Never turn your back on a doctor

ron50
ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
I saw my nephrologist yesterday. My auto-immune problems have flared again. He said my kidneys tecnically aren't too bad as far as producing urine and getting rid of toxins ect but he admitted that they were very'leaky'. my protein loss is up over two grams a day again. He started on the lets try again. This time the drugs he suggested were cyclosporin,cyclophosphamide and imuran. We had a long discussion about long term side effects of chemo and if pathologists have any guidelines for detecting those side effects.
If they do he has no knowledge of them. He admitted that the two kidney biopsies that I have undergone were of little value due to the lack of quality kidney samples produced by them. They had enough to test for some normal textbook kidney problems but not enough to check for unexplained abnormalities. SO i get to get stabbed in the back again.I really do not like kidney biopsies. They are one of the few things that really put the wind up me. Apparently I have some seriously fibrous layers in my back and it takes a lot of pressure to get the needle thru them. They use ultrasound to guide the needle as they have to try to hit an area of the kidney without major plumbing. It is very easy to bleed out and lose a kidney and you have to lay flat on your back for several hours afterward to ensure that does not happen .
Even if he can come up with an actual diagnosis this time my doc has warned me that I will be on one of the immuno suppressants he mentioned. They are all used in organ transplants and they are all known to cause cancer as well as several million side effects none of which are pleasant.
I'm not whinging . Kathi gives such wonderfully descriptive posts on what she is up to and where she has been. Just thought I'd give you an insight into the recreational activites of another long term survivor. Ps I'd much prefer apple tarts beer and knuffels. :) Ron.

Comments

• tommycat
    tommycat Member Posts: 790 Member
    Wow, that sounds pretty
    Wow, that sounds pretty intense. You've been through a lot, and yet come out the other side pretty darn intact. Hoping this surgery/med combo helps you and the hassle is worth it.
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Ron
    Ron - I had a bone marrow biopsy and the onc was pushing full force into the bone and grinding away...all I could do was take it and try and be still.

Seems it takes alot more than a needle to puncture my fat a$$.

:)

Good luck with it - I know it's not easy for you....my chart is not looking like a highlight reel either.

-Craig
  • smokeyjoe
    smokeyjoe Member Posts: 1,425 Member
    Sundanceh said:

Ron
    Ron - I had a bone marrow biopsy and the onc was pushing full force into the bone and grinding away...all I could do was take it and try and be still.

Seems it takes alot more than a needle to puncture my fat a$$.

:)

Good luck with it - I know it's not easy for you....my chart is not looking like a highlight reel either.

-Craig

Okay, both you men have me
    Okay, both you men have me cringing!!! Ouuuuch!!!!
  • Brenda Bricco
    Brenda Bricco Member Posts: 579 Member
    smokeyjoe said:

Okay, both you men have me
    Okay, both you men have me cringing!!! Ouuuuch!!!!

Since we are comparing...
    In 2001-2002 I survived sepsis from strep bacteria and multiple organ failure which made it necessary to amputate my right big toe. I woke up to the doctor clipping the bone with a industrial sized nail clipper type of tool. I remember lifting my head up and saying Ough, ouch, Ouch! to whch he replied... "Jim" I assume the anestitist name was Jim... and out I went again. I don't like thinking about it because I can relive it like it was yesterday. :( It's amazing what one human body can endure and survive. Sheesh!
    I'm sorry you are facing such an unpleasant procedure. I hope it is here and gone before you know it!
    Brenda
  • ketziah35
    ketziah35 Member Posts: 1,145
    My mom showed signs of
    My mom showed signs of cancer in 200z and the heiFfa didn't address it ever. I don't trust doc's.
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Yikes
    Sounds like a big procedure again for you as you've been through so much already. With all the flooding that you have been going through and now this, you sure have a lot on your plate. I'm always thinking and praying for you. Even though you are cancer free, you are one that has suffered from all the after effects of the treatment. I'm still glad you are here and hoping that you fair well with what is coming up for you.

Hugs! Kim
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member

Yikes
    Sounds like a big procedure again for you as you've been through so much already. With all the flooding that you have been going through and now this, you sure have a lot on your plate. I'm always thinking and praying for you. Even though you are cancer free, you are one that has suffered from all the after effects of the treatment. I'm still glad you are here and hoping that you fair well with what is coming up for you.

Hugs! Kim

yikes is right
    Ronnie my old son I do not like the sound of the needle stab in the back. I can see why you not overly fond of that one.

How I wish you were not having to do this again. It is hard to believe you survived the cancer and still have to pay and pay.

The weather here has been kind to us. Noramlly at this time of year i would have snow banks for four to five feet on my front lawn and this year the snow is inches only.

Good luck with tests Ron and let us know how you do.....

much love,
    maggie
  • ron50
    maglets said:

yikes is right
    Ronnie my old son I do not like the sound of the needle stab in the back. I can see why you not overly fond of that one.

How I wish you were not having to do this again. It is hard to believe you survived the cancer and still have to pay and pay.

The weather here has been kind to us. Noramlly at this time of year i would have snow banks for four to five feet on my front lawn and this year the snow is inches only.

Good luck with tests Ron and let us know how you do.....

much love,
    maggie

Thanks Mags
    Kidney biopsies are my kryptonite. We are seriously flooded again. I nearly got washed out of my flat last week ,we had sixteen inches for the week and today they are evacuating a whole town in the south west of the state as they are expecting a record flood peak. Next year we will have a drought. Hugs Ron.
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    ron50 said:

Thanks Mags
    Kidney biopsies are my kryptonite. We are seriously flooded again. I nearly got washed out of my flat last week ,we had sixteen inches for the week and today they are evacuating a whole town in the south west of the state as they are expecting a record flood peak. Next year we will have a drought. Hugs Ron.

crap
    crappie crap....how did I miss this? where have I been? Ron so sorry I did not know you where being flooded again? how are your walls? your floors? do you have mould????

hugs right back at you darling boy

mags
  • ron50
    maglets said:

crap
    crappie crap....how did I miss this? where have I been? Ron so sorry I did not know you where being flooded again? how are your walls? your floors? do you have mould????

hugs right back at you darling boy

mags

Mate
    Even the mould has mould:)