Vitamix

MikeK703
MikeK703 Member Posts: 235
Well, I've taken the plunge and ordered a Vitamix. There's no way in the world that I am going to eat my veggies. I know that for a fact. I am hoping that making a drink out of them, so I can chug-a-lug it and get it over with, may be the answer. So if anybody has any recipes that might work for, say, a 10-year-old who gags on most veggies, please let me know.

Comments

• Texas_wedge
    Texas_wedge Member Posts: 2,798
    Vitamix recipes
    Mike, it will come with a useful manual and recipe selection so don't worry too much. As a recent purchaser and already an enthusiastic user, I can vouch that you have made a very good decision which will do your health no end of good. Several older hands here, like Jennifer, will be able to give you lots of great ideas. Enjoy it.
  • livealive
    livealive Member Posts: 127

Vitamix recipes
    Mike, it will come with a useful manual and recipe selection so don't worry too much. As a recent purchaser and already an enthusiastic user, I can vouch that you have made a very good decision which will do your health no end of good. Several older hands here, like Jennifer, will be able to give you lots of great ideas. Enjoy it.

Vitamix
    I eat my vegetables, do I Need this machine ?
  • Texas_wedge
    livealive said:

Vitamix
    I eat my vegetables, do I Need this machine ?

non-vital
    No, you don't. You're fine already.

But it does make it easy to create delicious smoothies and lovely soups etc.

(Raj, I'm assuming that as well as a good range of veggies you also eat plenty of fruit. Is that correct? If not, please do and there a Vitamix might help. I've just knocked up a smoothie of banana, apple, grapes and spinach - very tasty and good food value.)
  • MikeK703

non-vital
    No, you don't. You're fine already.

But it does make it easy to create delicious smoothies and lovely soups etc.

(Raj, I'm assuming that as well as a good range of veggies you also eat plenty of fruit. Is that correct? If not, please do and there a Vitamix might help. I've just knocked up a smoothie of banana, apple, grapes and spinach - very tasty and good food value.)

Sounds delicious
    Tex, that smoothie sounds delicious ... if we get rid of that last ingredient.
    One evening during dinner, about 55 years ago, I sneaked the canned spinach (yecch!) from my plate and put it in some tissues and put that in my pocket. (My mother used to let me eat in front of the TV to watch the Mickey Mouse Club so it was easy to do.) I planned to flush it right after dinner. It was an old trick that had worked for me many times before. This time, however, my father was spending too much time in the john and my pocket was bulging. I panicked and and tossed it into the top shelf of my parents' bedroom closet. Two years later my mother found it. She called me into the room and asked me what it was. I said, "It looks like spinach." "How did it get there?" she asked. I answered, "Maybe it was there when we moved in." She laughed and I got off scot free. But I wouldn't hesitate to do that again if my wife ever made me spinach.
  • rae_rae
    rae_rae Member Posts: 300 Member
    MikeK703 said:

Sounds delicious
    Tex, that smoothie sounds delicious ... if we get rid of that last ingredient.
    One evening during dinner, about 55 years ago, I sneaked the canned spinach (yecch!) from my plate and put it in some tissues and put that in my pocket. (My mother used to let me eat in front of the TV to watch the Mickey Mouse Club so it was easy to do.) I planned to flush it right after dinner. It was an old trick that had worked for me many times before. This time, however, my father was spending too much time in the john and my pocket was bulging. I panicked and and tossed it into the top shelf of my parents' bedroom closet. Two years later my mother found it. She called me into the room and asked me what it was. I said, "It looks like spinach." "How did it get there?" she asked. I answered, "Maybe it was there when we moved in." She laughed and I got off scot free. But I wouldn't hesitate to do that again if my wife ever made me spinach.

