.

Hugs, Renee

... The Possibilities ....
    Carol .. Thank you so very much --

HOPE ... there is HOPE

Vicki Sam