day 6 post surgery not so good/ crying rant

girlypants
girlypants Member Posts: 31
So no one told me I should try to bend down to pick something up. I dropped a chip, thought if I bend slowly I would be able to get it, yeah well didnt occur to me that my legs would give out and I would fall. More so tuck and roll onto the good side of me. Ended up laying there till dad came home to help, like 20 min. Dont think any damage was done. Been feeling okay, always thought if I hurt something I would of felt it. Not the best way to start the day. Then to top it off, I got a tickle in my throat and coughed, now that is pain. Tried to just choke and hold it in for the 5 minute attack. ugh. Wish I didnt have stitches all over.
Only thing different I have noticed before the fall was one of the incisions looks not as closed up as the rest of them. Looks fine but not the same as the others. Everything feels okay for healing. Only really noticeable thing is a slight itch by the belly button stitches. I cant see them cuz they are covered but doesnt itching a bit mean it is healing? Anyone have problems standing back up? Today was rough. Not looking forward to night time, they are usually very restless and long. I cant sleep at all. I nap a lot of the day and lay around. I am definitely going to rest more tmrw because today was lame.
How long did it take for pathology to get the results back to peoples doctor? My surgeon said it looked like cancer, but my follow up isnt until the third, that is a week away. Surgery was on the 19th. Guess I am just super scared to know what grade the cancer is. I just want to know my odds on life. Not a fun feeling at 28 that I already have cancer and cant seem to even get my life going. Guess today has been emotional too. Been in tears most of the day feeling just sad that I could have a short life and feel like I am failing. What if the cells spread to other organs and I am doomed. What if I get cancer again somewhere else? Why would the surgeon postpone the appt so long, is the news bad then or good? It was a 4cm tumor size of a gold ball probably in the early stages but I want answers. Does everyone have such a roller coaster of emotions? Well I am just going to cry myself to sleep, or until I run out of mindless tv about fabulous lives of the rich with not a worry in the world.
- Amber

:(

Comments

• cww71964
    cww71964 Member Posts: 97
    I feel your pain
    Hi Amber,

I am going through a lot of the same feelings as you. Today marked 8 days. I have just been careful and moved very slow so not to fall. I almost tripped over my dog in the middle of the night when I got up to pee. My wait is similar to yours, my appt is on the 30th. I think mine is that far so that they can remove the staples at that time, yours is probably in advance for the same reason. My doctor said about a week for the path report so I could call and check but will wait until my appt. My mass was 4-5cm, about same as yours, and my dr. Assured me it was all contained in the kidney and there was no sign of spread, I am sure you are the same. Try your best to relax and let your body heal from the surgery. You are young, they caught it early, you will have many,many years to come. This is a tough time for all of us but we will be stronger in the end.

Take care and God bless,
    Wayne
  • girlypants
    swelling
    were people stuff super puffy a week after with a super achy back?
  • girlypants
    cww71964 said:

I feel your pain
    Hi Amber,

I am going through a lot of the same feelings as you. Today marked 8 days. I have just been careful and moved very slow so not to fall. I almost tripped over my dog in the middle of the night when I got up to pee. My wait is similar to yours, my appt is on the 30th. I think mine is that far so that they can remove the staples at that time, yours is probably in advance for the same reason. My doctor said about a week for the path report so I could call and check but will wait until my appt. My mass was 4-5cm, about same as yours, and my dr. Assured me it was all contained in the kidney and there was no sign of spread, I am sure you are the same. Try your best to relax and let your body heal from the surgery. You are young, they caught it early, you will have many,many years to come. This is a tough time for all of us but we will be stronger in the end.

Take care and God bless,
    Wayne

glad I am not going crazy
    Sounds like we had the same kidney chopped up. He said there were great margins and got the whole thing. My fear is probably an unrealistic one of it microscopically spreading. There are just so many unknowns. I can relax decently during the day, night time is just bad. The texts stop, friends and Dad go to sleep. Just me, my room, and my thoughts. A very somber alone time. Never thought I would ever say wish I was married with Kids for company. How you feeling after the surgery? My back is killing me! so stiff, cant stand all the way cuz it hurts to much. Also have yet to configure my pillows to feel comfortable and supported.
  • cww71964

swelling
    were people stuff super puffy a week after with a super achy back?

