If your port stopped drawing...what were you told???? UPDATE!!!!!!

2»

Comments

• plh4gail
    plh4gail Member Posts: 1,238 Member
    pepebcn said:

My port works properly in every direction but honestly
    never in 3 years it's never used to drawing blood only oncology nurses are allowed to manipulate ports, so any lab or infusion has been don always through vein infections an malfunctions are consider too common to manipulate it just for a simple blood work !

We always access patients
    We always access patients ports in the ER. There is a protocol to use, we are taught to do it, and we use it if that is what the patient wants. They don't always draw back blood and those that are tricky in that way...well there are things you can do sometimes as simple as repositioning the pt (sitting up straight, reclining position, even change the position of the arm). And once in awhile it just wont draw back. But not very often. That was my experience accessing ports as a nurse in the ER. It's very easy and a sterile technique.

For myself as the patient, mine didn't always draw back at chemo but still flushed easily and was used for chemo, it got activased once. But mine did not hurt. And at Stanford they refused to use it when I had any surgeries or proceedures. Said its not done there and required a specific nurse.

I hope you get your port issue worked out :)

plh4gail
  • idlehunters
    idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787 Member
    plh4gail said:

We always access patients
    We always access patients ports in the ER. There is a protocol to use, we are taught to do it, and we use it if that is what the patient wants. They don't always draw back blood and those that are tricky in that way...well there are things you can do sometimes as simple as repositioning the pt (sitting up straight, reclining position, even change the position of the arm). And once in awhile it just wont draw back. But not very often. That was my experience accessing ports as a nurse in the ER. It's very easy and a sterile technique.

For myself as the patient, mine didn't always draw back at chemo but still flushed easily and was used for chemo, it got activased once. But mine did not hurt. And at Stanford they refused to use it when I had any surgeries or proceedures. Said its not done there and required a specific nurse.

I hope you get your port issue worked out :)

plh4gail

Got JENNIE with it!!!!
    Yep.... Had enough BS and decided that since ALL of these people work for me that i am getting what i want till i am satisfied with the answer. I filed a major complaint about that nurse who made me feel so stupid. She has already called me with an apology. Good. I made sure she knew that i was a major tattletale so she better watch her stuff. I have an appointment tomorrow morning for that dye to be put in port. Onc got on that immediately. Thanks Tina... Craig... And all you guys for making me see I deserve better care and shame on them!!! Luv u all. Jennie
  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member

Got JENNIE with it!!!!
    Yep.... Had enough BS and decided that since ALL of these people work for me that i am getting what i want till i am satisfied with the answer. I filed a major complaint about that nurse who made me feel so stupid. She has already called me with an apology. Good. I made sure she knew that i was a major tattletale so she better watch her stuff. I have an appointment tomorrow morning for that dye to be put in port. Onc got on that immediately. Thanks Tina... Craig... And all you guys for making me see I deserve better care and shame on them!!! Luv u all. Jennie

Dye in the port?
    Well, being pushy isn't like you at all. You don't suppose that
    you're feeling too much of that medical crack cocaine, huh?
    (har har)

Usually they'll ingest some blood thinner (clot buster) into the
    device and allow it to work.

I have a PICC line, which is about the same as a port, without
    the lil' bag under the skin. I have to service and maintain the
    stupid thing myself. It's usually required to inject some Heparin
    at the end of the infusion (I take hydration via the PICC daily).
    The Heparin dissolves any blood that may be clotting at the tip,
    and keeps the valve clean.

I have reduced the Heparin to once or twice weekly, since I don't
    need to thin out my blood more than it is already....

They should first try Heparin, or Activase, or whatever they
    have that can dispel the clot. Injecting dye and going through
    all of that procedure is a great money-maker for them, but
    overkill if nothing else was tried first.

Your appointment should have been with an interventional radiologist
    (as Craig suggested), since they are the most informed and experienced
    with these things.

Honestly gal, you really do get a "treatment", ehh? I told you,
    that if you didn't tip them BIG BUX at the holidays that they'd
    find a way to get you.... See..... I was right. No tippie; no washie.

