What does this mean?

Got the pathology report back. One of the lymph nodes had micrometastatic adenocarcinoma .9 mm. So I have to go see a medical oncologist for possible radiation. :-(. Is this advanced?

Comments

• roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Not necessarily.
    The lymph nodes are there to catch the bad stuff so it doesn't get anywhere else. Many of us had some lymph node involvement and do not have advanced stages of cancer. I would talk to your oncologist for staging but don't panic.
    Roseann
  • Slimsixtwo
    Slimsixtwo Member Posts: 24
    roseann4 said:

Not necessarily.
    The lymph nodes are there to catch the bad stuff so it doesn't get anywhere else. Many of us had some lymph node involvement and do not have advanced stages of cancer. I would talk to your oncologist for staging but don't panic.
    Roseann

Thanks Roseanne. According
    Thanks Roseanne. According to the report, I had clear margins, but that one lymph node was involved. I'm going to remain positive, but I'm just so dissappointed because this final report is way different than my initial diagnosis. I'm also estrogen positive.
  • tufi000
    tufi000 Member Posts: 745 Member

Thanks Roseanne. According
    Thanks Roseanne. According to the report, I had clear margins, but that one lymph node was involved. I'm going to remain positive, but I'm just so dissappointed because this final report is way different than my initial diagnosis. I'm also estrogen positive.

hangin'
    I had 15/17 node involvement. That was April 2003 and I was staged IIB/IIIC estrogen positive and still kicking. Waiting is the hardest, but don't let worst case scenario crush you before all the facts are in. If you trust your docs, do what they say and ask them about EVERYTHING you want clarified. Fare thee well
  • Slimsixtwo
    tufi000 said:

hangin'
    I had 15/17 node involvement. That was April 2003 and I was staged IIB/IIIC estrogen positive and still kicking. Waiting is the hardest, but don't let worst case scenario crush you before all the facts are in. If you trust your docs, do what they say and ask them about EVERYTHING you want clarified. Fare thee well

That's awesome!!!! You're
    That's awesome!!!! You're right. I think I just had that initial shock. I'll definitely chill out and wait to see what my dr recommends. thanks so much for the reality check! You ladies ROCK!!!!
  • cntgobck03
    cntgobck03 Member Posts: 21
    Hi there,
    A medical

Hi there,

A medical oncologist deals with Chemo and a radiation oncologist deals with radiation and you probably want to consult with both, you need to be aware of all the possibilities. Take someone with you to both, it helps tremendously.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Hi there,
    A medical

Hi there,

A medical oncologist deals with Chemo and a radiation oncologist deals with radiation and you probably want to consult with both, you need to be aware of all the possibilities. Take someone with you to both, it helps tremendously.

Well I dont know all the
    Well I dont know all the details but micromets to one node is pretty good!
  • madsters1
    madsters1 Member Posts: 120
    I was diagnosed with
    I was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma.Even though I have micrometastesis (1.5 mm N1),I have been categorized as Stage II because anywhere from one to three nodes were cancerous. It is not considered advanced and my prognosis is very good. However, I have had four rounds of chemo,I start six weeks of radiation next week, and will have five years of hormone therapy after that. The hormone therapy is only because my tumor was estrogen receptor positive. I hope this relieves some of the panic. It's a long, hard road and I'm definatley looking forward to the end. :)
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    A Medical Oncologist is a
    A Medical Oncologist is a Chemo Dr - not Radiation Dr. A Radiation Oncologist is for Radiation.

Didn't whatever Dr gave you the report explain to you what it meant.?

Honestly I don't know the words used but if only one lymph node was involved - that's not bad. I had 19 nodes out and 19 were possitive - that was over 2 years ago for IBC and I'm still doing grear.

Susan.
  • Slimsixtwo
    Thanks ladies. My dr did
    Thanks ladies. My dr did give me the report, but that thing was hard to understand and when he was explaining it to me, I think I just zoned out. I do remember him stating that I had clean margins from the mastectomy and 1 node was involved. He mentioned me seeing a medical oncologist to state my options. I called my nurse shortly after posting this and she explained it to me. I, too, am estrogen positive. I want to live as long as possible, so I'm going to embrace the treatment as best as I can. Thanks so much for the feedback ladies!!
  • Frankie Shannon
    Frankie Shannon Member Posts: 457

Thanks ladies. My dr did
    Thanks ladies. My dr did give me the report, but that thing was hard to understand and when he was explaining it to me, I think I just zoned out. I do remember him stating that I had clean margins from the mastectomy and 1 node was involved. He mentioned me seeing a medical oncologist to state my options. I called my nurse shortly after posting this and she explained it to me. I, too, am estrogen positive. I want to live as long as possible, so I'm going to embrace the treatment as best as I can. Thanks so much for the feedback ladies!!

I had bil.mastectomy with 2
    I had bil.mastectomy with 2 lymph nodes removed from each side they where neg.for cancer so just went on hormone Tamoxifen for 5 years as i was estrogen positive.Do what ever it takes to keep your sell cancer free.Keep us posted.

Hugs Frankie
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598

Thanks ladies. My dr did

Let us know what how your
    Let us know how your appointments turn out. Good news on clear margins!

Hugs, Lex
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Rague said:

A Medical Oncologist is a
    A Medical Oncologist is a Chemo Dr - not Radiation Dr. A Radiation Oncologist is for Radiation.

Didn't whatever Dr gave you the report explain to you what it meant.?

Honestly I don't know the words used but if only one lymph node was involved - that's not bad. I had 19 nodes out and 19 were possitive - that was over 2 years ago for IBC and I'm still doing grear.

Susan.

I can't answer what it
    I can't answer what it means, only a doctor can. What did your doctor say or when is your appointment?