Anyone have breast cancer for the seond time - other breast?

jgpaulson
jgpaulson Member Posts: 32
Hi:
Could you share your experience with having breast cancer for the second time in the other breast?

I'm really scared. What did they do? Chemo,masectomy, etc?

Thanks,
Jeanne

Comments

• LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Prayers
    Hi Jeanne -- I was just dx last year with my first bc. But there will be some wonderful ladies here to help you. I also wanted to wish you well and to let you know you're in my prayers. We will be here for you. Hang in there. You can and will do this.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Prayers
    Hi Jeanne -- I was just dx last year with my first bc. But there will be some wonderful ladies here to help you. I also wanted to wish you well and to let you know you're in my prayers. We will be here for you. Hang in there. You can and will do this.

Not sure what you are
    Not sure what you are asking? I have had 3 breast cancer diagnosis'. IDC in left, local recurrence, then ILC in right breast. If you are talking about a new cancer in the other breast, they treat it like a new cancer with all the staging etc... I had chemo again, and rads again. I chose mastectomy but after all was said and done it was a good choice because of the pathology. hope this helps. It pretty much sucks sorry. But if you have to do it agian you will. you dont want to but you will!!!
  • jgpaulson
    jgpaulson Member Posts: 32
    carkris said:

Not sure what you are
    Not sure what you are asking? I have had 3 breast cancer diagnosis'. IDC in left, local recurrence, then ILC in right breast. If you are talking about a new cancer in the other breast, they treat it like a new cancer with all the staging etc... I had chemo again, and rads again. I chose mastectomy but after all was said and done it was a good choice because of the pathology. hope this helps. It pretty much sucks sorry. But if you have to do it agian you will. you dont want to but you will!!!

Not sure what you are
    Hello:
    Thank you so much for your reply. Yes, I am talking about a new cancer in my other breast.

My I ask - was your choice to have chemo and radiation the second time for the other breast or the dr's choice. Did they do these things because you had breast cancer for the second time in another breast? Also was it your choice or the dr's for the mastsectomy?

Yes, it does suck because you know what you are going to go through again - and that for me creates a lot of anxiety.

And yes I don't want to, but I don't have any other choice but I will - you are right.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    jgpaulson said:

Not sure what you are
    Hello:
    Thank you so much for your reply. Yes, I am talking about a new cancer in my other breast.

My I ask - was your choice to have chemo and radiation the second time for the other breast or the dr's choice. Did they do these things because you had breast cancer for the second time in another breast? Also was it your choice or the dr's for the mastsectomy?

Yes, it does suck because you know what you are going to go through again - and that for me creates a lot of anxiety.

And yes I don't want to, but I don't have any other choice but I will - you are right.

I've only had bc once and
    I've only had bc once and had a lumpectomy with rads, but, I wanted to tell you how sorry I am and that you will be in my prayers.

There are several pink sisters on here that have battled the beast 2 and even 3 times that I hope will post info for you.

Good luck,

Diane
  • RozHopkins
    RozHopkins Member Posts: 578 Member
    Hi Jeanne
    I had same breast cancer in both sides Infiltrating Lobular. Dont want to bore you but had one mastectomy and the other side was reduced by plastic surgeon in order to balance them both out eventually. I was 38 DDD, and getting bigger for some reason. When the reduction material was tested as it is automatically, it came back positive for pre cancer cells and a small 'active' area hence one month later had my second mastectomy. So I had only the one batch of chemo and no rads. The way you fear reoccurence on the other side is the way we all feel after bilateral a fear of one single cell escaping into the rib cage or organs ect. I certainly wouldn't want to go through it again but you do, your family and friends would be there giving all that support helping us along.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Hi Jeanne
    I had same breast cancer in both sides Infiltrating Lobular. Dont want to bore you but had one mastectomy and the other side was reduced by plastic surgeon in order to balance them both out eventually. I was 38 DDD, and getting bigger for some reason. When the reduction material was tested as it is automatically, it came back positive for pre cancer cells and a small 'active' area hence one month later had my second mastectomy. So I had only the one batch of chemo and no rads. The way you fear reoccurence on the other side is the way we all feel after bilateral a fear of one single cell escaping into the rib cage or organs ect. I certainly wouldn't want to go through it again but you do, your family and friends would be there giving all that support helping us along.

