latest dilemma

rae_rae
rae_rae Member Posts: 300 Member
So...I've kept this to myself believing it would go away by now, and hopefully it's nothing. On Wednesday morning while in the shower I found a pea sized lump in my armpit. It's hard, not really painful unless I push on it, and even then its pretty insignificant pain. I hope it's nothing but I can't stop wondering if it is. I can't find anything on kc mets to that area- but its often a symptom of breast cancer.

Has anyone heard of kc mets to armpit nodes? Good thing is I have my oncologist appt on Wednesday.

Rae

Comments

• Texas_wedge
    Texas_wedge Member Posts: 2,798
    Wondering
    Wondering is in order but worrying won't help. A quick look around suggests that it's unlikely to be due to RCC. One site worth a look is at MedlinePlus, which I imagine you may have already looked at at

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003099.htm

Worrying would be pointless, especially since you have an appointment on Wednesday [snap!]. I'm guessing you don't have a major new problem Rae and hoping it's nothing much at all. In our situation we all get jumpy, frequently without due cause. Wednesday isn't long to wait for, I trust, re-assurance and we're well used to waiting, aren't we?
  • DogRescuer
    DogRescuer Member Posts: 52 Member

Wondering
    Wondering is in order but worrying won't help. A quick look around suggests that it's unlikely to be due to RCC. One site worth a look is at MedlinePlus, which I imagine you may have already looked at at

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003099.htm

Worrying would be pointless, especially since you have an appointment on Wednesday [snap!]. I'm guessing you don't have a major new problem Rae and hoping it's nothing much at all. In our situation we all get jumpy, frequently without due cause. Wednesday isn't long to wait for, I trust, re-assurance and we're well used to waiting, aren't we?

Most likely nothing to worry about
    I had breast cancer (surgery + chemo) in 2009 and was just diagnosed with kidney cancer. I'm scheduled to have my left kidney removed this Monday.

Having had breast cancer and doing the research I've seen no evidence that one metasticizes to the other. Also, 80% of lumps in the breast are found to be benign. And it seems unusual that the lymph node would be more noticable than a lump in the breast. Maybe it's just an infection that caused it to enlarge.

Try not to worry too much. Let us know how your appt goes.
  • foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member

Most likely nothing to worry about
    I had breast cancer (surgery + chemo) in 2009 and was just diagnosed with kidney cancer. I'm scheduled to have my left kidney removed this Monday.

Having had breast cancer and doing the research I've seen no evidence that one metasticizes to the other. Also, 80% of lumps in the breast are found to be benign. And it seems unusual that the lymph node would be more noticable than a lump in the breast. Maybe it's just an infection that caused it to enlarge.

Try not to worry too much. Let us know how your appt goes.

? worry
    Until you get an answer from your Dr., lets hope that Larry the cable guy has it right. It's only a milk dud. Here's hoping it's nothing.
  • rae_rae
    foxhd said:

? worry
    Until you get an answer from your Dr., lets hope that Larry the cable guy has it right. It's only a milk dud. Here's hoping it's nothing.

Thanks everyone,
    Will hope for the milkdud- but if it is, I'm not sharing!
  • Texas_wedge
    rae_rae said:

Thanks everyone,
    Will hope for the milkdud- but if it is, I'm not sharing!

Lumping it
    When I replied to you yesterday, Rae, I remarked that we all get jumpy. It didn't occur to me to mention that I had my dentist squeeze me in on Thursday to look at a lump in my mouth. I'd had my GP put me on an antibiotic, which had been reluctant to shift it, so I wanted reassurance that it wasn't something nasty from the RCC. It seemed unlikely but since I was nearby (practice is 80 miles from my home) I thought it made sense. In any event, I reasoned, tidying up my mouth would be timely in case I find myself on further treatment soon. It turns out that it was merely an abscess so I'm trekking back there for a root treatment on Tuesday, before my CT (and contrast!) scan on Wednesday. A bad run, after being thumped 5 & 4 in winter league today - can't get much worse than that surely? :-)

I'll be thinking of you on Wednesday when I'm being scanned, hoping your oncologist has good news for you, and you can wish me better luck with the contrast than you had. I trust you're fully recovered from that hiccup and going to let them know about it to avoid going through it next time.
  • rae_rae

Lumping it
    When I replied to you yesterday, Rae, I remarked that we all get jumpy. It didn't occur to me to mention that I had my dentist squeeze me in on Thursday to look at a lump in my mouth. I'd had my GP put me on an antibiotic, which had been reluctant to shift it, so I wanted reassurance that it wasn't something nasty from the RCC. It seemed unlikely but since I was nearby (practice is 80 miles from my home) I thought it made sense. In any event, I reasoned, tidying up my mouth would be timely in case I find myself on further treatment soon. It turns out that it was merely an abscess so I'm trekking back there for a root treatment on Tuesday, before my CT (and contrast!) scan on Wednesday. A bad run, after being thumped 5 & 4 in winter league today - can't get much worse than that surely? :-)

I'll be thinking of you on Wednesday when I'm being scanned, hoping your oncologist has good news for you, and you can wish me better luck with the contrast than you had. I trust you're fully recovered from that hiccup and going to let them know about it to avoid going through it next time.

