new to the board

a1phil
a1phil Member Posts: 29
Looking for the best treatment am located in central mi, jackson. anybody know good docs and surgery center

Comments

• paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,392 Member
    University of Michigan in Ann Arbor
    Phil,

I have heard good things about University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. Here is a link to their esophageal cancer resource page:

University of Michigan esophageal cancer resources

Please tell us more about your case. How old are you? Have you been staged yet? Have you had a second opinion?

If you can travel for treatment you may want to consider University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. Dr James Luketich has pioneered a minimally invasive surgical technique with positive results for many here. Here is a link to his information

Dr. James Luketich

Please give us more information and we can make better suggestions.

Best Regards,

Paul Adams
    McCormick, South Carolina

DX 10/22/2009 T2N1M0 Stage IIB
    12/03/2009 Ivor Lewis
    2/8 through 6/14/2010 Adjuvant Chemo Cisplatin, Epirubicin, 5 FU
    Two year survivor

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance!
  • BobHaze
    BobHaze Member Posts: 163 Member
    paul61 said:

University of Michigan in Ann Arbor
    Phil,

I have heard good things about University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. Here is a link to their esophageal cancer resource page:

University of Michigan esophageal cancer resources

Please tell us more about your case. How old are you? Have you been staged yet? Have you had a second opinion?

If you can travel for treatment you may want to consider University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. Dr James Luketich has pioneered a minimally invasive surgical technique with positive results for many here. Here is a link to his information

Dr. James Luketich

Please give us more information and we can make better suggestions.

Best Regards,

Paul Adams
    McCormick, South Carolina

DX 10/22/2009 T2N1M0 Stage IIB
    12/03/2009 Ivor Lewis
    2/8 through 6/14/2010 Adjuvant Chemo Cisplatin, Epirubicin, 5 FU
    Two year survivor

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance!
    Dr. Luketich
    I agree with Paul that Dr. Luletich is a resource to consider, even if you don’t use him as a surgeon. What I mean is that when I was diagnosed, the GI doc who had done my EUS (Endoscopic Ultra Sound – a vital step in the staging process) at Massachusetts General Hospital said I was early Stage 1 and a good candidate for a Minimally Invasive Esophagectomy (MIE), which is definitely the procedure of choice for those who are candidates. He also recommended a thoracic surgeon at Mass General who he said is very experienced with this complicated procedure. I took his advice to heart but decided, on advice from this Board, to research surgeons who were both board certified and EXPERIENCED in the MIE procedure and, again partly on advice from this Board, I wanted some link to Dr. Luketich, who pioneered this procedure.

For insurance reasons I had to start my research with the list of in-network thoracic surgeons provided by my insurance plan. I looked at each one carefully online and found that none was certified to perform an Esophagectomy (they were all cardiac and/or pediatric thoracic surgeons), which I immediately informed my insurance plan. They looked at my research and agreed that they didn’t have anyone who could do this procedure, and they said to find an appropriate surgeon and request an out-of-network referral. I then looked at Dr. Christopher Morse at Mass General, the guy who was recommended by the GI doc in the first place, and I found that not only has he performed hundreds of MIE’s, but he trained 8 years ago in a fellowship at the University of Pittsburg Medical Center (UPMC) under Dr. Luketich, specifically to learn and become certified in the MIE procedure. My wife and I met with Dr. Morse, we liked and were comfortable with him and his answers to our questions, and that’s the way we went. And I’ve been entirely satisfied with him and how he’s managed my surgery and my recovery ever since. My comfort level with him was influenced in no small part by his connection to Dt. Luketich.

I’m sure there are plenty of competent surgeons around the country who are qualified to and experienced in MIE’s but have no connection to Dr. Luketich, but in my case it was a factor. I think the most important thing for any EC patient who has been determined to be a surgical candidate is to find a surgeon who is EXPERIENCED in whatever procedure has been prescribed…by the original doctor AND by at least a second opinion and maybe a third. I think it might be a mistake to accept the word of a well-intended surgeon at some small regional hospital who tells you you need Ivor Lewis surgery, “But don’t worry, I did a couple during my residency.” EC a very serious disease and Esophagectomy is a very serious and very complicated procedure with life-long an dlife style consequences, and it’s important to find a major cancer center with surgeons who are experienced in this specific procedure – again, MIE if you’re a candidate.

Good luck with your search. You made a good choice already by reaching out to this board. There are lots of folks here who are much more experienced than I and are ready to give you general and specific suggestions.

Bob
    T1aN0M0
    Dx 8/3/11
    MIE 9/23/11
  • JReed
    JReed Member Posts: 428
    Battle Creek, MI
    Hey Neighbor!

