Estrogen Inhibitors

Sara2011
Sara2011 Member Posts: 78 Member
I just completed my 8th and hopefully final round of chemo today. So I have a pleasant week to look forward to....(cough, cough, chuckle)!

My oncologist is going to be putting me on Aromasin and Megace (estrogen inhibitors) and I would like to know if anyone else has taken this combination and how were the side effects. Is it possible to diet and lose weight while being on these drugs? As always, thanks for your input!

Sara

Comments

• mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    HERE'S HOPING THIS IS YOUR FINAL ROUND!
    I am not familiar with Aromasin, but isn't Megace a laxative? I was sure my doc had me take that during my initial dx for constipation.

Anyway, the weight issue is ongoing for me. Up and down, up and down. My age, my two bouts with OVCA, hormonal changes, etc., etc. certainly make it more difficult to lose the weight, but I just have to be very, very diligent. Here's hoping that you will be able to get on track and meet your new goals!

(((HUGS)))
    Monika
  • carolenk
    carolenk Member Posts: 907 Member
    mopar said:

HERE'S HOPING THIS IS YOUR FINAL ROUND!
    I am not familiar with Aromasin, but isn't Megace a laxative? I was sure my doc had me take that during my initial dx for constipation.

Anyway, the weight issue is ongoing for me. Up and down, up and down. My age, my two bouts with OVCA, hormonal changes, etc., etc. certainly make it more difficult to lose the weight, but I just have to be very, very diligent. Here's hoping that you will be able to get on track and meet your new goals!

(((HUGS)))
    Monika

Estrogen tends to cause
    Estrogen tends to cause weight gain. I would think that you should be able to lose weight. How are you planning to lose weight?
  • Cafewoman53
    Cafewoman53 Member Posts: 735 Member
    Congratulations!
    I don't have an answer to your question but just wanted to congratulate you on finishing your chemo!
    I love your picture you look like a fun person!
    Colleen
  • Sara2011
    carolenk said:

Estrogen tends to cause
    Estrogen tends to cause weight gain. I would think that you should be able to lose weight. How are you planning to lose weight?

Aromasin Stops Estrogen Production
    As I understand it, Aromasin stops any estrogen production and the Megace is a progesterone, both used to stop any further tumor growth. The Megace stimulates appetite, I'm told. I am looking into a diet similar to the Adkins diet, pretty strict, high protein, no sugar, white potatoe, white rice, diet/reg sodas, etc.
  • Sara2011

Congratulations!
    I don't have an answer to your question but just wanted to congratulate you on finishing your chemo!
    I love your picture you look like a fun person!
    Colleen

Thanks, Colleen.
    I do enjoy laughter and a good sense of humor! It does help to get you through the tough times! :]
  • carolenk
    carolenk Member Posts: 907 Member
    Sara2011 said:

Thanks, Colleen.
    I do enjoy laughter and a good sense of humor! It does help to get you through the tough times! :]

Appetite stimulant
    I read that Megace is given to increase weight gain! And in the one clinical trial, the effective dose was 800mg/day--that seems like an awfully high dose.

Synthetic progesterones such as Megace have a reputation for increasing blood clots & strokes (see if you can find the results of the Women's Health Initiatve research). Talk to your doctor about low dose aspirin therapy to keep your platelets from getting sticky.