Spinach
    I personally gag on cooked spinach but happily stuff two large fitsfulls in my vitamix. It ends up green but with the fruit combination you cannot taste the spinach. Honest. And spinach is incredibly good for you. I toss in things like carrots, broccoli, celery etc. In with my fruit. You will love this machine. I Google vitamix recipes and there is a vitamix community on Facebook.
  • MikeK703
    rae_rae said:

Spinach
    I personally gag on cooked spinach but happily stuff two large fitsfulls in my vitamix. It ends up green but with the fruit combination you cannot taste the spinach. Honest. And spinach is incredibly good for you. I toss in things like carrots, broccoli, celery etc. In with my fruit. You will love this machine. I Google vitamix recipes and there is a vitamix community on Facebook.

Organic?
    Do you guys use organic fruit and vegetables? Or just the average supermarket variety? The former is very expensive and the latter is inundated with pesticides and other chemicals, I'm sure.
  • rae_rae
    rae_rae Member Posts: 300 Member
    MikeK703 said:

Organic?
    Do you guys use organic fruit and vegetables? Or just the average supermarket variety? The former is very expensive and the latter is inundated with pesticides and other chemicals, I'm sure.

I don't have a preference.
    I don't have a preference. Organic is expensive. As it is, buying the vast amount of produce that I consume now gets expensive but worth it. I've lost 13 pounds and find that I make a conscious effort to eat better whether at home or at a restaurant.
  • Texas_wedge
    rae_rae said:

I don't have a preference.
    I don't have a preference. Organic is expensive. As it is, buying the vast amount of produce that I consume now gets expensive but worth it. I've lost 13 pounds and find that I make a conscious effort to eat better whether at home or at a restaurant.

Spinach
    What a great story Mike.

It takes all sorts - I eat spinach almost every day. I love it. I eat it in smoothies, I eat it raw, in salads or on its own and I cook it a couple of times a week, usually with fillet steak and french fries. It's an excellent food and it turns any smoothie green, no matter what else is in it, even if you don't use much, and green is my favourite colour.

Well done on the weight loss Rae - always assuming you are better off a bit lighter. In the UK, 'organic' has been a good selling point though there's been a bit of a backlash of cynicism as to what it sometimes amounts to, after the odd expose. Is that the same Statesside? Must agree that the agri-chemicals problem is a real one.
  • foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member

Spinach
    What a great story Mike.

It takes all sorts - I eat spinach almost every day. I love it. I eat it in smoothies, I eat it raw, in salads or on its own and I cook it a couple of times a week, usually with fillet steak and french fries. It's an excellent food and it turns any smoothie green, no matter what else is in it, even if you don't use much, and green is my favourite colour.

Well done on the weight loss Rae - always assuming you are better off a bit lighter. In the UK, 'organic' has been a good selling point though there's been a bit of a backlash of cynicism as to what it sometimes amounts to, after the odd expose. Is that the same Statesside? Must agree that the agri-chemicals problem is a real one.

V8
    I can drink a ton of V8 every day. Plus I love my veggies. Can't get enough brocolli or cauliflower. Or Corn or beats, ( love beats) or......love it all. To bad I like hamburgers and pizza too. As a matter of fact, I like almost everything. It is a good thing I push myself to exercise or I would be a beach ball.
  • MikeK703
    foxhd said:

V8
    I can drink a ton of V8 every day. Plus I love my veggies. Can't get enough brocolli or cauliflower. Or Corn or beats, ( love beats) or......love it all. To bad I like hamburgers and pizza too. As a matter of fact, I like almost everything. It is a good thing I push myself to exercise or I would be a beach ball.

V8
    Watch out for that sodium, Fox! I drink a glass of low-sodium V8 every day. It took me a while to get used to the taste of vegetable juice but I don't mind it so much any more. I chug-a-lug it, of course, after putting a load of pepper in it.
  • MikeK703

Spinach
    What a great story Mike.