We are located between Battle Creek and Marshall. Husband diagnosed 21 NOV 2012 - Stage 3 T3N1M0. We are seeing Dr. Reddy of University of Michigan as the thoracic surgeon - he is trained under Dr. Orringer who invented and perfected the THE. He sent us to West Michigan Cancer Center to see Dr. Nigrin for the radiation oncologist and Dr. Chandana for the chemo oncologist. We are extremely happy with our team - although the wait was quite unbearable (our gastroenterologist's office had no experience with UofM or esophageal cancer so there was confusion as to whom to see in the beginning) We feel blessed to have Dr. Reddy so experienced and right here in our backyard.

Believe me, I did exhaustive research and took the opinions of the pioneers on this site and researched their advice. It is an overwhelming task, because, naturally you want the best. The answer is that there are very many qualified, highly trained and experienced surgeons and oncologists across the United States and other countries as well.

I questioned Dr. Reddy and his staff as to why we should go there and not to Dr. Luketich at UPMC and the answer was that Dr. Reddy, Dr. Orringer and the EC team at UofM have actually performed more surgies (in number) and continue to have an excellent track record as far as good results. One staff member even said that his dad works around Dr. Luketich and that he (the staff member) would come to UofM if he had EC. Dr. Luketich is the top in his field of MIE approach to surgery. This is no disrespect to Dr. Luketich whatsoever, but a huge compliment to Dr. Reddy and colleagues at Univ of Mich who have studied under Dr. Orringer.

There are basically three kinds of surgeries:
    1. Ivor Lewis
    2. THE
    3. MIE (there are various types of MIE's so this needs to be very carefully researched - you want the MIE that Dr. Luketich is perfecting)

On this board, there are experiences with each of these surgeries. We also have Stage IVs who cannot have surgery and are being treated with chemo and/or radiation.

You did not say what your diagnosis is - so I am going to assume you just found out you or someone you love has been diagnosed with Esophageal Cancer and you are looking for - What is the next step and who is and where is the best facility/doctors in the world. (short answer = they are everywhere - you just need to find out who and where is the best for you)

We feel blessed to have the top THE doctors and facility in the world right here in Ann Arbor, MI - so we chose to go there - our second choice would have been Dr. Luketich. Of course, your insurance and financial situation will more than likely factor into your decision if you are like most of us - if that is the case - you can be very grateful that UofM is right next door to you.

You will find who fits the bill for you in short order - don't panic - just do a little research and you'll the team that is right for you.

After being on this site for a while now, I can see that is extremely important to have an experienced surgeon and oncology team - medical professionals who actually have experience with EC. I have read almost every single post on this site (going back as far as the first post that I could find on this site) and I can see that these patients have been to a lot of different surgeons and oncologists - there are some who have had the same doctors/surgeons - but most of us are spread all around and there are a lot of satisfied people across the U.S.

There is also another caregiver that goes by fighting4popi (I think I spelled that right) and they are located near Detroit and are going to a facility over there and they are very satisfied and are nearing a date for surgery.

We were happy to drive back and forth to Ann Arbor everyday for radiation and chemo, but Dr. Reddy said it would be much more convenient to do that closer to home and he suggested West Michigan Cancer Center located in both Kalamazoo and Battle Creek. Kzoo had the first opening and we took it.

I believe Univ of Mich has a cancer center satellite office somewhere in Jackson. If possible, I would try to get a referral to Dr. Reddy or one of his teammates asap and they will set you up from there. It seemed weird to me that we would see the surgeon before the radiologist and chemo oncologist - but it turns out that is quite normal also.

Please keep us posted and when you have time - could we have some information about you and/or the survivor? Diagnosis? What were the symptoms? Do you know the stage? What tests have already been done. Anything that you think would help us know you and your situation better.

You have really come to the right place - this site has been a lifesaver for us and you will get soooo much help.

Welcome aboard,
    Judy

Below is the contact info for University of Michigab your reference:

University of Michigan
    Section of Thoracic Surgery
    1500 E. Medical Center Dr.
    2120 Taubman Center
    Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5344
    (734) 936-4973

The Section of Thoracic Surgery provides comprehensive outpatient and inpatient services, both diagnostic and therapeutic, for patients with non-cardiac surgical diseases of the chest. Thoracoscopic (video-assisted) thoracic surgery is performed routinely for lung and pleural biopsies and the treatment of hyperhidrosis by sympathectomy.

