post surgery xeloda?

fida
fida Member Posts: 1
my husband (37) just started his post surgery chemo. he had resection & temp. illeostomy.
the results after surgery were good (T3N0M0) and an almost complete response to treatmnet with 2-3 found dead cancer cells and nothing in lymph nodes. our onc decided that he will give him around 5 months of chemo. initially before surgery he had decided to give him the FolFoX mix but after surgery he decided to go for xeloda,
hopefully side effects will be less! and probably that is why we did not seek a second opinion, did anyone try this? should we have stuck with folfox???

Comments

• herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Xeloda
    After my surgery (a month 1/2 later) I started on Xeloda w/avastin. I stopped the Xeloda after 6 months, still doing Avastin (having a two month break at the moment). Seems to have worked fine. Had a rising CEA for a couple of months, then went back down and all seems well.
    (year and 3 months post surgery to date).
    Winter Marie
  • LilBitaWitch
    LilBitaWitch Member Posts: 10
    I have been on xeloda since
    I have been on xeloda since Oct '11, I would much rather have the side effects from it than the folfox, this is my 3rd time around with genetic colon cancer. Some of the side effects may not show up until about the 3 month mark. Dry mouth, sore throat, dry skin on hands & feet or some redness, acne & loss of appetite the week I am on pills. I do not get sick as long as I eat something and take pills within 30 min, if you wait longer might feel a little sick but for the most part do not get sick. Just be sure to read the info that comes with the meds it is very informative.