My puffiness has really gone
    My puffiness has really gone down in the last few days. My back hurts a bit. I think in my case it is from not walking straight up, sort of stooped over because of my incision. It is getting better as I have been concentrating on keeping my back straight. Hang in there Girly.
  • icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    cww71964 said:

My puffiness has really gone
    My puffiness has really gone down in the last few days. My back hurts a bit. I think in my case it is from not walking straight up, sort of stooped over because of my incision. It is getting better as I have been concentrating on keeping my back straight. Hang in there Girly.

Not fun
    Amber and Wayne,

Sorry for the initiation. Nobody said it was easy. In a few weeks you will be laughing about todays discomforts. It gets better every day. Really.

Best wishes,

Iceantoo
  • Texas_wedge
    Texas_wedge Member Posts: 2,798
    icemantoo said:

Not fun
    Amber and Wayne,

Sorry for the initiation. Nobody said it was easy. In a few weeks you will be laughing about todays discomforts. It gets better every day. Really.

Best wishes,

Iceantoo

Your long, happy future
    Amber, you asked "Does everyone have such a roller coaster of emotions?" Yes, most of us do. Back-ache - understandable. Puffiness - I was in for 6 days and hardly ate at all but came out so puffed up - I was 8 lbs heavier than when I went in. Now, after seven and a half weeks I'm about 7 lbs lighter than when I went in and feeling fine.

My op. was on 5th December and I won't have full detail of my path. report until 9th Feb. (I'm in the UK). I've had some of the good news and some of the other kind already but not the whole picture so it's not easy to avoid worrying. You're not having long to wait and I'm sure yours will be all good news - it is so far from what you've told us.

Trust the judgment of your doctors and the old iceman, who's seen it all.

A word of advice, though. You say you're planning to rest more. Resting is essential and do make sure you get enough. However, some (gentle and careful) exercise will help you a lot. Gentle daily exercise will improve your mood, help you not to worry as much and help with the back pain and the sleeping. The best thing for you right now will probably be slow and careful walking, gradually increasing as the days and weeks roll by.

Iceman was telling it true when he said "In a few weeks you will be laughing about todays discomforts."

Get those pillows sorted out and remember you've got a very long and, I hope, happy life ahead.
  • Texas_wedge

Your long, happy future
    Amber, you asked "Does everyone have such a roller coaster of emotions?" Yes, most of us do. Back-ache - understandable. Puffiness - I was in for 6 days and hardly ate at all but came out so puffed up - I was 8 lbs heavier than when I went in. Now, after seven and a half weeks I'm about 7 lbs lighter than when I went in and feeling fine.

My op. was on 5th December and I won't have full detail of my path. report until 9th Feb. (I'm in the UK). I've had some of the good news and some of the other kind already but not the whole picture so it's not easy to avoid worrying. You're not having long to wait and I'm sure yours will be all good news - it is so far from what you've told us.

Trust the judgment of your doctors and the old iceman, who's seen it all.

A word of advice, though. You say you're planning to rest more. Resting is essential and do make sure you get enough. However, some (gentle and careful) exercise will help you a lot. Gentle daily exercise will improve your mood, help you not to worry as much and help with the back pain and the sleeping. The best thing for you right now will probably be slow and careful walking, gradually increasing as the days and weeks roll by.

Iceman was telling it true when he said "In a few weeks you will be laughing about todays discomforts."

Get those pillows sorted out and remember you've got a very long and, I hope, happy life ahead.

Hypertension
    Wayne, I hope you're quickly through the worst of it. As iceman always says, it gets steadily, and surprisingly quickly, better after the nasty early days.