The mastectomy was my choice
    The mastectomy was my choice initially. I was actually in the process of getting a propholactic one done when I felt the area of concern that turned out to be ILC I think I just knew. The chemo and rads was because of the kind and extent of the new cancer. Not based on my previous cancer at all. Onc decided I complied although kicking and screaming the entire way. I wish I had them both removed from the get go but hind sight is 20/20
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Not me, but my sister...
    After battling stage III anal cancer, 2 years ago, she was dx'ed with not one, but two cancerous lumps...one in each breast...two different cancers...

Because she was already being monitored for the anal cancer, these were caught very early. She was given the choice of lumpectomy(s) or mastectomy(s). After much thinking and research, she decided on lumpectomies...and radiation. The chemo, no...no spread to lymph system, and the test (I can't remember what it is...sigh...STILL chemo brain for me *smile*) for how likely a reoccurrance is was favoring no chemo. She had a rough time with the chemo from the anal cancer, so decided against it.

I had rectal cancer, stage III, followed by breast cancer, stage II (both primary). I had lumpectomy, and then, because of sentinel nodes being positive, chemo and rads. Over 5 years later, I remain cancer free on both cancers...I always wonder if the Oxcilliplatin and the 5FU for the rectal 'sickened' the breast cancer, and then the Adriamycin/Cytoxin/Taxol finished the job...

Hope this helps....

Dutch hugs, Kathi
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Hi, Jeanne...
    My 1st BC DX - right breast - will be 9 years ago come July (2003). Lumpectomy surgery - many positive lymph nodes from both the breast & armpit led to chemotherapy, followed by radiation. Tamoxifen for 2 years; then, switched to Arimidex (anastrozole) - which I'm still taking.

In August of last year (2011), annual mammo led to my 2nd DX - of a completely different type of BC, and in the other/left breast. Again, lumpectomy surgery. This time, no chemo was recommended (very tiny tumor, clean lymph nodes & margins). Finished a full course of radiation in early December, from which am still recovering.

All my onc doctors were/are excellent at explaining the pros & cons of their recommendations and my options. I base all my decisions on "percentage of risk" levels - choosing the treatments that bring that % to its lowest possible.

I'm so sorry you're facing this again, Jeanne - because I completely understand how damned scary it is, having just dealt with it myself. Soon after my 2nd DX, my med onc doctor shared this with me: although the mental health professionals state that "fear of the unknown" is the worst of all - oncology professionals know this isn't so for us, cancer survivors. For us, cancer survivors, fear of cancer & its treatments - "the known" - is much worse.

No matter what you'll face this time around, we're all here to support and encourage you.

Kind regards, Susan
  • squantum
    squantum Member Posts: 5
    Hello,
    I was diagnosed about

Hello,

I was diagnosed about 8 years ago with ER+/PR+ HER-...did the full treatment; surgery 2x, chemo (ACT), and tamoxifen for 5 years. Just this last November, 2011, I was diagnosed with cancer in my other breast...very, very small and radiation was suggested. The pathology report read "it could be a new cancer, although, it's most likely a metastasis". Because of this, I asked for a CT chest/thoracic scan. If they didn't know which one it was, I wanted to feel safe and secure that it didn't travel anywhere else. It turned out that I have BC ER+/PR+/HER- to bone metastasis...from my skull to my knees. Thankfully, my organs are not involved. I don't want to scare you, but I would ask for an upper scan to make sure it didn't go anywhere else. I'm on Zometa (to strengthen my bones) and Arimidex (antiestrogen drug) to prevent the growth of the tumors. All in all, I feel okay, it's more of a mental challenge for me than a physical one. I'm trying to stay positive...

