double mas. with tram flap reconstruction

classicpat
classicpat Member Posts: 21
edited February 2012 in Breast Cancer #1
ok, i have had the surgery to clamp off the veins in my stomach to have the tram flap reconstruction march 1st. the dr. said i could go back to work the next day after the surgery last wednesday if i felt like it .. well that was the catch..if i felt like it. i didnt but i'm back today monday. well now i'm really scared of this surgery. i thought i'd be back to work at least part time in 4 weeks but now i'm not so sure. i have a 12 yr old at home and i'm alone. i'm thinking mabe i should cancel or just get the mascetomay .. however u spell it. i'm just a little upset .. i really hurt and the dr only gave me loratab for pain. he expects me to take that when i get home from the big surgery too. is he nuts or am i just freakin. does anyone have any thing to tell me to make me feel better. i'm worried about my daughter.

Comments

• tufi000
    tufi000 Member Posts: 745 Member
    worked throught his
    The first week is the killer. I only took a week or so off from work though. Hid the drains and stuff under the baggy clothes, brought lots of bandage changes just in case. Get your head in the place to do it and you can, but don't feel bad if you can't.

It's really a bunch of choices with more to come. Take a day at a time and all the best to you.
  • kmikola2
    kmikola2 Member Posts: 29
    Sorry to be so ignorant
    Sorry to be so ignorant but...I had tram flap surgery about six years ago, and I had it done all at once. Now they do it in two steps? Has the surgery changed that much?
  • classicpat
    tufi000 said:

worked throught his
    The first week is the killer. I only took a week or so off from work though. Hid the drains and stuff under the baggy clothes, brought lots of bandage changes just in case. Get your head in the place to do it and you can, but don't feel bad if you can't.

It's really a bunch of choices with more to come. Take a day at a time and all the best to you.

u are my hero
    you are really someone to give me strength. as i read on the internet i read how terrible this is and you cant go back to work until 6-8 weeks. you are someone to be reckoned with. thank you for responding to me. i hope i am strong as you and that is something for me to say as i am always the strong one... just really freaked out after the 1st surgery to clamp off the veins. thanks again
  • classicpat
    kmikola2 said:

Sorry to be so ignorant
    Sorry to be so ignorant but...I had tram flap surgery about six years ago, and I had it done all at once. Now they do it in two steps? Has the surgery changed that much?

not ignorant at all
    i was surprised but also i was told if i felt like it i could go back to work the next day. well key words if i felt like it. i am not use to pain so mabe i'm being a baby. i havent been cut since the lymph nodes were removed 16 yrs ago and i had some trouble then but my husband was still with me and he actually did help me. i received a cut from hip bone to hip bone in a U shape. about an inch from ms. happy. was done last wednesday and it still hurts to get up, cough, and heaven help me if i sneeze. this surgery was to re-direct the blood flow. thanks for responding and if you have any insight for me please share. thanks again
  • tufi000
    tufi000 Member Posts: 745 Member

u are my hero
    you are really someone to give me strength. as i read on the internet i read how terrible this is and you cant go back to work until 6-8 weeks. you are someone to be reckoned with. thank you for responding to me. i hope i am strong as you and that is something for me to say as i am always the strong one... just really freaked out after the 1st surgery to clamp off the veins. thanks again

You are too kind.
    People often say I am strong too, but I sure do not feel like I am. It is really point of view and if I am going to decide to open my eyes another day, might as well live it.

About the 2 step process...they told me they do it that way to make sure the re-route of blood will work and feed the tissues they stick up there, otherwise you get a big fail. The most discomforting part was right after when they had to keep the room at over 80 degrees and little blankies on my chest to keep the new **** warm and stabilizing the newly rigged blood supply.

You sound like you will be fine with all of this. Just avoid looking at the BIG picture which can be overwhelming and look at the little things one at a time. Some of it is absurdly funny.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

not ignorant at all
    i was surprised but also i was told if i felt like it i could go back to work the next day. well key words if i felt like it. i am not use to pain so mabe i'm being a baby. i havent been cut since the lymph nodes were removed 16 yrs ago and i had some trouble then but my husband was still with me and he actually did help me. i received a cut from hip bone to hip bone in a U shape. about an inch from ms. happy. was done last wednesday and it still hurts to get up, cough, and heaven help me if i sneeze. this surgery was to re-direct the blood flow. thanks for responding and if you have any insight for me please share. thanks again

Hoping and praying that your
    Hoping and praying that your surgery went well and that you will recover quickly.

Hugs, Jan