Spinach
    Tex,
    All that spinach! You and Popeye! What's wrong with your taste buds? One time my wife and I and some other couples got invited to somebody's house after church to have "pie." I went gladly. When I got there, I found out their idea of "pie" was spinach quiche. I tried to convince my wife to eat my portion as well as hers but she refused. I took a bite, gagged, spit it out in the bathroom and meekly returned it to the hostess. Probably one of the most embarrassing moments in my life. Even the fear of being rude didn't stop me. That's how much I hate spinach.
  • foxhd
    MikeK703 said:

Spinach
    Tex,
    All that spinach! You and Popeye! What's wrong with your taste buds? One time my wife and I and some other couples got invited to somebody's house after church to have "pie." I went gladly. When I got there, I found out their idea of "pie" was spinach quiche. I tried to convince my wife to eat my portion as well as hers but she refused. I took a bite, gagged, spit it out in the bathroom and meekly returned it to the hostess. Probably one of the most embarrassing moments in my life. Even the fear of being rude didn't stop me. That's how much I hate spinach.

spinach
    Yum! Love spinach...Mike you are right about the sodium. After last weeks good news on my response to the MDX, I need to work on doing many things healthier.
  • livealive
    livealive Member Posts: 127
    foxhd said:

spinach
    Yum! Love spinach...Mike you are right about the sodium. After last weeks good news on my response to the MDX, I need to work on doing many things healthier.

So yes, I do some fruits, mostly some berries in the morning, and sometimes my wife brings me papaya, etc. I don't think I eat as health as the rest of you or make that much of an effort. (I had a 2 scoops of Gelato today, still feeling guilty). I have an old juicer, 15 years old, continues to serve the purpose, so unless I hear otherwise, I am not buying the Vita thing. TW has already endorsed I eat OK, I will take hid word for it and hope the Gelato doesn't do any harm.

I think all of us should have garlic and turmeric in the kitchen. Google for recipes, or I can write some here - Dal (Lentils, legumes), chic-peas, black-eyed peas, "kidney" beans (no pun intended).

Try some "chana masala", heat 1 tbsl olive oil, add diced onions, chopped garlic, chopped ginger, add a green chili or 2, cook until brown, add turmeric, cumin, some salt, add water (don't ask me quantities, I never measure), now add the pre-soaked chic peas (soak overnight), pressure cook, it's what my wife and mother do.

Spinach recipe, if you'll know what paneer is - look for Paalak Paneer (spinach and cubes of cottage cheese).

Fox, from where you were to where you are, the sodium thing should be a cake-walk, minus the sugar, fat, cream, and sodium. "Maybe" try one meal completely without salt, the next time you will appreciate less salt. I have cut back the salt, now restaurant food is too salty, before I used to add salt to their food.

Fox / TW, your spirit is an inspiration. I have felt a sense of community here, and I am grateful for the help you'll provide.

Thanks.
  • Texas_wedge
    livealive said:

So yes, I do some fruits, mostly some berries in the morning, and sometimes my wife brings me papaya, etc. I don't think I eat as health as the rest of you or make that much of an effort. (I had a 2 scoops of Gelato today, still feeling guilty). I have an old juicer, 15 years old, continues to serve the purpose, so unless I hear otherwise, I am not buying the Vita thing. TW has already endorsed I eat OK, I will take hid word for it and hope the Gelato doesn't do any harm.

I think all of us should have garlic and turmeric in the kitchen. Google for recipes, or I can write some here - Dal (Lentils, legumes), chic-peas, black-eyed peas, "kidney" beans (no pun intended).

Try some "chana masala", heat 1 tbsl olive oil, add diced onions, chopped garlic, chopped ginger, add a green chili or 2, cook until brown, add turmeric, cumin, some salt, add water (don't ask me quantities, I never measure), now add the pre-soaked chic peas (soak overnight), pressure cook, it's what my wife and mother do.

Spinach recipe, if you'll know what paneer is - look for Paalak Paneer (spinach and cubes of cottage cheese).

Fox, from where you were to where you are, the sodium thing should be a cake-walk, minus the sugar, fat, cream, and sodium. "Maybe" try one meal completely without salt, the next time you will appreciate less salt. I have cut back the salt, now restaurant food is too salty, before I used to add salt to their food.

Fox / TW, your spirit is an inspiration. I have felt a sense of community here, and I am grateful for the help you'll provide.

Thanks.

Greens
    I'm relieved that Mike has cleared up a point for me - I'd assumed that the V8 Fox guzzles was a brand of engine oil.