Phone Numbers
    Patient Appointments
    (734) 936-4973

Mark B. Orringer, MD
    (734) 936-4975

Andrew Chang, MD, Section Head
    (734) 763-7418

Jules Lin, MD
    (734) 763-0470

Rishindra Reddy, MD
    (734) 763-7337
  • hdwchisholm
    hdwchisholm Member Posts: 20
    BobHaze said:

Dr. Luketich
    I agree with Paul that Dr. Luletich is a resource to consider, even if you don’t use him as a surgeon. What I mean is that when I was diagnosed, the GI doc who had done my EUS (Endoscopic Ultra Sound – a vital step in the staging process) at Massachusetts General Hospital said I was early Stage 1 and a good candidate for a Minimally Invasive Esophagectomy (MIE), which is definitely the procedure of choice for those who are candidates. He also recommended a thoracic surgeon at Mass General who he said is very experienced with this complicated procedure. I took his advice to heart but decided, on advice from this Board, to research surgeons who were both board certified and EXPERIENCED in the MIE procedure and, again partly on advice from this Board, I wanted some link to Dr. Luketich, who pioneered this procedure.

For insurance reasons I had to start my research with the list of in-network thoracic surgeons provided by my insurance plan. I looked at each one carefully online and found that none was certified to perform an Esophagectomy (they were all cardiac and/or pediatric thoracic surgeons), which I immediately informed my insurance plan. They looked at my research and agreed that they didn’t have anyone who could do this procedure, and they said to find an appropriate surgeon and request an out-of-network referral. I then looked at Dr. Christopher Morse at Mass General, the guy who was recommended by the GI doc in the first place, and I found that not only has he performed hundreds of MIE’s, but he trained 8 years ago in a fellowship at the University of Pittsburg Medical Center (UPMC) under Dr. Luketich, specifically to learn and become certified in the MIE procedure. My wife and I met with Dr. Morse, we liked and were comfortable with him and his answers to our questions, and that’s the way we went. And I’ve been entirely satisfied with him and how he’s managed my surgery and my recovery ever since. My comfort level with him was influenced in no small part by his connection to Dt. Luketich.

I’m sure there are plenty of competent surgeons around the country who are qualified to and experienced in MIE’s but have no connection to Dr. Luketich, but in my case it was a factor. I think the most important thing for any EC patient who has been determined to be a surgical candidate is to find a surgeon who is EXPERIENCED in whatever procedure has been prescribed…by the original doctor AND by at least a second opinion and maybe a third. I think it might be a mistake to accept the word of a well-intended surgeon at some small regional hospital who tells you you need Ivor Lewis surgery, “But don’t worry, I did a couple during my residency.” EC a very serious disease and Esophagectomy is a very serious and very complicated procedure with life-long an dlife style consequences, and it’s important to find a major cancer center with surgeons who are experienced in this specific procedure – again, MIE if you’re a candidate.

Good luck with your search. You made a good choice already by reaching out to this board. There are lots of folks here who are much more experienced than I and are ready to give you general and specific suggestions.

Bob
    T1aN0M0
    Dx 8/3/11
    MIE 9/23/11

Boston Doctors
    Bob, I am a throat cancer survivor though I am doing research for my 21 year old son who has a non cancerous esophageal trauma from a caustic substance. Someone put a lye based product into his beer. The Cleveland doctors feel that after 6 months surgery will be needed. Besides Dr Luketich, whom we are seeing on the 31st, we have been referred to a Dr Sugarbaker at Brigham Womens Hospital in Boston. In your research, did you find any information about Dr Sugarbaker? How are you doing? It has been 4 months since your surgery. Have there been any complications? Thank you for posting your experiences and knowledge. Best, Homer
  • BobHaze
    BobHaze Member Posts: 163 Member

Boston Doctors
    Bob, I am a throat cancer survivor though I am doing research for my 21 year old son who has a non cancerous esophageal trauma from a caustic substance. Someone put a lye based product into his beer. The Cleveland doctors feel that after 6 months surgery will be needed. Besides Dr Luketich, whom we are seeing on the 31st, we have been referred to a Dr Sugarbaker at Brigham Womens Hospital in Boston. In your research, did you find any information about Dr Sugarbaker? How are you doing? It has been 4 months since your surgery. Have there been any complications? Thank you for posting your experiences and knowledge. Best, Homer

Boston doctors
    I'm not familiar with Dr. Sugarbaker. My surgery was at Mass General by Dr. Chris Morse, who is a great guy and a thoracic surgeon and very experienced with the MIE procedure (he trained under Dr. Liketich some years ago at UPMC). I was also referred to Dr. Raphael Bueno at Brigham and Women’s Hospital, but my wife and I were very pleased with Dr. Morse when we met and researched him. I've had no surgical complications and am doing quite well. I'm experiencing many of the typical dietary/digestive issues that often result from gastric surgery, but nothing major.

I'm sorry to hear about your son. How aweful to be assaulted like that! If you're looking at surgeons in Boston I'd definitely recommend you talk to Chris Morse. Good luck to you and your son!

Bob
    T1aN0M0
    Dx 8/3/11
    MIE 9/23/11