Anyone have rectal resection and liver resection as one surgery?

Devasted
Devasted Member Posts: 185
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
If you have any experience, what should we expect?
Thanks

Comments

• Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    The Big Whopper
    Oh my!

That sounds like a mighty big surgery, D.

Either of those surgeries on their own merit is enough for one person, but 2 at once?

I don't have enough depth to understand why they are doing a 2'fer, but I'm sure hopeful that the surgeon(s) will do all that is right to make this right.

I had a rectal resection and a scheduled liver resect (turned to RFA) but at different times. I can tell you that the scar tissue in my liver area is hard as a rock and mighty uncomfortable with occasional pain over 2 years removed. Just not an easy surgery. Neither are.

As far as what to expect - all depends on the patient - I've found more people on the board do much better than me with whatever they do, so I'm not a good guideline.

Rectal surgery cost me 2 years right off the top in healing - actually more, but the first 2 years, I was a prisoner in my own body. I had alot of radiation done though and it fried my intestines like "bacon" I was told by the surgeon, so this added complications. Not getting a temp or perm colostomy, my intestines never got a chance to rest either, so this added to my woes.

Liver - the area is tender still and full of scar tissue - hard and unforgiving. They cut through so much fat and muscle and clipped nerves and whatnot and I'm beginning to think that I will have to just live with those.

The biggest advice I could give you is TIME. Just be patient and don't rush anything - time can move slowly but it will take some time to get through such a thing as this - it's very major surgery and will knock the body for a loop.

Just keepin' it real for you - you know I can't lie to you:)

Is this coming up soon?

I know you guys have worked long and hard for this, so I'm happy you are in position to do this - just wish it was one at a time, but sometimes we just have to play the hand we're dealt.

Best wishes - positive vibes - healing thoughts - already on their way to you and yours:)

-Craig
  • Devasted
    Devasted Member Posts: 185
    Sundanceh said:

The Big Whopper
    Oh my!

That sounds like a mighty big surgery, D.

Either of those surgeries on their own merit is enough for one person, but 2 at once?

I don't have enough depth to understand why they are doing a 2'fer, but I'm sure hopeful that the surgeon(s) will do all that is right to make this right.

I had a rectal resection and a scheduled liver resect (turned to RFA) but at different times. I can tell you that the scar tissue in my liver area is hard as a rock and mighty uncomfortable with occasional pain over 2 years removed. Just not an easy surgery. Neither are.

As far as what to expect - all depends on the patient - I've found more people on the board do much better than me with whatever they do, so I'm not a good guideline.

Rectal surgery cost me 2 years right off the top in healing - actually more, but the first 2 years, I was a prisoner in my own body. I had alot of radiation done though and it fried my intestines like "bacon" I was told by the surgeon, so this added complications. Not getting a temp or perm colostomy, my intestines never got a chance to rest either, so this added to my woes.

Liver - the area is tender still and full of scar tissue - hard and unforgiving. They cut through so much fat and muscle and clipped nerves and whatnot and I'm beginning to think that I will have to just live with those.

The biggest advice I could give you is TIME. Just be patient and don't rush anything - time can move slowly but it will take some time to get through such a thing as this - it's very major surgery and will knock the body for a loop.

Just keepin' it real for you - you know I can't lie to you:)

Is this coming up soon?

I know you guys have worked long and hard for this, so I'm happy you are in position to do this - just wish it was one at a time, but sometimes we just have to play the hand we're dealt.

Best wishes - positive vibes - healing thoughts - already on their way to you and yours:)

-Craig

You're right

Thanks, Craig...I was hoping you were here..

The surg. onc. said it was a big undertaking but it could be done....
    said my husband has no other health problems and it's possible.
    I was excited at first, now getting scared!

He wants to remove the rectal tumor because it is the root of the problem and
    now that the liver seems to be under control...it's time to take the primary tumor and
    the liver leisons...may require two surgeries?? (for two parts of the liver)?
    I guess they don't ever exactly know until the surgery begins...

There are leisons on the top and bottom of the liver (luckily exterior of liver-
    none interior). He is scheduled for PVE mid month, 4-6 weeks will check, if
    everything is ok, surgery will be following week.

I am just wondering about recovery....he has completed paperwork for short term disability
    (6 months). Is there such a thing as "surgeryxiety"...you know like scanxiety?
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Devasted said:

You're right

Thanks, Craig...I was hoping you were here..

The surg. onc. said it was a big undertaking but it could be done....
    said my husband has no other health problems and it's possible.
    I was excited at first, now getting scared!

He wants to remove the rectal tumor because it is the root of the problem and
    now that the liver seems to be under control...it's time to take the primary tumor and
    the liver leisons...may require two surgeries?? (for two parts of the liver)?
    I guess they don't ever exactly know until the surgery begins...

