48 hr Fasting before Chemo - #2

peterz54
peterz54 Member Posts: 341
edited March 2012 in Colorectal Cancer #1
This post is a followup to a post by Gabrielle (loveandhope). posting new so as not to get buried...

There is quite a lot more research than I expected on the issue of fasting and cancer/chemo and, in my layman's opinion,, some of it looks promissing. For those who are interested, a good review of the topic was written by V. Longo and C Lee in 2011. Here is title and abstract

Title: Fasting vs dietary restriction in cellular protection and cancer treatment:
from model organisms to patients

Abstract: The dietary recommendation for cancer patients receiving
chemotherapy, as described by the American Cancer
Society, is to increase calorie and protein intake. Yet, in
simple organisms, mice, and humans, fasting—no calorie
intake—induces a wide range of changes associated with
cellular protection, which would be difficult to achieve
even with a cocktail of potent drugs. In mammals, the
protective effect of fasting is mediated, in part, by an over
50% reduction in glucose and insulin-like growth factor 1
(IGF-I) levels. Because proto-oncogenes function as key
negative regulators of the protective changes induced by
fasting, cells expressing oncogenes, and therefore the
great majority of cancer cells, should not respond to
the protective signals generated by fasting, promoting the
differential protection (differential stress resistance) of
normal and cancer cells. Preliminary reports indicate that
fasting for up to 5 days followed by a normal diet, may
also protect patients against chemotherapy without
causing chronic weight loss. By contrast, the long-term
20 to 40% restriction in calorie intake (dietary restriction,
DR), whose effects on cancer progression have been
studied extensively for decades, requires weeks–months to
be effective, causes much more modest changes in glucose
and/or IGF-I levels, and promotes chronic weight loss in
both rodents and humans. In this study, we review the basic
as well as clinical studies on fasting, cellular protection and
chemotherapy resistance, and compare them to those on DR
and cancer treatment. Although additional pre-clinical and
clinical studies are necessary, fasting has the potential to be
translated into effective clinical interventions for the
protection of patients and the improvement of therapeutic
index.

Another researcher relevant to this is L. Fontana. He has shown that normal calorie restriction does not reduce IGF-1, the reduction of which appear essesntial for cancer protection, but that protein restriction does. I am speculating here, but there has been a correlation drawn between high protein consumption in our society and elevated IGF-1 and hence increased cancer incidence, so it seems to make sense that one, especially a cancer patient, would not want over-eat protein, but eat in modest quantities and shift the diet to plants instead of so much reliance on animal products. Plants contain many chemicals (e.g. polyphenols) which also appear to help regulate signalling that inhibits cancer cell growth

In any case, for those interested Google Scholar is your friend...

p

Comments

• pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    praise the lord, at last i can read something out there
    I just look at the golden arches and think mortality!

I am lucky i just had one organic chicken drumstick tonight for dinner.

this is just so interesting and its the tip of the iceberg.

making sense out of all the stuff on the internet is not easy, but we have to try.

imagine if the really effective cure is actually already out in cyber space and all
    we have to do is find it, yes i know its wishful thinking, but thats the way i think.

now of course run this past your onc and they will tell you , the research is not evidence based medicine (EBM) and its not in clinical practice. now I tell the onc, given the wonderfully optomistic prognosis ( not ) I'll play my game of life by my rules, no second chances, no playing it safe, no join the dots and put pete in the box.

well i have ditched ebm, I prefer HBA hope based alternatives. so ok having a low protein plant based diet is not everyones cup of tea. and thats green tea of course.

some of us like cruciferous vegetables anyway. so now we can go from vegan to fast to vegan.

given how boring vegan is for me, the idea of fasting is not big deal at all.
    now thats another positive for the vegan diet approach, as it lowers the barrier to fasting.

hugs,
    pete
  • asuehiro
    asuehiro Member Posts: 16
    48-hour fasting, part 2
    Peterz54,

