OT some good reads

CypressCynthia
CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
Many of you know that, besides being a NP, I love to read fiction. Actually, I received a BA in English lit, then earned BSN and MSN. I love both fields.

Anyway, I love to share reads, so if anyone has any good fiction to recommend, I would love it.

Here are some books that I recently enjoyed:

Salvage the Bones by Ward--winner of National Book Award and impossibly beautiful prose about brutal poverty. Not for everyone, but WOW what an accomplishment!

The Hunger Games by Collins--fluff but fun fluff :-)

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Stein--we actually listened to this one on tape. A 10 hanky book in which the narrator is the loyal family dog, Enzo. Enzo's owner, a car racer, has many trials to deal with such as a wife with cancer, evil in-laws, etc.

Any other suggestions Pinks?

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    PS
    I changed my picture so that you can see Katherine (daughter). She is the one on the right and that is me on the left.
  • aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member

PS
    I changed my picture so that you can see Katherine (daughter). She is the one on the right and that is me on the left.

That's it!!
    You are the fourth person this weekend to mention The Art of Racing in the Rain.
    When four people say, I read. No, I wouldn't jump off a bridge if everyone else was, Mom:)

You and your daughter are beautiful!!

xoxo
    Victoria
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    aisling8 said:

That's it!!
    You are the fourth person this weekend to mention The Art of Racing in the Rain.
    When four people say, I read. No, I wouldn't jump off a bridge if everyone else was, Mom:)

You and your daughter are beautiful!!

xoxo
    Victoria

Your daughter is beautiful
    Your daughter is beautiful and looks soooo much like you! I usually only read true stories or biography's but I will read this one.
    How can I not, if so many recommend it. Thanks!
    Hugs,
    Wanda
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

Your daughter is beautiful
    Your daughter is beautiful and looks soooo much like you! I usually only read true stories or biography's but I will read this one.
    How can I not, if so many recommend it. Thanks!
    Hugs,
    Wanda

I have the book, I have yet to crack it open ...
    I have the book on my night stand -- anxious and excited to read it.

Katherine is so beautiful, just like her look alike .. Mom.

Vicki Sam
  • mom62
    mom62 Member Posts: 604 Member
    Books
    Hi,

Your daughter is beautiful and so are you. I have read some good books. I'm in a book club. Here are a few you may like to try if you haven't already.

Unbroken (non-fiction)
    Hotel on the corner of Bitter and Sweet byJamie Ford
    The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (non-fiction)
    Don't Say A Word by Barbara Freethy
    Sarah's Key
    The Glass Castle (non-Fiction)
    Shanghi Girls
    Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

Just a few to start hope you find one you like.

Terry
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    mom62 said:

Books
    Hi,

Your daughter is beautiful and so are you. I have read some good books. I'm in a book club. Here are a few you may like to try if you haven't already.

Unbroken (non-fiction)
    Hotel on the corner of Bitter and Sweet byJamie Ford
    The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (non-fiction)
    Don't Say A Word by Barbara Freethy
    Sarah's Key
    The Glass Castle (non-Fiction)
    Shanghi Girls
    Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

Just a few to start hope you find one you like.

Terry

I am on the third hunger
    I am on the third hunger Games book I am loving them. My next is the Immortal life of Henrietta lacks. I did read the book Unorthodox about a girl in a strict Orthodox jewish sect in NY. gave me lots of insight.
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    My daughter's teacher read
    My daughter's teacher read The Hunger Games to the class...there were some good 5th grade discussions about Utopian societies. I read it, and the other two in the series as well...enjoyed them all. We'll go see the movie when it comes out.

We also read The Giver (another Utopian society), and saw a small but well done stage production of that.

Hugs,

Linda
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    VickiSam said:

I have the book, I have yet to crack it open ...
    I have the book on my night stand -- anxious and excited to read it.

Katherine is so beautiful, just like her look alike .. Mom.

Vicki Sam

I was given the book but
    I was given the book but haven't read it yet either. Hoping to very soon. Thanks for the suggestions.

Jan