final chemo - thoughts?

ajdebbs
ajdebbs Member Posts: 18
hello all!

i'm headed to my 6th and final TCH treatment tomorrow. i have a large stage 2 tumor (lobular) in one and a very small (ductal) in the other found after my treatment had started. I am also scheduled for a full mastectomy surgery on 3/20 and then 6 weeks of radiation after that. and then resconstructive after 6 months. Full schedule. treatments were every 3 weeks with the "H" part of it every week and Neulasta after each full treatment.

I havent really had anyone to talk to about it and found this forum and OMG can i say thank you because all your posts have really helped me alot. much appreciated and loved.

i am asking for thoughts or experience on the final treatment. at this point i'm just dealing with really sore fingers as well as numb toes, really super tired, sore muscles and really watery goopy eyes. this is on top of the normal constipation/diarrhea....blah blah blah.

is there anything else i have to look forward to in this one? anything at all is extremely helpful!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

God bless!

Ally

Comments

• Pam5
    Pam5 Member Posts: 232
    It's a Lot!
    Hi Ally,

It's a lot, isn't it. Sounds like you're doing pretty well considering what you've been through. The next 6 weeks will help you get your strength back, which is very important before you have surgery. Pay attention to what you eat - lots of fresh vegetables - carrots, celery, spinach, chard, kale, etc. Easy on the sugar, coffee, black tea and chocolate - I know, it sucks. I just finished chemo Jan 3rd and will have surgery March 6th. Did radiation on this breast 27 years ago so can't do it again, but am having a mastectomy so won't need to. I also have a lobular tumor- had one 27 years ago, had a ductal in other breast and mastectomy 17 years ago, and here I am back to the first with another lobular. Sorry I didn't have mastectomy the first tine. Oh well, hindsight and all that.

Stay on the boards and keep us posted.

Take care,
    Pam
  • ajdebbs
    Pam5 said:

It's a Lot!
    Hi Ally,

It's a lot, isn't it. Sounds like you're doing pretty well considering what you've been through. The next 6 weeks will help you get your strength back, which is very important before you have surgery. Pay attention to what you eat - lots of fresh vegetables - carrots, celery, spinach, chard, kale, etc. Easy on the sugar, coffee, black tea and chocolate - I know, it sucks. I just finished chemo Jan 3rd and will have surgery March 6th. Did radiation on this breast 27 years ago so can't do it again, but am having a mastectomy so won't need to. I also have a lobular tumor- had one 27 years ago, had a ductal in other breast and mastectomy 17 years ago, and here I am back to the first with another lobular. Sorry I didn't have mastectomy the first tine. Oh well, hindsight and all that.

Take care,
    Pam

it sure is
    hey! thank you Pam!

i'm sorry you didn't do it all those years ago but your response has helped me confirm i have made the right decision. i'm 47 and don't want to do this again.....so although the TCH has decreased my tumor significantly....and they indicated that i could now choose to have a lumpectomy if i want.....they still suggested the mastectomy and i agree.

great advice and support. thank you so very much.

would love to stay with you thru your surgery too.

much love....

ally
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Pam5 said:

It's a Lot!
    Hi Ally,

Take care,
    Pam

Everyone is different
    everyone is different, plus different Chemo drugs have specific side effects too. I had Taxotere/Cytoxan combo, for me #6 was the worse. Nothing new here since Chemo drugs have cumulative effect. The only thing that kept me going was the fact #6 was my last one. After stopping steroids (two days after infusion) I spent 3 weeks in agony and fog, counting every minute assuming that I need 3 weeks for Chemo to leave my body. I do not want scary you, that was my experience with #6. I do not remember what I ate since I did not have taste buds probable after #4.

Wishing you minimal side effect and moving forward with your treatment
  • ajdebbs

Everyone is different
    everyone is different, plus different Chemo drugs have specific side effects too. I had Taxotere/Cytoxan combo, for me #6 was the worse. Nothing new here since Chemo drugs have cumulative effect. The only thing that kept me going was the fact #6 was my last one. After stopping steroids (two days after infusion) I spent 3 weeks in agony and fog, counting every minute assuming that I need 3 weeks for Chemo to leave my body. I do not want scary you, that was my experience with #6. I do not remember what I ate since I did not have taste buds probable after #4.

Thank you!
    that is my fear which is why i decided to post. #5 wasn't awful but i developed more side effects that are very trying to my body and my only thought was that if this continues thru #6...they could be worse and completely wipe me out. like you...the only thing that is getting me through the thought of it is that it's my last one.....i take the same drug as you did....with the Herceptin as well as the Neulasta. so we will see.
    i appreciate the post.....it really does help me. thank you so much.
    God bless.
    Ally
  • ajdebbs

Everyone is different

Thank you!
    that is my fear which is why i decided to post. #5 wasn't awful but i developed more side effects that are very trying to my body and my only thought was that if this continues thru #6...they could be worse and completely wipe me out. like you...the only thing that is getting me through the thought of it is that it's my last one.....i take the same drug as you did....with the Herceptin as well as the Neulasta. so we will see.
    God bless.
    Ally
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    ajdebbs said:

Thank you!
    God bless.
    Ally

Ally
    First of all im glad you are here. I wish you luck on your last chemo treatment. I had adryomyacin/cytoxin treatments and my last treatment wasnt any worse that what i was already experiencing. I finished my chemo in 2009 and i cant remember all the side effects, but i do remember being real tired and sore all over. I still have pain in my body that wasnt there before i had chemo and i now have to see a symptom management doctor. Everyone is different though. I will be praying that it goes easy for you!!
    take care
    Laura
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    ajdebbs said:

Thank you!
    God bless.
    Ally

Ally
    I am glad that it is helping you. Make sure you and your family will be prepared and take it easy. Good luck
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Hair
    When your hair comes back it may not all come at the same time. I have hair of two lengths and I have to let it grow a bit longer before I can get it evened out.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member

Everyone is different

Just want to say congrats
    Just want to say congrats Ally on finishing chemo! And, good luck with your surgery and rads! We're here to help you however we can!

Hugs, Debby
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

Hair
    When your hair comes back it may not all come at the same time. I have hair of two lengths and I have to let it grow a bit longer before I can get it evened out.

as stated by my fellow Sisters in PINK .. we are all
    different. Personally, my last TCH chemo infusion was by far the worst. My Oncologist
    stated because the chemo accumulates in your body, and takes time to works it way out
    of our bodies.

I too, continued on for a year with Herceptin. As time went on (after 4 months), I
    did notice that my symptoms see to become lessen with time. Then again, I was one of
    those Sisters in PINK == that had side efforts far beyond the 'Bell Standard' charts.

Good luck, gentle hugs and prayers for you dear Sister.

Strength, Courage and Hope for a CURE.

Vicki Sam