There are leisons on the top and bottom of the liver (luckily exterior of liver-
    none interior). He is scheduled for PVE mid month, 4-6 weeks will check, if
    everything is ok, surgery will be following week.

I am just wondering about recovery....he has completed paperwork for short term disability
    (6 months). Is there such a thing as "surgeryxiety"...you know like scanxiety?

"surgeryxiety"
    New word for our dictionary:)

But you already know that there is...surgery is a time for reflection - a time for looking back - a time for looking forward - but always wondering IF...

Recovery is the tough part alright - this is where the battle of the mind takes place while the body tries to heal itself - many emotions happen during this time, but we'll only think about the good ones.

You're right again - nobody can ever tell you the absolute truth until they OPEN YOU UP - period. So things may change in the course of the surgery - they might opt to just do the rectal surgery only and revisit the liver - this would not be all bad - but we'll have to play this one out, all the time hoping for the best.

It's good that he's set up for 6-months STD - this is a mighty big relief for those of us still working at our jobs - take some of the pressure off, knowing you have something to return to when you're better.

It's a tough time - probably will be alot of bowel issues - the bowel has ro re-learn a whole new way of doing the same job it was doing, before the "handy man" came in and tinkered with the "plumbing." The bowel just hates to be messed with.

But as I said - TIME, TIME, and more TIME. It is the great equalizer - looking back now and if you saw my news video, I said, "I was so sick, I thought I'd never get better..." That's what I was referring to. For all the reasons, I stated my bowels had taken too many major licks and we were just asking too much out of it.

Time did settle things down - remember "It's always darkest before the dawn."

You know I anxiously await any news you have - please let me know.

BTW - on the liver taking 2 surgeries - maybe this is a good thing too - the liver is the key to our existence, so if it takes 2, I'd be OK with that. We got "time" right?

All the best, darlin' :)

-Craig
  • mom_2_3
    mom_2_3 Member Posts: 953 Member
    Surgery
    I am not sure if you meant just rectal or colon but I did have colon and liver surgery at the same time.

The first part of the surgery was my liver surgery. The liver surgeon removed about 1/2 my liver and implanted an HAI pump for adjuvant therapy. The second surgical team came in after and the colorectal surgeon removed 12 inches of my colon and 42 lymph nodes. All total I was in surgery for 7 hours. I was told prior to my operation that it was 50/50 that I would wake up with a temp illeostomy. The surgeon said it depended on how "healthy" the colon looked as he didn't want to risk an infection which could possibly delay the adjuvant chemo. As it turns out I didn't need the ileostomy.

When we were consulting for surgery each of the surgeons (liver vs colorectal) had differing opinions about staged vs simultaneous surgeries. The liver surgeon recommended doing both the same day as the recovery time overall would be less. He also said he would need to be first as one wouldn't want the risk of contamination from the colon surgery prior to the liver resection. The colorectal surgeon wanted to do a staged approach where we did one first and the second 6-8 weeks later. In the end it was my decision which route to take and I wanted it all out at the same time. My surgery was in 2/09.

My scar runs from right beneath my breastbone done about 5 inches past my belly button. The scar takes a turn around the belly button. The first 2 days were pretty painful but the pain was under control after that. I was more stiff and tired than anything. The stiffness lasted about 2 weeks and the fatigue lasted about 6 weeks. I feel completely back to normal today other than I have a bump in my abdomen where they placed the HAI pump. That will be removed in 4 years if I am able to stay NED until then.

I had a breathing tube during surgery but it wasn't in when I woke up. I had no other tubes (NG or epidural for example) other than a catheter for the first 24 hours. My bowels were a little weird for the first couple of weeks (I had to use the bathroom 4-5 times per day) but that is no longer the case.

I hope your experience is as good as my own. What hospital will you be going to?
  • snommintj
    snommintj Member Posts: 601
    mom_2_3 said:

Surgery
    I am not sure if you meant just rectal or colon but I did have colon and liver surgery at the same time.

The first part of the surgery was my liver surgery. The liver surgeon removed about 1/2 my liver and implanted an HAI pump for adjuvant therapy. The second surgical team came in after and the colorectal surgeon removed 12 inches of my colon and 42 lymph nodes. All total I was in surgery for 7 hours. I was told prior to my operation that it was 50/50 that I would wake up with a temp illeostomy. The surgeon said it depended on how "healthy" the colon looked as he didn't want to risk an infection which could possibly delay the adjuvant chemo. As it turns out I didn't need the ileostomy.

When we were consulting for surgery each of the surgeons (liver vs colorectal) had differing opinions about staged vs simultaneous surgeries. The liver surgeon recommended doing both the same day as the recovery time overall would be less. He also said he would need to be first as one wouldn't want the risk of contamination from the colon surgery prior to the liver resection. The colorectal surgeon wanted to do a staged approach where we did one first and the second 6-8 weeks later. In the end it was my decision which route to take and I wanted it all out at the same time. My surgery was in 2/09.

