Radiation

Lisaepstein
Lisaepstein Member Posts: 62 Member
starting radiation soon what should I expect? My doctor said I go 5 x a week for 5 weeks. One positive thing my brca1 and 2 test came back negative.

Comments

• GrammyKaren
    GrammyKaren Member Posts: 96
    good news about the brca mutation
    i was tired alot, but this time i used aquaphor liberally after i would get home and put on a tank top. be gentle with your skin. pat dry gently
    drink lots of water and no vit or supplements except vit d3. i complied and all went well.

i am writng lower case sorry

hugs,
    karen
  • MsGebby
    MsGebby Member Posts: 659
    I just finished
    3 weeks of rads. It's not bad. I am just now getting pink skin and a bit itchy. Exhaustion has a fine grip on me though. The techs make the experience much more pleasant than I had expected. My rad onc sees me every week and draws blood as well. 3 more weeks and I will be a rad grad. I am counting the days.

The first time I went into the THAT room, I was overwhelmed. For me, it was a wake up call. I found out in August that I had cancer and treatments started in January. I guess I was walking around thinking NOTHING is really wrong ... until I stepped into this room with the radiation machine. My first thought while laying on the table was "Goodbye cancer". Now because I am so tired, I dread taking the 30 minute (each way) drive for a 15 minute appointment, every day.

My first visit was to see the radiation oncologist. It was an extended visit. He went over my labs, tests, surgeries, etc. Then he went into the details of what my treatment will be. The next visit was for me to have a CT scan. This is done so the techs can mark areas (little tattoos...freckle sized) for the exact coordinates the radiation will be targeting. After that, the treatments begin. Like I said earlier, your appointments will last about 15 minutes. In 2 weeks, I will have what is called a BOOST. Not sure how much radiation is involved. I still have to keep my regular appointment that day and then go for a new CT scan. The BOOST is directed at the cavity the lumpectomy left.

Overall, it is knowing that I am doing what I have to so I can live a long healthy life. Try not to freak too much. It really is quite easy to get through.

Keep the faith. Live Laugh Love

Mary
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    No Door
    What really surprised me was that there was no door on the radiation room. The entry was an opeming about 8 ft. tall and 10 ft. wide. It was a large round room (probably 40 ft across). Around the room, below the ceiling, is a planter withh beautiful artificial plants that you can see while doing rads. The round configuration is why no closeable door is needed.

They assigned you a locker to lock up your 'stuff' and clothes during rads. They gave you a Pink SuperWoman cape and terry cloth robe to wear. You could use them more than once if you wanted (put in your locker) or get a clean one out of the closet daily. (I usually changedthem weekly as they are on such a short time.)

Saw Dr weekly, had blood work weekly and X-rays weekly which were done while on the rad table before TX..
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    MsGebby said:

I just finished
    3 weeks of rads. It's not bad. I am just now getting pink skin and a bit itchy. Exhaustion has a fine grip on me though. The techs make the experience much more pleasant than I had expected. My rad onc sees me every week and draws blood as well. 3 more weeks and I will be a rad grad. I am counting the days.

The first time I went into the THAT room, I was overwhelmed. For me, it was a wake up call. I found out in August that I had cancer and treatments started in January. I guess I was walking around thinking NOTHING is really wrong ... until I stepped into this room with the radiation machine. My first thought while laying on the table was "Goodbye cancer". Now because I am so tired, I dread taking the 30 minute (each way) drive for a 15 minute appointment, every day.

My first visit was to see the radiation oncologist. It was an extended visit. He went over my labs, tests, surgeries, etc. Then he went into the details of what my treatment will be. The next visit was for me to have a CT scan. This is done so the techs can mark areas (little tattoos...freckle sized) for the exact coordinates the radiation will be targeting. After that, the treatments begin. Like I said earlier, your appointments will last about 15 minutes. In 2 weeks, I will have what is called a BOOST. Not sure how much radiation is involved. I still have to keep my regular appointment that day and then go for a new CT scan. The BOOST is directed at the cavity the lumpectomy left.

Overall, it is knowing that I am doing what I have to so I can live a long healthy life. Try not to freak too much. It really is quite easy to get through.

Keep the faith. Live Laugh Love

Mary

Mary,
    Happy to see your post

Mary,

Happy to see your post today and glad that things are going good for you.

Been thinking about you.

I did have a slight burn with oozing towards the end of my rads. They gave me a tube of ointment (name I have long forgotten). It helped tremendously. Mine was in my neck so maybe the breast is not as tender. Hoping you will breeze through the remaining weeks.

Best,

Doris
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    White T shirts
    Because the skin eventally burns a bit you will want to wear a white t shirt next to your skin. White refracts the heat while darker colors collect the heat compounding the burning sensation.
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    I had no side effects at
    I had no side effects at all...thankfully...I hope you have the same as me..I did it only lunch hour daily for 6 wks..driviing, changing took longer then the treatment!

I did use cream daily / many times...NO burn, chap, fatigue...so really NO advice..