New doctor and not happy with my care so far

I have recently recurred and midway through treatment my oncologist retired. I am not very happy with his replacement. I want to switch to a new cancer center/medical center, but have very limited options in my area. I don't feel very cared for currently. I have had to correct too many mistakes with the pre-meds I receive with chemo and I have a difficult time even getting a return call from the nurse when I need it. They have way too many patients and I feel I have to recap my treatment history every time I meet with my oncologist. She thought I was at treatment 5, but I was at 6. Is this normal? I hate to think that it is.

Comments

• carolenk
    carolenk Member Posts: 907 Member
    I think there is a shortage
    I think there is a shortage of gyn/oncs everywhere. If you are not near a big teaching hospital, I suppose your experience is closer to the norm. Do you think you might consider a medical oncologist instead of a gyn/onc?
  • Barneygirl
    Barneygirl Member Posts: 90
    carolenk said:

I think there is a shortage
    I think there is a shortage of gyn/oncs everywhere. If you are not near a big teaching hospital, I suppose your experience is closer to the norm. Do you think you might consider a medical oncologist instead of a gyn/onc?

My experience is with a
    My experience is with a teaching/university hospital. I would definitely consider a medical oncologist.
  • TiggersDoBounce
    TiggersDoBounce Member Posts: 408
    BarneyGirl
    Where are you being treated??

Laurie
  • mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    ARE YOU IN OR NEAR MICHIGAN?
    Let me know - I would have a very good recommendation for you. Some women even travel several hours to see my gyn/onc. I've been seeing him since the beginning (2000) and would hate to think of him retiring or moving. I couldn't think of going to anyone else.

(((HUGS)))
    Monika
  • Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    After my doctor retired, it
    After my doctor retired, it was a nightmare. I stayed with the group he eventually went into, but they could have cared less about me. Like you said, I had to repeat what I had, etc. etc. I then sought out another hospital. Found a doctor who used to be with the new doctor but after awhile this doctor was putting me back with that same one. I ended up going 3 hours away to another facility. I am not suggesting this especially if you need additional treatment.

Since my doctor is 3 hours away, my local hospitals (I tried 4) refused to flush my port. They were doing it for awhile, but then said they wouldn't do it anymore. And it was hard getting certain tests done too.

My best to you. I hope you find a doctor you are comfortable with.
  • whiterose
    whiterose Member Posts: 89
    Do You Think
    Do you think she is overwhelmed at the moment and wouldn't come around eventually? I'm sorry for your situation, it must be very difficult to have to change doctors. My gyn/onc did my surgery, but he isn't the doctor I see for my routine care. That doctor is a medical oncologist. I only see the gyn/onc about 4 times a year, and he does the pelvic exam and reviews the results of all the treatments the med/onc does. I thought this was typical, but maybe not. I think my med/onc also sees patients with other types of cancers, but he seems to know quite a bit about ov/ca, and answers all my questions, and I ask a lot. I actually feel quite cared for, with two doctors putting their heads together about my treatment. If my med/onc retired, I would probably go with one of the other doctors in his practice, there's a woman I'd be interested in seeing, my feeling is that she would be more sympathetic since she is a woman. Who knows?

Both of my doctors have great Nurse Practitioners, they seem to know almost as much as the doctors! My hat is off to these great women, they are kind, caring and compassionate.....

Good luck to you, and I hope you find someone you're comfortable with.....

Sue
  • Barneygirl
    Barneygirl Member Posts: 90
    whiterose said:

Do You Think
    Do you think she is overwhelmed at the moment and wouldn't come around eventually? I'm sorry for your situation, it must be very difficult to have to change doctors. My gyn/onc did my surgery, but he isn't the doctor I see for my routine care. That doctor is a medical oncologist. I only see the gyn/onc about 4 times a year, and he does the pelvic exam and reviews the results of all the treatments the med/onc does. I thought this was typical, but maybe not. I think my med/onc also sees patients with other types of cancers, but he seems to know quite a bit about ov/ca, and answers all my questions, and I ask a lot. I actually feel quite cared for, with two doctors putting their heads together about my treatment. If my med/onc retired, I would probably go with one of the other doctors in his practice, there's a woman I'd be interested in seeing, my feeling is that she would be more sympathetic since she is a woman. Who knows?

Both of my doctors have great Nurse Practitioners, they seem to know almost as much as the doctors! My hat is off to these great women, they are kind, caring and compassionate.....

Good luck to you, and I hope you find someone you're comfortable with.....

Sue

Perhaps she is overwhelmed
    Perhaps she is overwhelmed at the moment. She probably had to take on several new patients when my onc retired and that may be why she seems so scattered. I'll see if things improve over the next few months. I hate the idea of switching to a new facility. I live in VA, but could easily get to DC or even Baltimore, if needed.