My Mum

alliball
alliball Member Posts: 11
Hi
My mum has non small cell lung cancer, I believe they refer to her tumour as T4 so it's fairly serious. She has small deposits in her left lung and a large tumour in her right as well as deposits in her chest and pelvic bone. She has just been told her 1st 2 chemo treatments have made no difference to the tumour and she has also found a lump in her right side which they are concerned about. Is anyone at a similar stage? I could do with something positive. She is having a scan on Monday to check the lump and will get results on Weds with hopefully a new course of action.

Comments

• So sorry you have to go through this...
    My Mom had a somewhat similar situation as well...all had shrunk, but 1 was on carboplatin/alimta, zameta for bones, b12 shots and prescription Folic acid as well. New TX was Taxotere.

Question did Mom have the test done EGFR and or ALK done it will help to tell what chemo is compatible with tumor also to see if she could go on any trials as well?

Did you guys have a 2nd opinion or consider one?

A friend of mine on this site shared with me another site to get information on the chemo's www.chemocare.com so you get info on that as well and of course we are always here as well!

Good Luck and God Bless
    Mom DX 1/3/11 NSCLC Adeno stage 4
    1. carbo/alimta-1 grew, the rest shrunk.
    2.Taxotere-too many side effects and some growth.
    3.Gemzar-growth again...
    4. currently taking Navelbine-scans showed mm growth, but mom is doing amazing...no more 02 or wheelchair and eating :)
  • alliball

So sorry you have to go through this...
    My Mom had a somewhat similar situation as well...all had shrunk, but 1 was on carboplatin/alimta, zameta for bones, b12 shots and prescription Folic acid as well. New TX was Taxotere.

Question did Mom have the test done EGFR and or ALK done it will help to tell what chemo is compatible with tumor also to see if she could go on any trials as well?

Did you guys have a 2nd opinion or consider one?

A friend of mine on this site shared with me another site to get information on the chemo's www.chemocare.com so you get info on that as well and of course we are always here as well!

Good Luck and God Bless
    Mom DX 1/3/11 NSCLC Adeno stage 4
    1. carbo/alimta-1 grew, the rest shrunk.
    2.Taxotere-too many side effects and some growth.
    3.Gemzar-growth again...
    4. currently taking Navelbine-scans showed mm growth, but mom is doing amazing...no more 02 or wheelchair and eating :)

Update
    Hi SiS, Mum saw doc yesterday & her new lump was on original scan but was only size of a pin head, it has grown alot! She has some new nodes in her chest but original tumour has not grown (or shrunk). She's having radiotherapy on her side & starting new chemo my tablet in 2 weeks as she needs to regain strength. She's in hospital tomorrow as blood results show too much calcium so she's having something to counteract that. There's always something with this disease! Anyway, we're all seeing the new treatment as a positive & feel much easier. Until yesterday we were all terrified they would stop treatment. Glad your mum is much improved, long may it continue!! Alli X
  • alliball said:

Update
    Hi SiS, Mum saw doc yesterday & her new lump was on original scan but was only size of a pin head, it has grown alot! She has some new nodes in her chest but original tumour has not grown (or shrunk). She's having radiotherapy on her side & starting new chemo my tablet in 2 weeks as she needs to regain strength. She's in hospital tomorrow as blood results show too much calcium so she's having something to counteract that. There's always something with this disease! Anyway, we're all seeing the new treatment as a positive & feel much easier. Until yesterday we were all terrified they would stop treatment. Glad your mum is much improved, long may it continue!! Alli X

Continue to stay positive
    and have a tight support group like it sounds like you do already. I'm glad there's a plan for Mom!
    Has the Doc's tested her ALK/EGRF to see what chemo is compatable with her tumors and if she could go on any trials etc...
    A bit of advise go get a small note pad to keep in your purse so every time you go to any doc's you could write down anything that is important and your questions as well, but remember to check off the questions as they have been answered I have found you ask the questions and they beat around the answer that I'm still confused so re ask the question til you understand and than check it off and get copies of everything and keep it in a folder, because you can't remember it all and you just may need them.

Good Luck to you and your Mom
    God Bless
  • alliball

Continue to stay positive
    and have a tight support group like it sounds like you do already. I'm glad there's a plan for Mom!
    Has the Doc's tested her ALK/EGRF to see what chemo is compatable with her tumors and if she could go on any trials etc...
    A bit of advise go get a small note pad to keep in your purse so every time you go to any doc's you could write down anything that is important and your questions as well, but remember to check off the questions as they have been answered I have found you ask the questions and they beat around the answer that I'm still confused so re ask the question til you understand and than check it off and get copies of everything and keep it in a folder, because you can't remember it all and you just may need them.

Good Luck to you and your Mom
    God Bless

Update and Offload
    Hi, I'm really struggling at the moment, my Mum is very weak & breathing is getting worse. She was only diagnosed Nov but the change in her in huge. She had radiotherapy on a lump on her side last week but feels this has made no difference. Her confidence has been shattered by lack of positive results, it seems every time she has an appointment there is more bad news. We're all struggling to cope, my Dad is her main carer & I know he's terrified of losing her, they've been married almost 44 years. Mum has so much to live for & until Nov was leading a full & happy life. It breaks my heart seeing my amazing mum, my best friend suffer so much. I want to make it ok for her & I'm desperate for her to be well & to enjoy my 2 daughters like I know she would love to. This is the worst time of our lives, I can't stop crying when I think we may lose her and being positive is becoming harder. It's so hard to believe the Mum I now visit is the same vibrant, strong woman I was on holiday with 6 months ago, how does this cancer take hold so quickly. I'm really scared. Sorry to sound so emotional, but I have 2 daughters aged almost 3 and 8 months old so I have to hold it together every day. Sometimes it just gets too much to handle. I know it's worse for my Mum and Dad so I don't let them know how I'm feeling either, it wouldn't be fair. How are things with your Mom?