Sunburn

Options
Doc_Hawk
Doc_Hawk Member Posts: 685
Howdy all y'all!

Last Saturday, I went down to Phoenix Arizona to visit my daughter and go to the Renn Fair they hold there every year. I asked her if she could put some sunscreen on me when we got out of the car and after we got parked, everyone forgot about it. I didn't remember that I needed it until way too late. In the past I'd been very careful staying out of the sun because my fingers are so badly cracked from chemo that lotions burn my hands.

Well, I got a bad sunburn and the next day the second degree blisters started to form. By that night, I had charred tissue on my nose and left cheek and jaw and Monday morning I wasted a couple of hours by going to the VA hospital in Prescott to get jerked around. By Tuesday, the swelling in my left cheek was forcing my eye to half close and the skin felt hard and tight and the charring was getting worse. Putting anything on it except ice made it burn worse, so I stopped using lotions. I'm trying to find aloe that does not contain additives and especially alcohol.

So, if anyone else has gone through this, can you recommend an aloe gel? And if you haven't gone through it, please if you are susceptible to burn due to chemo, learn from my mistake and use at least an SPF 70 sunscreen!

Comments

• smokeyjoe
    smokeyjoe Member Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Yikes!!!

Yikes!!!
  • Lorikat
    Lorikat Member Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Ouch!
    I have LOTS of sunscreen but forget to use it! I think you just SCARED me into remembering....Thank you!
  • Phoebesnow
    Phoebesnow Member Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Lorikat said:

Ouch!
    I have LOTS of sunscreen but forget to use it! I think you just SCARED me into remembering....Thank you!

Sunscreen
    Silvadyne cream should help with the burns.

I am a surfer and a landscape designer. After many years I have discovered cvs brand sunscreen with
    Zinc oxide is the best 35 or better. Sunscreen should be applied 20 minutes b4 u go in the sun. It is an active ingredient, so needs to be stored in a cool environment, not in the sun. Cvs is a pharmacy in California. I have tried other screens that cost more money with zinc and they did not work for long term outdoor use.
    Sunscreen also has an expiration date.

I hope u feel better soon.

Thanks for reminding others here as spring is approaching.
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    The plant
    The best thing to do is get an aloe plant and break off a piece and use the gel inside.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • Doc_Hawk
    Options
    tootsie1 said:

The plant
    The best thing to do is get an aloe plant and break off a piece and use the gel inside.

*hugs*
    Gail

Aloe
    I grew up in Hawaii and we had aloe plants in the backyard that got used a lot. Unfortunately I live in Utah now and the cold weather would kill the aloe. C'est la guerre.
  • Buckwirth
    Buckwirth Member Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options

Sunscreen
    Silvadyne cream should help with the burns.

I am a surfer and a landscape designer. After many years I have discovered cvs brand sunscreen with
    Zinc oxide is the best 35 or better. Sunscreen should be applied 20 minutes b4 u go in the sun. It is an active ingredient, so needs to be stored in a cool environment, not in the sun. Cvs is a pharmacy in California. I have tried other screens that cost more money with zinc and they did not work for long term outdoor use.
    Sunscreen also has an expiration date.

I hope u feel better soon.

Thanks for reminding others here as spring is approaching.

I had bad second
    degree burns on the inside of my hand after grabbing a hot motorcycle exhaust (stupid, stupid stupid). I think it was silvadyne that they put on at the hospital, if it was, it was immediately soothing. There are a couple of nurses on here, can't give medical advice, but maybe they could answer this question:

What creams might they use to sooth burn pain (sun or heat) if I presented in the ER?

Now, you might want to call one of your docs. There will be someone to answer the call 24 hours a day and they should give you the straight dope over the phone.

And... I like the idea of zinc oxide. Maybe Desitin could provide some relief?
  • Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    Doc_Hawk said:

Aloe
    I grew up in Hawaii and we had aloe plants in the backyard that got used a lot. Unfortunately I live in Utah now and the cold weather would kill the aloe. C'est la guerre.

Hi Doc
    If you have a sunny window, you should be able to keep an aloe plant in a flower pot growing. Maybe not to the same size as those in Hawaii, but enough to help you out medically.

Marie who loves kitties
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Yikes!!!
    Actually I have several LARGE aloe plants that I use for occasions like this, (indoor and outdoor, the indoor are in a window and quite huge) so I'm unsure of an aloe brand to buy in the store. I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but just want you to know you have my SYMPATHY!!!
    Winter Marie
  • Doc_Hawk
    Options

Yikes!!!
    Actually I have several LARGE aloe plants that I use for occasions like this, (indoor and outdoor, the indoor are in a window and quite huge) so I'm unsure of an aloe brand to buy in the store. I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but just want you to know you have my SYMPATHY!!!
    Winter Marie

Thanks
    to all! When I was visiting my old treatment center in Flagstaff they gave me some samples of Aquaphor for the cracks on my hands and feet. I tried that and it felt good and soothing and the burns stopped hurting for a while. My sister also brought me some silvadine that she had at home and that helped also. I've definitely learned my lesson from this experience. Guess I'll have to wear a balaclava in the summer while riding and make sure that any exposed skin is protected by sunscreen.

Hugs to all1

Ray
  • need support
    need support Member Posts: 40
    Options
    stay out of the sun during chemo
    My nurse is a personal friend, first thing she warned me about was staying out of the sun during my treatments, Stating you can burn very fast. What i didnt realize with minimal sun exposure it looked like I came home from a vacation in florida laying on the beach for a week. Be careful, it's a well known side affect. chuck