Lumps
    TW,

Good luck on your dentist appt and I hope your scan goes smoothly. It's sometimes hard not to wonder if every little ailment has something to do with cancer. Hopefully this lump will go away. They are forecasting a possible winter storm on Wednesday so my hope now is to be able to make my appt which is over 100 miles from home.

Rae
  • Minnesota Girl
    Minnesota Girl Member Posts: 119
    Maybe just an infection or swollen lymph gland
    I'm glad you have an appointment this week. I would totally be in your shoes. A few months ago I was driving to work and realized I had a sore, swollen spot under my chin. I turned the car around and drove straight to my primary doc's office. Turns out it was an infected salivary gland... I didn't even know that could happen!? So, I know it's hard not to worry about every little twitch. Let us know what you find out.
  • lbinmsp
    lbinmsp Member Posts: 266
    DANG
    I experienced those occasionally many years ago (PRE RCC). Each time it was just an infection but each time it scared me. Now, with MRCC, seems like every bump/lump/pain makes my eyes shoot wide and my pulse race! Glad you're going to be checked out soon. Let us know how things turn out.
  • garym
    garym Member Posts: 1,647
    rae_rae said:

Lumps
    TW,

Good luck on your dentist appt and I hope your scan goes smoothly. It's sometimes hard not to wonder if every little ailment has something to do with cancer. Hopefully this lump will go away. They are forecasting a possible winter storm on Wednesday so my hope now is to be able to make my appt which is over 100 miles from home.

Rae

Fellow Michigander...
    Rae,

Have 4 wheel drive, will travel...if you need a lift Wednesday just say the word and I'm there.

I mean it,

Gary
  • rae_rae
    garym said:

Fellow Michigander...
    Rae,

Have 4 wheel drive, will travel...if you need a lift Wednesday just say the word and I'm there.

I mean it,

Gary

Thanks!
    Thank you Gary. I have already called to cancel my appt and see if I can have labs and results with my Gp for now. I really appreciate th offer but with 1/4 inch or more of ice now in the forecast, I think it's best to stay put. No significant storms all winter until this week! I am going in to see my Gp in an hour at any rate for unrelated problems (due to the knee injury) and will have her look at my lump. I think it's best a little smaller today so that's a good sign.

I appreciate the offer of the ride- incredibly generous! You all are awesome. I love this forum!

Rae
  • garym
    rae_rae said:

Thanks!
    Thank you Gary. I have already called to cancel my appt and see if I can have labs and results with my Gp for now. I really appreciate th offer but with 1/4 inch or more of ice now in the forecast, I think it's best to stay put. No significant storms all winter until this week! I am going in to see my Gp in an hour at any rate for unrelated problems (due to the knee injury) and will have her look at my lump. I think it's best a little smaller today so that's a good sign.

I appreciate the offer of the ride- incredibly generous! You all are awesome. I love this forum!

Rae

The offer stands...
    Any time you need a hand just say the word. My mother would disown me if I didn't try to help.
  • rae_rae
    lbinmsp said:

DANG
    I experienced those occasionally many years ago (PRE RCC). Each time it was just an infection but each time it scared me. Now, with MRCC, seems like every bump/lump/pain makes my eyes shoot wide and my pulse race! Glad you're going to be checked out soon. Let us know how things turn out.

CT Scan results
    I saw my GP this morning about my back/knee problems (back problems arose after being on crutches for the knee injury -hahaha) and she got my CT results for me from the hospital. All is good - it showed my hematoma still at 4cm but the width went from 3.6cm to 2.5cm so it is slowly shrinking still. Seems like it's going to be with me for awhile since it's already been 16 months since my surgery. The only other thing to report was an abundance of scar tissue - but due to the pain I still have along my incision with movement, I think I already knew that.

The lump needs further evaluation so an ultrasound is being scheduled but again it could just be in infection in the lymph node. Other than that, I got a shot in the hip for my back and get to start PT(yay). I am aranging to have my labs up here later this week.

Will keep you posted on the lumpy armpit. And Gary, thanks again.
    Thanks,

Rae
  • Texas_wedge
    rae_rae said:

CT Scan results
    I saw my GP this morning about my back/knee problems (back problems arose after being on crutches for the knee injury -hahaha) and she got my CT results for me from the hospital. All is good - it showed my hematoma still at 4cm but the width went from 3.6cm to 2.5cm so it is slowly shrinking still. Seems like it's going to be with me for awhile since it's already been 16 months since my surgery. The only other thing to report was an abundance of scar tissue - but due to the pain I still have along my incision with movement, I think I already knew that.

The lump needs further evaluation so an ultrasound is being scheduled but again it could just be in infection in the lymph node. Other than that, I got a shot in the hip for my back and get to start PT(yay). I am aranging to have my labs up here later this week.