I'm very interested in the subject of blood pressure so I wonder if you could tell me what yours has been and how it has been measured, who by and how often? Have you had any ambulatory recordings? Everything here is anonymous but I'll quite understand if you don't want to say or just can't be bothered, with much more important things going on! However, if you care to share that info. I'd be grateful.
  • braswelm
    braswelm Member Posts: 41
    icemantoo said:

Not fun
    Amber and Wayne,

Best wishes,

Iceantoo

Listen to the Iceman
    Amber and Wayne,
    Really, listen to anything the iceman tells you, he has been around here for years.
    Once you get past the first couple of weeks, it really does improve quickly.
    I had surgery on 11/23, and basically can do anything now that I was doing before surgery.
    Just take it easy the first 4-6 weeks and you'll be fine.
    Mike
  • foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    braswelm said:

Listen to the Iceman
    Amber and Wayne,
    Really, listen to anything the iceman tells you, he has been around here for years.
    Once you get past the first couple of weeks, it really does improve quickly.
    I had surgery on 11/23, and basically can do anything now that I was doing before surgery.
    Just take it easy the first 4-6 weeks and you'll be fine.
    Mike

Amber and Wayne
    What are you talking about? A few weeks off from work, people waiting on you, lounging in pajamas, watching tv...sounds like a Kardashian show...Hope I got a little smile from you. No? How about now?

As reported, initial recovery is not fun. Scarey as hell afraid that you could be dying. Your body has been traumatized and it knows it. You cannot heal faster worrying. It will take time. Pain and puffiness will resolve. Now think about how lucky you are to have had your cancer found, tumor removed, and that you will be carefully followed by your doctors.

Think positive. Doc's and nurses did their part. Now you have to do yours. No picking nickles off the floor. Practice good mechanics when you stand. Try to walk pretty. Give your body positive feedback. It helps it return to normal. Don't push. Stay on board. Express yourself. Follow advice from others here. We have all been through it.

Remember, FLY

Fox loves you!!
  • garym
    garym Member Posts: 1,647
    foxhd said:

Amber and Wayne
    What are you talking about? A few weeks off from work, people waiting on you, lounging in pajamas, watching tv...sounds like a Kardashian show...Hope I got a little smile from you. No? How about now?

As reported, initial recovery is not fun. Scarey as hell afraid that you could be dying. Your body has been traumatized and it knows it. You cannot heal faster worrying. It will take time. Pain and puffiness will resolve. Now think about how lucky you are to have had your cancer found, tumor removed, and that you will be carefully followed by your doctors.

Think positive. Doc's and nurses did their part. Now you have to do yours. No picking nickles off the floor. Practice good mechanics when you stand. Try to walk pretty. Give your body positive feedback. It helps it return to normal. Don't push. Stay on board. Express yourself. Follow advice from others here. We have all been through it.

Remember, FLY

Fox loves you!!

Fox is right...AGAIN
    Amber and Wayne,

You guys are about half way home, two weeks post-op seems to be a common point of relief and the start to the return of "normal" system and emotional functions. Your bodies and brains are dealing with issues and circumstances they were never exposed to before and it takes time to relearn and adjust, soon you will start feeling better quickly, but remember that complete healing can take many months.

Hang in there,

Gary
  • cww71964

Hypertension
    Wayne, I hope you're quickly through the worst of it. As iceman always says, it gets steadily, and surprisingly quickly, better after the nasty early days.

I'm very interested in the subject of blood pressure so I wonder if you could tell me what yours has been and how it has been measured, who by and how often? Have you had any ambulatory recordings? Everything here is anonymous but I'll quite understand if you don't want to say or just can't be bothered, with much more important things going on! However, if you care to share that info. I'd be grateful.

hypertension
    Hi TW,

I have had borderline hypertension for probably last 5 years. Mine was avg 135-140 over 80-85. I have always exercised and tried to eat well but my fondness of a cold brew or nice glass of wine would often cause my bp to rise. I went on medication about 4 years ago and that keep it in check. I met with my family dr. About a month before my surgery. She changed my med as she wanted it lower as I would soon be left with one kidney. The new meds brought it down a little avg 130/80. After my surgery it has dropped. It is avg 110-120/ 68-75. It makes me wonder if the cancer was causing some of my bp issues.