Mike, I'm guessing you're not a brassica fan either, on taste grounds. I can't get enough broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, raw cabbage, kale, spring greens, etc etc and I'd jump at a spinach or a broccoli quiche anytime, but then I'm a bit like Fox, a natural born omnivore, although I draw the line at things like peanut butter - how anyone could even put anything so revolting in their mouth beats me. (I presume it's also responsible for a lot of cases of sensitivity leading to anaphylactic shock.)

Raj, thanks for the recipe which I may try sometime. Two favourite dishes of mine are saag aloo and saag gosht (the latter of which obviously you wouldn't eat). Two of the places we like to eat at in Edinburgh are Indian vegetarian restaurants.

When you opt for a low salt diet it's a bit restricting on where you can eat out because you realise with horror how much salt so many restaurants put in their dishes.

What is Gelato?
  • garym
    garym Member Posts: 1,647

Greens
    I'm relieved that Mike has cleared up a point for me - I'd assumed that the V8 Fox guzzles was a brand of engine oil.

Mike, I'm guessing you're not a brassica fan either, on taste grounds. I can't get enough broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, raw cabbage, kale, spring greens, etc etc and I'd jump at a spinach or a broccoli quiche anytime, but then I'm a bit like Fox, a natural born omnivore, although I draw the line at things like peanut butter - how anyone could even put anything so revolting in their mouth beats me. (I presume it's also responsible for a lot of cases of sensitivity leading to anaphylactic shock.)

Raj, thanks for the recipe which I may try sometime. Two favourite dishes of mine are saag aloo and saag gosht (the latter of which obviously you wouldn't eat). Two of the places we like to eat at in Edinburgh are Indian vegetarian restaurants.

When you opt for a low salt diet it's a bit restricting on where you can eat out because you realise with horror how much salt so many restaurants put in their dishes.

What is Gelato?

Be careful...
    I believe I would have starved to death by now if not for peanut butter, so thems fightin' words...try some in a smoothie sometime, might change your mind.
  • MikeK703
    garym said:

Be careful...
    I believe I would have starved to death by now if not for peanut butter, so thems fightin' words...try some in a smoothie sometime, might change your mind.

Peanut butter
    Love peanut butter. Have for decades. A big source of protein for me.
  • Texas_wedge
    MikeK703 said:

Peanut butter
    Love peanut butter. Have for decades. A big source of protein for me.

?
    I don't know what to say - happens occasionally :)
  • foxhd

?
    I don't know what to say - happens occasionally :)

peanut butter
    I can honestly say that I am eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich at this very moment.
    Motor oil!..I might try that. Is it sodium free? And yes. I WILL be much more careful with my diet. I tend to do things in trends. Since I am currently doing well and exercising pretty hard, cleaning up my diet is next. It gets so much easier in the summer for me.
  • MikeK703

Greens

What is Gelato?

Gelato
    Tex,
    Gelato is an Italian dessert dish, in the ice cream family, but lower in fat. Never tried it. I like the real stuff. You can't get enough broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, cabbage, etc? I wish I had your taste buds. I know that stuff is great for you, but the thought of them makes me gag. I'm hoping the Vitamix will help control that reflex action.
    Mike
  • Texas_wedge
    MikeK703 said:

Gelato
    Tex,
    Gelato is an Italian dessert dish, in the ice cream family, but lower in fat. Never tried it. I like the real stuff. You can't get enough broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, cabbage, etc? I wish I had your taste buds. I know that stuff is great for you, but the thought of them makes me gag. I'm hoping the Vitamix will help control that reflex action.
    Mike

Vitamix
    Thanks for the info Mike. I must say i like 'the real stuff'. I hate the sort of very strongly flavoured sorbets and water ices popular in Europe. Fortunately in Scotland we have a great tradition of Italo-Scots fish and chip shops and ice-cream parlours. Locally we have a family who have both in adjacent premises with a very inventive spectrum of flavours of the real stuff.

The Vitamix will do the job for you and you'll find ways of packing in the good veggies in a palatable way with fruits, nuts and seeds if you choose to. By the way, you may not know that you can also use it to make your own ice-cream. How about a lovely green spinach ice-cream?