infection at mastectomy site

I had done some extra physical labor Saturday so initially I put down to muscle strain some pain I felt Sunday morning. I ached ALL over my body so that made sense. As the day progressed I was FREEZING and just felt bad. I came home from church and decided to lay down for a while, took some tylenol about 3:30 and woke up at 5 pm. I felt bad enough that I didn't even take a shower and I went to bed about 8:30!

Some of you may understand (may?)-- I don't really look at the bi-lateral mastectomy site unnecessarily but I did yesterday and while I had thought it felt inflamed Sunday - and I really felt too tired to think - it WAS inflamed! My left site (what the heck do you call it???) is reddened, swollen, inflamed and tender. I called my GP and he wants me to come in today. The left side is where I have my port, but it is higher up - about 1 1/2 inches below my collar bone, and it looks fine. This is weird!!

Obviously, I should have more to report later this afternoon. I'm just wondering if this will mean I need to postpone my scheduled Herceptin infusion Thursday? I only have two left!!

Comments

• Jobi
    Jobi Member Posts: 211
    My experience
    I got an infection at the port site and it too was red, inflamed, tender and swollen. It took two rounds of Cipro for it to even start clearing it up. Even so, I was able to take my A/C drip without a problem. It was just a pain in the butt. I have been dabbing it with peroxide and keeping it covered since, because when my clothes rubbed against it, the wound kept reopening. I hope this helps!!!

Dorene
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Me too.
    I can relate. I contracted a staph infection on my lumpectomy incision. It was blazing, crimson RED! They prescribed some antibiotics, can't remember which one, and then I was okay to start chemo.

Best of luck with your recovery.
  • Melaniedoingwell
    Melaniedoingwell Member Posts: 80

Me too.
    I can relate. I contracted a staph infection on my lumpectomy incision. It was blazing, crimson RED! They prescribed some antibiotics, can't remember which one, and then I was okay to start chemo.

Best of luck with your recovery.

answer...
    Doctor diagnosed cellulitis. Probably same thing both of my respondents ended up with!! It is akin to a staph infection. My port site is fine, I have been prescribed antibiotics (and jump started them with an injection) and I have a follow up appointment Friday. Checked with onco and all is well to go ahead with my herceptin infusion. I have an appointment with my surgeon next Tuesday anyway. It's just that my surgery was a little OVER a year ago!! On the other hand - it is possible for anyone, anywhere to contract cellulitis just because. Great!!!

Well, after going through this past year - this is a piece of cake.

Thanks for your responses and concern!

Stay strong, ladies - we are totally awesome!!

Melanie
  • mom62
    mom62 Member Posts: 604 Member
    Biopsy
    Hi,

I've had many infections at my surgical sites. I had five surgeries that didn't heal and went on a KCI vacuum twice. It was awful, until they gave me intravenous antibiotics. I had to be on them for many weeks. A biopsy will determine what the infection is. I have had MRSA, Psudomonius (sp) and steptacocis (sp). I hope yours is a simple one. They are more common in people who have auto imuune difficiancy diseases. I have RA as well. Wishing you well with yours! Keep us posted. I'll say a prayer for you.

Terry
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598

answer...
    Doctor diagnosed cellulitis. Probably same thing both of my respondents ended up with!! It is akin to a staph infection. My port site is fine, I have been prescribed antibiotics (and jump started them with an injection) and I have a follow up appointment Friday. Checked with onco and all is well to go ahead with my herceptin infusion. I have an appointment with my surgeon next Tuesday anyway. It's just that my surgery was a little OVER a year ago!! On the other hand - it is possible for anyone, anywhere to contract cellulitis just because. Great!!!

Melanie

Glad you got in to see your
    Glad you got in to see your doctor Melanie and are started now on antibiotics. Others on here have had cellulitis and I am sure will post more info for you.

Good luck to you,

Lex
  • robang13
    robang13 Member Posts: 333

answer...

Melanie

Melanie,
    I was going to tell

Melanie,

I was going to tell you cellulitis. I have had 6 boughts of it since my surgery last March. Had a really bad infection right after surgery too. Keep an eye on it even after it clears up. It can become chronic, so if you ever feel this way again, make sure it hasn't come back. Also, make sure it is totally cleared up before you stop the antibiotics because it will come back after a few days. I hope you feel better soon and never have to deal with it again. Good luck to you!

Angela