Are you from TX ? If so, what took you over the pond?

Wayne
  • Jamie1.3cm
    Jamie1.3cm Member Posts: 188
    garym said:

Fox is right...AGAIN
    Amber and Wayne,

You guys are about half way home, two weeks post-op seems to be a common point of relief and the start to the return of "normal" system and emotional functions. Your bodies and brains are dealing with issues and circumstances they were never exposed to before and it takes time to relearn and adjust, soon you will start feeling better quickly, but remember that complete healing can take many months.

Hang in there,

Gary

First days at home
    I do remember only sleeping in 2-4 hour segments, being awake for 20 min to an hour, and then back to sleeping 2-4 hrs. And moving from one thing to other helped my back: bed, chair, couch, bed, chair, couch. Use a shower chair if you're uncomfortable standing for too long in the shower. Do get in some walks.

Don't forget that there IS such a thing as post-surgical depression. It's the effects of the anesthesia and pain meds. It will pass. Drink lots of water to flush your system.

I got my pathology back in about 4 days. You should also have a follow up with your surgeon about 10 days after surgery. He/She can then check out the swelling.

Your tumor was small enough to not be a big risk for metastasis. On an intellectual level, we understand that. But on an emotional level, I know it's hard to feel secure.

Keep posting. Keep a journal. Some day long in the future, you'll find these days hard to remember.
  • snydergirl
    snydergirl Member Posts: 15

First days at home
    I do remember only sleeping in 2-4 hour segments, being awake for 20 min to an hour, and then back to sleeping 2-4 hrs. And moving from one thing to other helped my back: bed, chair, couch, bed, chair, couch. Use a shower chair if you're uncomfortable standing for too long in the shower. Do get in some walks.

Don't forget that there IS such a thing as post-surgical depression. It's the effects of the anesthesia and pain meds. It will pass. Drink lots of water to flush your system.

I got my pathology back in about 4 days. You should also have a follow up with your surgeon about 10 days after surgery. He/She can then check out the swelling.

Your tumor was small enough to not be a big risk for metastasis. On an intellectual level, we understand that. But on an emotional level, I know it's hard to feel secure.

Keep posting. Keep a journal. Some day long in the future, you'll find these days hard to remember.

David is 4 weeks post
    David is 4 weeks post surgery, biggest issues are back pain, still no appetite and gas. I am hoping his body starts tot adjust soon, he has a good day, then a a bad day, he is walking every day. The appetite bothers me, mainly because it is symptomatic of the disease.
  • Jamie1.3cm
    Jamie1.3cm Member Posts: 188

David is 4 weeks post
    David is 4 weeks post surgery, biggest issues are back pain, still no appetite and gas. I am hoping his body starts tot adjust soon, he has a good day, then a a bad day, he is walking every day. The appetite bothers me, mainly because it is symptomatic of the disease.

no appetite
    Snydergirl, loss of appetite is also related to pain meds. Is he still on the pain meds? If he's passing gas, then he doesn't have a blockage, which is the main worry post-surgery. I do remember the good day/bad day weeks. And remember you can always call your surgeon/urologist if you're worried about too much pain. Mine was open surgery, and I was still on pain meds at 5 weeks. But it was sliced abdominals that were most painful for me, not my back.
  • icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member

no appetite
    Snydergirl, loss of appetite is also related to pain meds. Is he still on the pain meds? If he's passing gas, then he doesn't have a blockage, which is the main worry post-surgery. I do remember the good day/bad day weeks. And remember you can always call your surgeon/urologist if you're worried about too much pain. Mine was open surgery, and I was still on pain meds at 5 weeks. But it was sliced abdominals that were most painful for me, not my back.

Eight days
    It has now been 8 days since Amber's surgery. Hopefully sh is feeling a lot better than after 6 days.