Hopefully, your new cancer will not turn out this way and you will be treated accordingly; chemo, drugs, and radiation.

Wishing and praying for a full recovery for you and all of us out there...
    Best,
    Karen
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    DianeBC said:

I've only had bc once and
    I've only had bc once and had a lumpectomy with rads, but, I wanted to tell you how sorry I am and that you will be in my prayers.

There are several pink sisters on here that have battled the beast 2 and even 3 times that I hope will post info for you.

Good luck,

Diane

Jeanne, I wanted you to know
    Jeanne, I wanted you to know that the pink sisters are all here for you, so, please post often. I am very sorry that the beast has reared it's ugly head again for you.

We are here to support and encourage you, so, remember that.

Sue :)
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    squantum said:

Hello,
    I was diagnosed about

Hello,

I was diagnosed about 8 years ago with ER+/PR+ HER-...did the full treatment; surgery 2x, chemo (ACT), and tamoxifen for 5 years. Just this last November, 2011, I was diagnosed with cancer in my other breast...very, very small and radiation was suggested. The pathology report read "it could be a new cancer, although, it's most likely a metastasis". Because of this, I asked for a CT chest/thoracic scan. If they didn't know which one it was, I wanted to feel safe and secure that it didn't travel anywhere else. It turned out that I have BC ER+/PR+/HER- to bone metastasis...from my skull to my knees. Thankfully, my organs are not involved. I don't want to scare you, but I would ask for an upper scan to make sure it didn't go anywhere else. I'm on Zometa (to strengthen my bones) and Arimidex (antiestrogen drug) to prevent the growth of the tumors. All in all, I feel okay, it's more of a mental challenge for me than a physical one. I'm trying to stay positive...

Hopefully, your new cancer will not turn out this way and you will be treated accordingly; chemo, drugs, and radiation.

Best,
    Karen

I am sending cyber hugs,
    I am sending cyber hugs, positive thoughts and prayers.

Hugs, Noel
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    squantum said:

Hello,
    I was diagnosed about

Hello,

Best,
    Karen

double post
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    KathiM said:

Not me, but my sister...
    After battling stage III anal cancer, 2 years ago, she was dx'ed with not one, but two cancerous lumps...one in each breast...two different cancers...

Because she was already being monitored for the anal cancer, these were caught very early. She was given the choice of lumpectomy(s) or mastectomy(s). After much thinking and research, she decided on lumpectomies...and radiation. The chemo, no...no spread to lymph system, and the test (I can't remember what it is...sigh...STILL chemo brain for me *smile*) for how likely a reoccurrance is was favoring no chemo. She had a rough time with the chemo from the anal cancer, so decided against it.

I had rectal cancer, stage III, followed by breast cancer, stage II (both primary). I had lumpectomy, and then, because of sentinel nodes being positive, chemo and rads. Over 5 years later, I remain cancer free on both cancers...I always wonder if the Oxcilliplatin and the 5FU for the rectal 'sickened' the breast cancer, and then the Adriamycin/Cytoxin/Taxol finished the job...

Hope this helps....

Dutch hugs, Kathi

Just wanting to say good
    Just wanting to say good luck Jeanne and to come here and post often as we are here to support you and help you.

Hugs, Megan
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    carkris said:

The mastectomy was my choice
    The mastectomy was my choice initially. I was actually in the process of getting a propholactic one done when I felt the area of concern that turned out to be ILC I think I just knew. The chemo and rads was because of the kind and extent of the new cancer. Not based on my previous cancer at all. Onc decided I complied although kicking and screaming the entire way. I wish I had them both removed from the get go but hind sight is 20/20

Good luck Jeanne and keep
    Good luck Jeanne and keep posting.

Hugs, Jan