A thinking man! Here is a link that you may or may not have already seen, but should appeal to your inquisitive mind.

http://defeatosteosarcoma.org/2011/04/fasting-as-an-adjunct-to-treatment-for-cancer/
  • asuehiro
    aspirin and cancer
    P,

A friend of mine at work (who was a medical researcher in an earlier life) just sent me this very interesting article. I am sure you will find it interesting, too.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/mar/20/cancer-drugs

I have been taking about 75 mg of aspirin every day for years now, but may have my wife do the same despite the risk of bleeding. I think the possibility of bleeding would be the least of her worries anyway. Again, everything is relative.
  • thingy45
    thingy45 Member Posts: 632 Member
    asuehiro said:

aspirin and cancer
    P,

A friend of mine at work (who was a medical researcher in an earlier life) just sent me this very interesting article. I am sure you will find it interesting, too.

I have been taking about 75 mg of aspirin every day for years now, but may have my wife do the same despite the risk of bleeding. I think the possibility of bleeding would be the least of her worries anyway. Again, everything is relative.

on the news
    Hi,
    It was just on the news here tonight in Edmonton Canada, that a aspirine a day was proven to decrease the change of colon cancer and a few other cancers.
  • asuehiro
    thingy45 said:

on the news
    Hi,
    It was just on the news here tonight in Edmonton Canada, that a aspirine a day was proven to decrease the change of colon cancer and a few other cancers.

aspirin and cancer
    Who would have thought? This is pretty exciting news on a subject that is usually lacking in much hope. Let's hope that something comes of it. In the mean time, a bottle of aspirin is pretty cheap insurance.
  • peterz54
    peterz54 Member Posts: 341
    asuehiro said:

aspirin and cancer
    P,

aspirin
    thanks, I posted a couple of links about aspirin in response to another post. it seems it may be of value to some people who already have mCRC as well as a preventative.
  • asuehiro
    peterz54 said:

aspirin
    thanks, I posted a couple of links about aspirin in response to another post. it seems it may be of value to some people who already have mCRC as well as a preventative.

more on aspirin and cancer

P,

You will find this article very interesting, but the last sentence is particularly disturbing and is a sad commentary on how the profit motive dictates where research money is spent. I am hoping that the effect of aspirin on the metastatic side of colorectal cancer will prove to be true because my wife started taking her 81 mg of aspirin this morning.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/shortcuts/2012/mar/21/can-aspirin-reduce-cancer-risk
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    asuehiro said:

P,

You will find this article very interesting, but the last sentence is particularly disturbing and is a sad commentary on how the profit motive dictates where research money is spent. I am hoping that the effect of aspirin on the metastatic side of colorectal cancer will prove to be true because my wife started taking her 81 mg of aspirin this morning.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/shortcuts/2012/mar/21/can-aspirin-reduce-cancer-risk

just be careful about the aspirin
    i was told it down regulated phase 1 liver detox, it depends on your clinical context and aspirins benefits may also be achieved by high tumeric which i am on.

i am off it for the time being because for me liver detox is key biological target given i have heavy metal toxity.

just do heaps of research and get the best health advice you can, you may even talk to your onc about aspirin. even my onc was wishy washy about aspirin. so i have been off on off on off. i am staying off for the forceable future. just my reasoning just for me.

everyone clinical needs are different, thats why this board is so interesting.

hugs,
    pete
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    asuehiro said:

P,

just be careful about the aspirin
    i was told it down regulated phase 1 liver detox, it depends on your clinical context and aspirins benefits may also be achieved by high tumeric which i am on.

i am off it for the time being because for me liver detox is key biological target given i have heavy metal toxity.

just do heaps of research and get the best health advice you can, you may even talk to your onc about aspirin. even my onc was wishy washy about aspirin. so i have been off on off on off. i am staying off for the forceable future. just my reasoning just for me.

everyone clinical needs are different, thats why this board is so interesting.

hugs,
    pete