Icemantoo
  • Texas_wedge
    cww71964 said:

hypertension
    Hi TW,

I have had borderline hypertension for probably last 5 years. Mine was avg 135-140 over 80-85. I have always exercised and tried to eat well but my fondness of a cold brew or nice glass of wine would often cause my bp to rise. I went on medication about 4 years ago and that keep it in check. I met with my family dr. About a month before my surgery. She changed my med as she wanted it lower as I would soon be left with one kidney. The new meds brought it down a little avg 130/80. After my surgery it has dropped. It is avg 110-120/ 68-75. It makes me wonder if the cancer was causing some of my bp issues.

Are you from TX ? If so, what took you over the pond?

Wayne

Hypertension and Texas
    Wayne, that IS pretty borderline. LIke you, I've always exercised plenty and am never ill and also like you got the lowdown after a CT for blood in urine which was initially expected to be an infection, then a kidney stone.

In my pre-op assessment my systolic was in the 160s which disturbed me. However that was after driving for about 45 minutes and walking 1/2 mile to the clinic. Then the nurse said maybe my high reading was due to her. I'm terribly naive and hastily said I was sure it wasn't - thinking she meant that she'd not taken the reading correctly - only when I got home did I realise how ungallant my remark was. Still, I guess it's a stock line which others have also not got at the time. I was borderline for surgery at that level but the lesion was 8cm and I was judged exceptionally fit so they reckoned it was best to go ahead. By the way, how are you doing now, a couple of weeks post-op? Well I hope - being fit will have helped you to cope and to pick up quicker.

BP monitoring is a pretty inexact art and so reaching dependable conclusions is difficult. Like you, I wondered whether the cancer might account for higher BP and I think the jury is still out on that one - we are all so different which makes it trickier to know.

I'm guessing you're not a golfer. I've never been further south than NY (apart from southern Turkey and South Africa). I was born and bred in north London and have lived most of my life in Scotland. It's 11 a.m. here and brilliantly sunny but the water I put out for the birds yesterday is still frozen solid. This climate suits me fine - I had very red hair and corresponding skin. If we don't get snow meantime, I'll likely play golf in shirtsleeves tomorrow. So Texas would probably kill me (even though my BP would probably fall in the heat!).

"Texas wedge" is a golfing term due to a Texan Ben Hogan (arguably the greatest golfer of all time and certainly in the top handful). It refers to using your putter from the sort of distance at which you would normally use the kind of short iron club called a wedge. It's a speciality of mine - in the right circumstances I'll putt from anything up to about 110 yards.

So, it's fun and amuses me that people address me as Texas or Tex as I sit in this frozen landscape!
  • cww71964

Hypertension and Texas
    Wayne, that IS pretty borderline. LIke you, I've always exercised plenty and am never ill and also like you got the lowdown after a CT for blood in urine which was initially expected to be an infection, then a kidney stone.

In my pre-op assessment my systolic was in the 160s which disturbed me. However that was after driving for about 45 minutes and walking 1/2 mile to the clinic. Then the nurse said maybe my high reading was due to her. I'm terribly naive and hastily said I was sure it wasn't - thinking she meant that she'd not taken the reading correctly - only when I got home did I realise how ungallant my remark was. Still, I guess it's a stock line which others have also not got at the time. I was borderline for surgery at that level but the lesion was 8cm and I was judged exceptionally fit so they reckoned it was best to go ahead. By the way, how are you doing now, a couple of weeks post-op? Well I hope - being fit will have helped you to cope and to pick up quicker.

BP monitoring is a pretty inexact art and so reaching dependable conclusions is difficult. Like you, I wondered whether the cancer might account for higher BP and I think the jury is still out on that one - we are all so different which makes it trickier to know.

I'm guessing you're not a golfer. I've never been further south than NY (apart from southern Turkey and South Africa). I was born and bred in north London and have lived most of my life in Scotland. It's 11 a.m. here and brilliantly sunny but the water I put out for the birds yesterday is still frozen solid. This climate suits me fine - I had very red hair and corresponding skin. If we don't get snow meantime, I'll likely play golf in shirtsleeves tomorrow. So Texas would probably kill me (even though my BP would probably fall in the heat!).

