problem with xeloda??

My husband has stage 4 colon cancer with distant lymph node mets. A scan in Jan 2012 showed the cancer had spread to more lymph nodes.
Doctor started him on weekly 5FU + leucovorin & vectibix every other week.
After 6 weekly treatments of the 5FU + leucovorin our local cancer clinic was not able to get the leucovorin. We could either switch to Xeloda or drive 60 miles to the bigger hospital & get the 5FU + leucovorin. He chose to do the Xeloda.
He takes 4000 mg daily for 7 days & does the vectibix every other week.
The doctor also told him to take 400 mg of B6 daily.
Now here is the problem within 4 days of starting the xeloda he has gone down hill.
He is so weak & tired he can't even leave the house.
He was not able to take the next dose of Xeloda and had to skip a week. He finished his 2nd week of xeloda on 3/12 & he is still very weak & tired. He stays in the bed most of the day. I am wondering if it has something to do with 5FU + leucovorin & then switching to the xeloda or if the B6 & xeloda could be causing him problems.
Have any of you ever had these problems with the xeloda?
Thanks for any info.

Comments

• coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    Find out about Fusilev,which i believe was touted as a possible
    substitute for leucovorin.....Preop i had done Xeloda but with oxi and radiation so side effects for me were due to all three
  • La.Grammy
    La.Grammy Member Posts: 35
    coloCan said:

Find out about Fusilev,which i believe was touted as a possible
    substitute for leucovorin.....Preop i had done Xeloda but with oxi and radiation so side effects for me were due to all three

Thanks for the info. No more
    Thanks for the info. No more Xeloda & vectibix.
    Pet scan showed his lymph nodes are getting bigger
    We will see the doctor tomorrow, hopefully she can come up with a different treatment.