My scar runs from right beneath my breastbone done about 5 inches past my belly button. The scar takes a turn around the belly button. The first 2 days were pretty painful but the pain was under control after that. I was more stiff and tired than anything. The stiffness lasted about 2 weeks and the fatigue lasted about 6 weeks. I feel completely back to normal today other than I have a bump in my abdomen where they placed the HAI pump. That will be removed in 4 years if I am able to stay NED until then.

I had a breathing tube during surgery but it wasn't in when I woke up. I had no other tubes (NG or epidural for example) other than a catheter for the first 24 hours. My bowels were a little weird for the first couple of weeks (I had to use the bathroom 4-5 times per day) but that is no longer the case.

I hope your experience is as good as my own. What hospital will you be going to?

No big deal
    I had most of my rectum and sigmoid colon removed along with 70% of my liver, my gall bladder, and several other misc pieces. The surgery lasted 14 hours. The surgery wasn't supposed to be as extensive as it was but the surgeon kept finding cancer so he just kept cutting. I really don't think the recovery was that big of a deal. There is gonna be a big midline incision, but with the glue, and staples they use, you should be fine. They will probably leave a drain in you for a few days. That will be surprising when they pull it out. As long as you don't get infection you should be back on your feet in a week. I played a full round of golf in 6 weeks without any pain. If you did your homework when picking your surgeon, you'll be fine. Trust your team and don't worry.
  • Lilmiss82
    Lilmiss82 Member Posts: 257 Member
    snommintj said:

No big deal
    I had most of my rectum and sigmoid colon removed along with 70% of my liver, my gall bladder, and several other misc pieces. The surgery lasted 14 hours. The surgery wasn't supposed to be as extensive as it was but the surgeon kept finding cancer so he just kept cutting. I really don't think the recovery was that big of a deal. There is gonna be a big midline incision, but with the glue, and staples they use, you should be fine. They will probably leave a drain in you for a few days. That will be surprising when they pull it out. As long as you don't get infection you should be back on your feet in a week. I played a full round of golf in 6 weeks without any pain. If you did your homework when picking your surgeon, you'll be fine. Trust your team and don't worry.

I had my surgery in Sept
    But I was 27 at the time so recovery was pretty easy. They first preformed the rectal resection by laparoscopic surgery. I had chemo/ rad prior to surgery which was very effective so they only removed about 6 cm of my rectum sphincter muscle was preserved and 14 lymph nodes removed. They then did the liver resection which was not laparscopic. My scar is about 10 cm and starts from the right of my rib cage curves up towards breast bone and than again follows the rib cage to the far left. I woke up to a lot of staples from that incision and a drain below the belly button for drainage from the rectal surgery. Total surgery time was about 8 hrs. As far as pain I had both the pain pump and an epidural which I highly recommend it. If they don't offer both ask for it please. Also, make sure they give a pillow to squeeze to the stomach if you need to cough or sneeze it helps with the pain. I don't know if this is common but during my recovery I had a lot of shoulder pain which they said was referred pain from the liver resection but I later found out that after surgery when I was removed from the surgery table to the hospital bed they dislocated my shoulder. To this day my shoulder is killing me so not saying this happens to everyone but that was the toughest part for me for recovery and the drain removal kinda hurt or as the doctor said feels uncomfortable. Also, start walking as soon as you feel up to it it helps wake up the bowels and if you have the open liver surgery like I did lean up against a wall with your back as straight as possible it helps loosen the tightness of the incision. I hope this helps if you have any other questions feel free to pm me:)
  • aunteem
    aunteem Member Posts: 1
    mom_2_3 said:

Surgery

My husband is going to go thru the same this week
    Hi
    Wondering how you are doing today. It has been a few years for you, and wondering how things have been since your surgery. This week they resect the colon and right side of his liver. My husband will have to go thru a second surgery to resect the other side of his liver in about 8 weeks. Just looking for some information on life after this type of surgery. Thank you for any information you can give me.
  • Vickilg
    Vickilg Member Posts: 281 Member
    aunteem said:

My husband is going to go thru the same this week
    Hi
    Wondering how you are doing today. It has been a few years for you, and wondering how things have been since your surgery. This week they resect the colon and right side of his liver. My husband will have to go thru a second surgery to resect the other side of his liver in about 8 weeks. Just looking for some information on life after this type of surgery. Thank you for any information you can give me.

Hi, Aunteem
    Good morning... I had both surgeries done at one time laproscopic. I had about two weeks of down time to lay around and recoup. Six weeks after the surgery I was on a plane for a one-week business trip where I was standing 9 hours a day. I was fine. Life returned to normal. Wishing the best for your husband and hoping they can do it laproscopic. :)