Will keep you posted on the lumpy armpit. And Gary, thanks again.
    Thanks,

Rae

CT scan results
    So glad to hear your news Rae - steady as she goes it seems. Your sense of humour is a valuable asset so it's good to see that fully intact. That bloke Gary sounds ok - the solidarity we have here is admirable isn't it! (Purely rhetorical question - no need to reply, though it's always good to hear from you.)
  • garym

CT scan results
    So glad to hear your news Rae - steady as she goes it seems. Your sense of humour is a valuable asset so it's good to see that fully intact. That bloke Gary sounds ok - the solidarity we have here is admirable isn't it! (Purely rhetorical question - no need to reply, though it's always good to hear from you.)

Bloke???
    Never been called a bloke before, kinda like it. I feel honored, thank you!
  • rae_rae
    garym said:

Bloke???
    Never been called a bloke before, kinda like it. I feel honored, thank you!

Lump update
    My diagnostic mammogram is tomorrow. My lump was gone as of last night (yay). I was due for my mammogram anyhow so I am keeping the appointment and will also have my lab work tomorrow. I also start PT tomorrow for my back and need either an X-ray or MRI because I was told my spine was crooked lol! It's so fun aging gracefully. I also had a job interview tonight so wish me luck.
  • icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    rae_rae said:

Lump update
    My diagnostic mammogram is tomorrow. My lump was gone as of last night (yay). I was due for my mammogram anyhow so I am keeping the appointment and will also have my lab work tomorrow. I also start PT tomorrow for my back and need either an X-ray or MRI because I was told my spine was crooked lol! It's so fun aging gracefully. I also had a job interview tonight so wish me luck.

rae_rae
    Good luck on the tests and job interview.

Icemantoo
  • garym
    icemantoo said:

rae_rae
    Good luck on the tests and job interview.

Icemantoo

Interview...
    Rae,

With all you've been through the interview should be a breeze. They'll probably be wondering how you can be so cool, calm, and collected.

Good luck,

Gary
  • Texas_wedge
    garym said:

Interview...
    Rae,

With all you've been through the interview should be a breeze. They'll probably be wondering how you can be so cool, calm, and collected.

Good luck,

Gary

Interview
    Another good luck wish, from Europe. In the golf field Rae, or sales? As Gary says, you have all the composure you could need and a positive attitude that's bulletproof.
  • rae_rae

Interview
    Another good luck wish, from Europe. In the golf field Rae, or sales? As Gary says, you have all the composure you could need and a positive attitude that's bulletproof.

Test Results
    My mammogram and ultrasound showed no signs of cancer or abnormalities - woo hoo, crossed that off my list! Thank you all for the support and prayers.

The interview is for sales, but not related to golf this time. It would be for an assisted living and memory care facility. Golf never really was my thing!!
  • Texas_wedge
    rae_rae said:

Test Results
    My mammogram and ultrasound showed no signs of cancer or abnormalities - woo hoo, crossed that off my list! Thank you all for the support and prayers.

The interview is for sales, but not related to golf this time. It would be for an assisted living and memory care facility. Golf never really was my thing!!

Golf and other risk factors
    Sounds an interesting job Rae, and one that you would do well too. You are reducing the risk factors - no Harley, not changed your name to Larry or Gar(r)y, now golf out of the way - I just worry about Michigan, maybe!

Golf never your thing? I wondered that myself today - about a 6-club wind, at times, at Carnoustie. On the winter layout 3rd ("Hogan's Alley") I shot a 13 after being 5 off the tee having blasted two massive hooks on to the fairway, the problem being it was the fairway on a different golf course!!

On the 18th I was about to play my second shot when the wind blew my mat and ball away down the fairway along with my 3-wood head-cover and my golf cart. I mentioned this to my GP this afternoon and he looked askance when I said 6-club wind (he's an ace golfer) until I told him what happened next:-

I put my second shot pin-high in the right semi. My pal then put his third into the Burn. The Barry Burn was running quite fast, being fairly full from recent rains, and I went over to help him rescue his ball with one of the enormously long and heavy all-metal ball-retrievers supplied by the Links Trust. As he was fishing we heard a big splash. My electric golf cart had been blown down the fairway and had nose-dived into the Burn just where Jean van de Velde went on his fabled fishing trip in the 1999 Open. Unfortunately it was a few feet deeper today and my trolley and large cart bag disappeared beneath the waves. It took us about ten minutes to fish it out, using two of the ball-retrievers like grappling hooks to pull the bag, which had separated from the cart, close enough to grab part of it. It was so heavy, full of water, it was a real struggle to haul it all the way up the stepped concrete banking (couldn't tip the water out earlier because that would have shed all my clubs into the Burn).

I thought I could redeem the round with a par after that and chipped close but just missed the putt. However, it was a good laugh and although my wallet and much else got a thorough soaking, it was easy to be philosophical. When held up by slower players I had tried to reach my GP and/or Urologist to get word of my scan results, so my iPhone was in my pocket and so was unscathed - lucky I didn't fall in the water while recovering my bag. Got the cart out too and, to my amazement, found the battery still functional.