♥ ~ Did All Of You Pink Sisters Have An Ultrasound Guided Core Needle Biopsy? ~ ♥

2»

Comments

• This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

I have had many biopsies,
    I have had many biopsies, wire localization. excision, stereotactic and MRI guided biopsies. I have been to OR at last 15 times in as many years. (not all biopsies) but I think they kinda knwo me there.
    BTW I agree Traci benign enough said!
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    mom62 said:

Second Time
    I had a core biopsy for my second cancer. The first was found with mammogram, after I found difference in breast.

Terry

I had one that confirmed
    I had one that confirmed that I had bc too. I thought this was pretty standard anymore, is it?

Leeza
  • jendrey
    jendrey Member Posts: 377
    carkris said:

I have had many biopsies,
    I have had many biopsies, wire localization. excision, stereotactic and MRI guided biopsies. I have been to OR at last 15 times in as many years. (not all biopsies) but I think they kinda knwo me there.
    BTW I agree Traci benign enough said!

I'm not even sure what that is exactly!
    Nope. Had a biopsy where they numbed me up and I never felt a thing. Doesn't sound too good this ultrasound guided core needle type of biopsy. And OMG wire localization? I gotta' go Google that particular feature...just to reinforce to myself how fortunate that I didn't have that. Because that sounds just plain scary.

(((Hugs)))
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    kit kat said:

I just had one done Friday,
    I just had one done Friday, after double mas, chemo, Check up found a "THING" in my right limp node. Waiting for the bad news .

I had this to confirm that I
    I had this to confirm that I had bc. It didn't hurt, or, it didn't hurt me anyway. I'm glad I had it done as otherwise you have surgery and I wouldn't want that unnecessarily.

Jan
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    UGH worst day
    I had the untrasound guided core needle biopsy and I remeber spending an hr. in the bathroom before the procedure. I also remember shaking on the table - they had to get me blankets to keep me warm, because I was so cold from the nerves. The guy who did it was EXCELLENT. He made me laugh (said the reason he took long was because he was learning how to do them from a book before walking in lol). It really didn't hurt much, and I was surprised after reading nightmare stories. But it was a very bad mental day for me. And yes, that confirmed my dx. He took 5 samples. All came back with c. UGH
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

UGH worst day
    I had the untrasound guided core needle biopsy and I remeber spending an hr. in the bathroom before the procedure. I also remember shaking on the table - they had to get me blankets to keep me warm, because I was so cold from the nerves. The guy who did it was EXCELLENT. He made me laugh (said the reason he took long was because he was learning how to do them from a book before walking in lol). It really didn't hurt much, and I was surprised after reading nightmare stories. But it was a very bad mental day for me. And yes, that confirmed my dx. He took 5 samples. All came back with c. UGH

wire localization sounds
    wire localization sounds worse than it is. They numbed the area, then smashed you in the mammo machine then stuck a wire in where the area of concern is. so the surgeon can removed it. So it points to the area of interest. The core biopsies are the newest and better. Not sure if they do the wire thing anymore. I have been at this since 1994.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    mamolady said:

It also depends on what
    It also depends on what imaging better appreciates the tumor. Mine were only seen in the ultra sound so stereotactic was not an option. Prior to BC I had a stereotactic biopsy for calcifications. Some women have a needle localization (with a mammo unit or ultrasound) in order to have the tumor biopsied surgically. They also use the needle loc for lumpectomies.
    In some cases it depends on if the Radiology department is equipped to do biopsies or if they have to be done in the OR. One of the hospitals I worked at only did the biopsies in the OR. Kaiser does alot in the Radiology department.

Cindy

I had a mammo and an
    I had a mammo and an ultrasound and then had the needle biopsy.
  • crselby
    crselby Member Posts: 441 Member
    Who had an ultrasound guided needle biopsy? Not me, but close.
    My screening mammo found suspicious calcifications, as did the diagnostic mammo done a month later. To the poster whose doc joked about reading the manual to learn how to do it... my doc WAS learning how to use the gadget that dispensed the 'clips' he left behind, they were a new kind. The manufacturer's rep was in the room, unbeknownst to me, until I heard her voice. I was SOOO mad. It hurt at times AND the diagnosis was cancer, to boot! Ugh.

Next step was the MRI guided biopsies on two areas of same breast. Left me with a totally purple breast (and my breasts are big) that looked like an eggplant hanging from my chest! Two weeks later my surgeon was impressed by it! They hurt like crazy when being done, despite the lidocaine injections, externally and internally. Lucky me.

Then, an hour before the lumpectomy, the surgeon did her wire localization of the area while my breast was squeezed through the hole in the table. I bled like crazy. Then they had to do a mammo to see if the wire was in the right place. The techs had a heck of a time keeping the blood cleared away while they squeezed my breast with the wire in it. Do you think THAT hurt? Oh yeh!

I was so glad to have the lumpectomy because it meant the needles and wires being stuck into my breast would be over! However, the type of radiation I chose meant I had to have 45 (a record for the rad onc) needles inserted THROUGH my breast, around the cavity. Then catheters were slipped over each needle and through my breast, then the needles were withdrawn. Ugh. I wore those catheters for 9 days. Gruesome but short and effective radiation! My avatar shows me and the nurse the day they were removed.

Now, because of a lingering seroma, the mammos, even 3 years later, hurt when they squeeze that spot. I don't complain because it can't be helped, but the techs always apologize when they see me grit my teeth. Sometimes there is a tear that escapes my eye. BUT, I have always received only good news in these 3 years, so.... I thank my lucky stars.
    ~~Connie~~
  • mattav
    mattav Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I was diag after having
    Yes, I was diag after having the biopsy. It was so scary to have it done. I went for my routine mammo & they called me back for more films a day later. Said they "forgot to take some views". I had no clue they saw something til I went a week later. They said they saw "calcifications" & I would need to see a surgeon for a biopsy to clarify if it is cancerous or not. I never thought anything would be wrong, because I had no lumps or pain or anything. I thought they would say something after the biopsy, but they didn't. I was shocked the next day when the doctor called me to tell me I had bc.

It has been only 8 months since the diagnosis, 6 months since I had my lumpectomy, & 3 months since I finished radiation. I am still recovering emotionally and financially from this, but my faith is helping me get thru this.