"Texas wedge" is a golfing term due to a Texan Ben Hogan (arguably the greatest golfer of all time and certainly in the top handful). It refers to using your putter from the sort of distance at which you would normally use the kind of short iron club called a wedge. It's a speciality of mine - in the right circumstances I'll putt from anything up to about 110 yards.

So, it's fun and amuses me that people address me as Texas or Tex as I sit in this frozen landscape!

golf and stuff
    Hi TW,
    I am feeling pretty good. I have been walking 2-3 miles a day, feels really good to get the fresh air in your lungs. .I live in northern Nevada, near Lake Tahoe, at about 5k feet elevation. It has been unseasonably warm and snow has been sparse, especially compared to record snow last year. We need the snow but to be honest, the lack of has made me not feel to bad about not being able to ski,which I love. I do enjoy golf, actually live across the street from a decent course. I haven't had them time to dedicate to playing often nor am I a natural talent, so my scores are numbers I would like to live to be? I vacationed in Hawaii in September and played there which was great. Instead of using my putter from wedge distance, I prefer my 8. I actually chipped one in from about 50 yards in Hawaii, unfortunately it was only for par. Prior to moving here, I lived near Pebble Beach. I never played it though I did often go for lunch and also attended 2 US Opens. I did get a chance to hack up Spyglass a few times.

How are you feeling? How long post op before you started swinging clubs? Do you find yourself swinging easier than you normally would?

Best wishes for health and low scores,
    Wayne
  • Texas_wedge
    cww71964 said:

golf and stuff
    Hi TW,
    I am feeling pretty good. I have been walking 2-3 miles a day, feels really good to get the fresh air in your lungs. .I live in northern Nevada, near Lake Tahoe, at about 5k feet elevation. It has been unseasonably warm and snow has been sparse, especially compared to record snow last year. We need the snow but to be honest, the lack of has made me not feel to bad about not being able to ski,which I love. I do enjoy golf, actually live across the street from a decent course. I haven't had them time to dedicate to playing often nor am I a natural talent, so my scores are numbers I would like to live to be? I vacationed in Hawaii in September and played there which was great. Instead of using my putter from wedge distance, I prefer my 8. I actually chipped one in from about 50 yards in Hawaii, unfortunately it was only for par. Prior to moving here, I lived near Pebble Beach. I never played it though I did often go for lunch and also attended 2 US Opens. I did get a chance to hack up Spyglass a few times.

How are you feeling? How long post op before you started swinging clubs? Do you find yourself swinging easier than you normally would?

Best wishes for health and low scores,
    Wayne

golf and stuff
    Wayne, I feel pretty lucky to live where I do but I bet you have spectacular scenery where you are! If you've gone to a couple of US Opens and played Spyglass, you obviously know a lot more about golf than I surmised.

Glad to hear you're feeling good and getting in some decent walks. I'm curious to know why you need snow (unless it's just for the skiing). I started swinging exactly 6 weeks after my op. Perhaps unwisely, I started by hitting some drives at Carnoustie - after all, the driver is the lightest club! I've been round 4 times this week. This morning, on a parkland course, I won 3 & 2 in my first match since a week or so before my op. on 5th Dec. Unfortunately I know only one way to play golf and that's flat out with every club from driver to X wedge - no finesse at all! Anyway I feel great and just wish how good I feel was a reliable guide to how I really am, which I'll find out on Thursday. Whatever that turns out to be, like Fox, I'm determined that when I go I'll be the fittest I've ever been.

I hope you're able to ski before too much longer (but I suppose it's not the first way the surgeons would recommend for passing the time!?) and I hope you get good snow for it.

TW
  • Texas_wedge

no appetite

Blockage
    Jamie, you're entirely correct about the gas but I rather suspect my Wife would prefer me to have the blockage. What a gas!!