For those who have had cataract surgery-

Rague
Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
Did they do a chest x-ray when you went to your pre-op screening?

Tomorrow is my appts to go to optometary for measurements and then to the pre-op screening to give med history (not really sure why I need to as they already have all my medical for the last 16 yrs on file and I've given previous HX before but they want it so will comply.) I knew about these 2 appts but last night when the 'auto call' came to remind me, it said I have 3 appts - not the 2 I knew of. I just called to find out where this 3rd appt was. Turns out that it is for a chest x-ray ordered by the pre-op appt. So wondering if this is common or just something VA has decided to do? I have a call in to ask about it but thought it couldn't hurt to ask here.

I really do not want one done - there is no reason I can think of to do one. Plus considering all the scans and rads I've had - and might in the future NEED - I don't want any radiation that isn't NEEDED for a good reason.

Susan

Comments

• Frankie Shannon
    Frankie Shannon Member Posts: 457
    When i had my cataract
    When i had my cataract surgery they did not do chest x-ray.
    Frankie
  • Rague

When i had my cataract
    When i had my cataract surgery they did not do chest x-ray.
    Frankie

Yeah that's what I thought.
    Yeah that's what I thought. I've never heard of anyone else having it done. I could understand maybe if I had heart or lung issues - definately don't. The only health issues I have I don't see how a chest X-ray would show anything to do with cataract surgery. I have arthritis in upper back but that's well documented for years - most recent Bone scan about 6 months ago. Have a couple of other minor issues thanks to chemo, surgery, chemo and rads but all are under control and have nothing to do with anything that would show in a chest X-ray. If they wanted to do ahead X-ray, I probably wouldn't be questioning that but this isn't making sense to me at all.

They haven't called me back so I'm waiting til noon and starting calling again.

Susan
  • calvertcrafts
    calvertcrafts Member Posts: 93 Member
    Rague said:

Yeah that's what I thought.
    Yeah that's what I thought. I've never heard of anyone else having it done. I could understand maybe if I had heart or lung issues - definately don't. The only health issues I have I don't see how a chest X-ray would show anything to do with cataract surgery. I have arthritis in upper back but that's well documented for years - most recent Bone scan about 6 months ago. Have a couple of other minor issues thanks to chemo, surgery, chemo and rads but all are under control and have nothing to do with anything that would show in a chest X-ray. If they wanted to do ahead X-ray, I probably wouldn't be questioning that but this isn't making sense to me at all.

They haven't called me back so I'm waiting til noon and starting calling again.

Susan

cataracts
    I had surgery on both eyes at separate times and had a chest xray each time.
  • Rague
    Got a little info
    Well - finally talked to someone - claim that all surgery - Civilian and VA - have a chest Xray before surgery. WRONG! Did not have one before Civilian mast. Surgery 2 yrs ago. Surgical team is supposed to call me back.
  • Rague

cataracts
    I had surgery on both eyes at separate times and had a chest xray each time.

2 different days for surgery
    Originally I was scheduled for the pre-op appt tomorrow with right eye scheduled for Feb 22 and left on Feb 29. I got called and asked if I would be willing to change my 22nd appt to the 15th as it would make it eaiser for a woman - so I did.

Susan
  • Rague
    "We will discuss it."
    Haven't talked directly to anyone on the 'Surgical Team' but secretary called me back. I'm not to go for chest X-ray before appt. - we will 'discuss' it tomorrow. IF they can give me realistic reasons why I NEED it (not just 'what's done') or I have to for surgery - I'll do it. Do it blindly with no explaination WHY - NO!

Susan
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Rague said:

"We will discuss it."
    Haven't talked directly to anyone on the 'Surgical Team' but secretary called me back. I'm not to go for chest X-ray before appt. - we will 'discuss' it tomorrow. IF they can give me realistic reasons why I NEED it (not just 'what's done') or I have to for surgery - I'll do it. Do it blindly with no explaination WHY - NO!

Susan

X-Ray
    Hi,

I had both eyes done without having a chest x-ray.

I have learned with my many surgical procedures and medical issues, that I can refuse any test when I see no reason to warrant them. When a test or scan is requested, I do inquire why it is ordered. Sometimes it is very obvious, other times not.

Removing cataracts does not require anesthesia and there is no need to see if you have lung issues or not.
    They probably do inquire if you do on all those forms they have you sign.

Cataract surgery is a very simple procedure.

Doris
  • Rague
    SIROD said:

X-Ray
    Hi,

I had both eyes done without having a chest x-ray.

I have learned with my many surgical procedures and medical issues, that I can refuse any test when I see no reason to warrant them. When a test or scan is requested, I do inquire why it is ordered. Sometimes it is very obvious, other times not.

Removing cataracts does not require anesthesia and there is no need to see if you have lung issues or not.
    They probably do inquire if you do on all those forms they have you sign.

Cataract surgery is a very simple procedure.

Doris

So glad you told me that
    So glad you told me that Hubby doesn't have to take me to surgery because you say there will be NO anethesia - when my paperwork clearly states differently - I have to have a driver because of anethisia. What now is really scareing me is that you are saying I'm going to be laying there, they are going to send something into my eye and I'm just laying there just no level of anethesia. That's so different than all the papers I have.
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Rague said:

So glad you told me that
    So glad you told me that Hubby doesn't have to take me to surgery because you say there will be NO anethesia - when my paperwork clearly states differently - I have to have a driver because of anethisia. What now is really scareing me is that you are saying I'm going to be laying there, they are going to send something into my eye and I'm just laying there just no level of anethesia. That's so different than all the papers I have.

Misinterpret
    I am sorry Susan that my replies offend you.

What I meant is that you are not put under, totally oblivious. I should have said, local anesthetics that numb the area. I figured you would know what I meant since surgery is coming up soon. Apologies if I stressed you out unnecessarily it was not my intent.

You seem to misinterpret every word I try to say. I shall not answer any of your posts in the future.

I wish you the best with your surgeries, as with everything else.

Doris
  • Frankie Shannon
    Frankie Shannon Member Posts: 457
    Rague said:

So glad you told me that

They don't put you out but
    They don't put you out but there is still an anesthetic they give you,they said i was awake but i don't remember any of it and still needed a driver as your eye will be covered up.

Frankie
  • Rague
    I won!
    No chest X-ray. I got her to agree that considering all the Scans in the last 2 1/2 yrs plus my vitals are all well within normal range (excellent O2 level) and a new EKG that was also very good that it's highly unlikely that there is anything that would show on an X-ray - so she waived the requirement.

Susan