DID ANYONE HEAR OF A DRUG CALLED PROLIA

HELP!!!!!

Did anyone hear of adrug called PROLIA? It's used in the treatment of bone loss in men with nonmestatic prostrate cancer. Today I was at my urologist & asked about a bone test since I'm on FIRMAGON over one year. He told me I didn't need a bone test since my PSA is on a steady decline. Currently PSA is 0.38---last month it was 0.43.
I didn't like what I read on the internet about Prolia & I'm somewhat scared to get the shot next month.
Won't calcium pills, diet & exercise do the same thing to help the bones? I feel good now & have zero problems with the bones.
I read the incidence of serious adverse events was VERY HIGH--34.6% in the Prolia group during clinical trials.
PlEASE respond if you know anything about this drug.

Cordially
RAD HOPEFUL

Comments

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,638 Member
    Denosumab drug
    RadHope

Congratulations on still another lower PSA.

I am surprise for your inquire on Prolia. I wonder who has recommended you the drug and why.
    This drug is a human monoclonal antibody group type (denosumab) medication used to fight bone metastasis. The typical denosumab used in prostate cancer care is Xgeva (similar to Prolia) but it is taken by guys with proven metastases.
    Your comment above may have been misunderstood by your doctor. I believe you were looking for a bone densitometry scan (DEXA) to check for osteoporosis not metastases.

Can you share more info on the reason behind you getting this drug?
    Have you gotten any image study showing bone metastases?

Hormonal treatment cause bone loss and we have to be vigilant for any; however, not all people are affected by HT. In my last DEXA at the 14th month of HT there were no alteration in regards to the previous results with osteopenia at -1.2(osteoporosis starts at -2.5). It may be that my diet is good enough to counter any effect. In any case, if needed, I would start taking a bisphosphonate similar to Fosamax than a denosumab type of drug.

Get the things straighten with your doctor before adventuring into Prolia.

I wish you luck in the continuing improvement.
    VGama
  • tarhoosier
    tarhoosier Member Posts: 195 Member
    Confusion
    I, too, am confused by this conversation as you relate it. If the doctor considers a bone "test" unnecessary why would he wish to prescribe a bone treatment? Please confirm the details of your discussion and verify what the doctor considers necessary in your case.
    I take Vitamin D @ 13000 i. u. per day and am tested for D monthly. This, in addition to active life and good luck, keep my bone loss to the -1.0 level and I am content with that without other drugs.
    You are quite right to be concerned about a drug that is as strong as Denosumab (Prolia/Xgeva). It has side effects, some quite serious. I applaud your effort to educate yourself and learn about potential treatments. Keep asking and learning.
  • RADIATION HOPEFUL
    RADIATION HOPEFUL Member Posts: 218

Confusion
    I, too, am confused by this conversation as you relate it. If the doctor considers a bone "test" unnecessary why would he wish to prescribe a bone treatment? Please confirm the details of your discussion and verify what the doctor considers necessary in your case.
    I take Vitamin D @ 13000 i. u. per day and am tested for D monthly. This, in addition to active life and good luck, keep my bone loss to the -1.0 level and I am content with that without other drugs.
    You are quite right to be concerned about a drug that is as strong as Denosumab (Prolia/Xgeva). It has side effects, some quite serious. I applaud your effort to educate yourself and learn about potential treatments. Keep asking and learning.

BONE DRUG
    VGAMA & TARHOOSIER
    I DO NOT HAVE ANY SIGNS OF MESTATIC BONE ISSUES.CONFirmed via MRI SCANS. ALL I Wanted was a check on the bone density & I DID emphasize this.
    WHY the doctor is recommending this I don't know other than to tell me it will protect the bones.

IDO NOT WISH TO TAKE THIS DRUG, especially after reading the replies & what I read on the DRUGS.COM site.

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES, I appreciate it.

RAD HOPEFUL
  • VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,638 Member

BONE DRUG
    VGAMA & TARHOOSIER
    I DO NOT HAVE ANY SIGNS OF MESTATIC BONE ISSUES.CONFirmed via MRI SCANS. ALL I Wanted was a check on the bone density & I DID emphasize this.
    WHY the doctor is recommending this I don't know other than to tell me it will protect the bones.

IDO NOT WISH TO TAKE THIS DRUG, especially after reading the replies & what I read on the DRUGS.COM site.

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES, I appreciate it.

RAD HOPEFUL

Meet your doctor to get things clear.
    RadHope

This is not the first time that your care givers have shown signs of incompetence. Either your doctor is hiding information on your initial diagnosis, or it is trying to get you into a trial for Prolia, or it has misunderstood your progressive treatment. I hope for the later.

I recommend you to get him for a consultation and get things straighten, and that you give up with Prolia.

If your doctor does not understand the need in getting the test, you can always get a DEXA by yourself at another clinic. This test is routinely done by every woman for testing menopause effects and symptoms. They are not expensive and will give you the peace of mind with regards to the hormonal treatment effects.
    Just request for a bone density scan at the two typical places; the spine (vertebrae), and the hips (femoral neck). This is done "on-the-fly" in 5 minutes with no need of any previous preparations (inquire with your wife or at another clinic by phone).

If required in future due to progressive cancer, you can take a denosumab but it should be done at the right time and with due care.

Enjoy your continuous down trend in the PSA and celebrate when it plateaus.

Regards.
    VGama
  • RADIATION HOPEFUL
    RADIATION HOPEFUL Member Posts: 218

Meet your doctor to get things clear.
    RadHope

This is not the first time that your care givers have shown signs of incompetence. Either your doctor is hiding information on your initial diagnosis, or it is trying to get you into a trial for Prolia, or it has misunderstood your progressive treatment. I hope for the later.

I recommend you to get him for a consultation and get things straighten, and that you give up with Prolia.

If your doctor does not understand the need in getting the test, you can always get a DEXA by yourself at another clinic. This test is routinely done by every woman for testing menopause effects and symptoms. They are not expensive and will give you the peace of mind with regards to the hormonal treatment effects.
    Just request for a bone density scan at the two typical places; the spine (vertebrae), and the hips (femoral neck). This is done "on-the-fly" in 5 minutes with no need of any previous preparations (inquire with your wife or at another clinic by phone).

If required in future due to progressive cancer, you can take a denosumab but it should be done at the right time and with due care.

Enjoy your continuous down trend in the PSA and celebrate when it plateaus.

Regards.
    VGama

THANK YOU
    THANK YOU VGAMA
    THanks for the info, I will definitely question the doctor. I never see the doctor only the PA.---APPRECIATE your reply & I'm very HAPPY about the PSA going down.

RAD HOPEFUL