Good luck, and better health,

John
  • idlehunters
    idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787 Member
    John23 said:

Dye in the port?
    Well, being pushy isn't like you at all. You don't suppose that
    you're feeling too much of that medical crack cocaine, huh?
    (har har)

Usually they'll ingest some blood thinner (clot buster) into the
    device and allow it to work.

I have a PICC line, which is about the same as a port, without
    the lil' bag under the skin. I have to service and maintain the
    stupid thing myself. It's usually required to inject some Heparin
    at the end of the infusion (I take hydration via the PICC daily).
    The Heparin dissolves any blood that may be clotting at the tip,
    and keeps the valve clean.

I have reduced the Heparin to once or twice weekly, since I don't
    need to thin out my blood more than it is already....

They should first try Heparin, or Activase, or whatever they
    have that can dispel the clot. Injecting dye and going through
    all of that procedure is a great money-maker for them, but
    overkill if nothing else was tried first.

Your appointment should have been with an interventional radiologist
    (as Craig suggested), since they are the most informed and experienced
    with these things.

Honestly gal, you really do get a "treatment", ehh? I told you,
    that if you didn't tip them BIG BUX at the holidays that they'd
    find a way to get you.... See..... I was right. No tippie; no washie.

Good luck, and better health,

John

Johnnie.........
    I am about as pushy as you are! I do get Heparin every 2 weeks after my Vectibix which is why they are going the other route. I am getting the dye done at the radiology department at the hospital who I believe employ the qualified people needed to get the job done but if not my mild mannered self will prevail. As far as cost goes..... My monthly insurance rate is going to be the same no matter what procedure is done. Actually, it's cheaper at the hospital since there will be no doctor copay there. SOOOOO...you stand corrected. : ).

Better Health to ya

Jennie
  • Kenny H.
    Kenny H. Member Posts: 502 Member

Johnnie.........
    I am about as pushy as you are! I do get Heparin every 2 weeks after my Vectibix which is why they are going the other route. I am getting the dye done at the radiology department at the hospital who I believe employ the qualified people needed to get the job done but if not my mild mannered self will prevail. As far as cost goes..... My monthly insurance rate is going to be the same no matter what procedure is done. Actually, it's cheaper at the hospital since there will be no doctor copay there. SOOOOO...you stand corrected. : ).

Better Health to ya

Jennie

Get regular flushes with
    Get regular flushes with herapin and you shouldnt have any problems.. (at least I havent yet)
  • chemopt
    chemopt Member Posts: 1

BS answers about port?????
    I went in Friday for my Vectibix but onc was not there so I did not get to speak with him about my port. I normally just stop by the lab and have them draw from my arm but I wanted to be sure my port would not draw so I requested the draw from the port. Charge nurse right away demanded to know why I was requesting this when "she knows her port don't draw". I told her my concerns about my port and man did she get sour on me! She informed me that the surgeon installed that port for one purpose ONLY...... To receive medication. The ability to draw blood out of that port is a "side benefit" ONLY!!! Not the purpose nor the intent of the port so they therefor do not consider the port to be failing or defective in any way if it does not draw. I told her I wanted that stuff put in there to clean it out and she said "that's ONLY if you have blood clots and you don't have any blood clots" oh really...how the hell do you know that? You got some kind of X-ray vision that you can see in there and see that? She said..well you have no pain....she never even asked me if I had any pain. A few times a week I get sharp pinching pains in that area but never gave it much thought till now. She said she would send a message to the onc but he would not address it until my Jan 31 appointment since it is not an emergency. She made me feel like I was being stupid for even thinking I had a port problem. Phil, you said your port don't draw all the time ....... Is your port checked for clots...ever??? If not, why not? Am I overreacting about this port not drawing because that is how they are making me feel. I just want to know all is ok. I have read that once a port stops drawing it is a prelude to a total malfunction ...not always but in a lot of cases. I just feel like if I do maintenance on my port and keep it fine tuned that I may prevent having to get another. IS that wrong???

