Let's all pray for UN-Matted Nodes!!!!!!

Options
Irishgypsie
Irishgypsie Member Posts: 333
edited February 2012 in Head and Neck Cancer #1
Well, it's probably a question we don't really want to ask our doctors, but I thought this article was interesting!!!!!! It would be great for future newbies who could benefit from lower treatment protocols.

The presence of “matted” lymph nodes in persons with oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma (SCC)—that is, nodes that are connected together—was associated with a 3-year survival rate of 69%, compared with 94% among patients without matted nodes. Such a marker could help clinicians identify patients who are at heightened risk for metastasis and who might benefit from additional systemic therapy. Conversely, a person without matted nodes could be a candidate for less therapy, which would in turn reduce uncomfortable side effects.

http://oralcancernews.org/wp/connected-nodes-in-throat-cancer-signal-poor-prognosis/

Charles

Comments

• Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    Un-Matted...
    I'm always in favor of unmatted anything....well maybe other than a big wad of matted moolah....

Thanks for the info Charles....

Best to you and Abby,
    John
  • Jennfer39
    Jennfer39 Member Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    ProgNODESis
    This certainly brings up a topic I will need to discuss with my ENT and rad oncologist. I am fairly certain I was matted, but never asked that question. I am not a statistic, but this article brings questions up that I was not prepared to consider the answers to.

Good info to know, though!
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Side Effects
    Great find Charles, I am for anything that can reduce the side effects of treatment.

Keep-up the good work
    Tim Hondo
  • jtl
    jtl Member Posts: 456
    Options
    I will have to ask my ENT
    I will have to ask my ENT what he saw, hopefully he remembers or made a point of documenting it. I know he did say that he did not see anything suspicious regarding the other nodes.
  • Irishgypsie
    Irishgypsie Member Posts: 333
    Options
    jtl said:

I will have to ask my ENT
    I will have to ask my ENT what he saw, hopefully he remembers or made a point of documenting it. I know he did say that he did not see anything suspicious regarding the other nodes.

50/50
    Not sure if it was good to post. I didn't want to cause anyone more anxiety or fear! I'm a RN so I'm always interested in research; especially related to our type of cancer. Having said that, I asked my ENT and he said it's really very opinionated, what one may call matted nodes or connected nodes. In the the end he said just enjoy life, what good would it do to ask; but cause unneeded worry! :(

Cheers! :)

Charles
  • jtl
    jtl Member Posts: 456
    Options

50/50
    Not sure if it was good to post. I didn't want to cause anyone more anxiety or fear! I'm a RN so I'm always interested in research; especially related to our type of cancer. Having said that, I asked my ENT and he said it's really very opinionated, what one may call matted nodes or connected nodes. In the the end he said just enjoy life, what good would it do to ask; but cause unneeded worry! :(

Cheers! :)

Charles

Sounds like something my ENT
    Sounds like something my ENT would say. When I wanted to be tested for HPV he asked why do I care, you will be fine anyway. Well I wanted to know. He is not much of a research doc, my med onc on the other hand is all over anything new and promising. He loves to attend professional seminars and read medical journals. Thanks for the information.

John