Jennie

Blocked Port = Big Problem

Looking at the date, this comment may be too late to be helpful, but I found the response from your nurse very worrisome. I do not know if it varies by the type of chemo, but I can tell you that my nurses WILL NOT administer the chemo through an iv or a port if they cannot get a blood return. If there is no blood return, they cannot be sure that the chemo is going into a vein and not into the surrounding flesh, where it can cause all kinds of problems (lesions, boils, gangrene, etc.). Before I got the port, they took out iv's and put in new ones if they stopped getting a blood return. My port stopped giving a blood return after the first chemical was administered today (it still flushed fine), so they stopped the treatment to give the "draino." After that, I got a blood return fine, and they could continue. Everyone from the chemo nurses to the nurses when the port was placed have stressed that a blockage is a bad thing that may require the port to be replaced. If this is still an issue, I would be very concerned about their response and want a second opinion!

• aggie0053
    aggie0053 Member Posts: 110
    port plugged

it just happened to me yesterday my 12th treatment they gave me an xray called a venography found like protein buildup . my chemo rn gave me a shot in the port to dissolve it about an hour, it worked

• dccomp1
    dccomp1 Member Posts: 1
    Kenny H. said:

Get regular flushes with
    Get regular flushes with herapin and you shouldnt have any problems.. (at least I havent yet)

What is wrong?

I hope someone can help me.  I have CLL; I had chemo two and a half years ago.  I have a chest port.

In the years of flushing (herapin), after chemo treatments, I never had any problems. Now it appears I will ungo chemo again in January, 2016.  My schedule has been flushing 3 months, and drawing blood for tests the fourth month.

My Problem: four months ago, after my flushing, I returned home.  That evening I has what I thought was the most severse case of flu I have experienced.  I really did not think too much about it.  Then after the next two months of flushing,  I experienced the very same reaction...that's three months in a row.  Finally, this week I had blood drawn for tests...and I experienced the same thing as the previous three months.  I have discussed this with my Oncologist twice, and he says he is unaware of anything that would casue this reaction.

I have asked the person doing the flushing had there been any changes in her solution.  She said no, still the same herapin.

If I must go through any six months of chemo, with whatever this problem is, I won't survive.  (my prior chemo schedule was three and half days a month for 6 months).

The only thing I can think of would be something wrong with the port.

Does anyone have/had experience with my problem?

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    dccomp1 said:

What is wrong?

I hope someone can help me.  I have CLL; I had chemo two and a half years ago.  I have a chest port.

In the years of flushing (herapin), after chemo treatments, I never had any problems. Now it appears I will ungo chemo again in January, 2016.  My schedule has been flushing 3 months, and drawing blood for tests the fourth month.

My Problem: four months ago, after my flushing, I returned home.  That evening I has what I thought was the most severse case of flu I have experienced.  I really did not think too much about it.  Then after the next two months of flushing,  I experienced the very same reaction...that's three months in a row.  Finally, this week I had blood drawn for tests...and I experienced the same thing as the previous three months.  I have discussed this with my Oncologist twice, and he says he is unaware of anything that would casue this reaction.

I have asked the person doing the flushing had there been any changes in her solution.  She said no, still the same herapin.

If I must go through any six months of chemo, with whatever this problem is, I won't survive.  (my prior chemo schedule was three and half days a month for 6 months).

A new thread

Dear new member, dccomp1. I think this question would be better addressed in a brand new thread, as this one is old and you require a response  all of your own. 

If you would like help posting a new thread, just PM me, or let me know here. Or I could start the thread and link you. 

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear your woes, but know that someone here is sure to have some helpful advice. 

Sue - Trubrit

• John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    dccomp1 said:

What is wrong?

OK…. This should be addressed on a new thread….

However, since the IT team of this Board appears to be unfamiliar with proper coding, we all are subject to being allowed to post to old posts.

The reaction you are having may be from a bacterial colonization on your port line.

Bacteria, once in your blood, can (and does) colonize on any type of catheter. Since your blood does not travel on the sheath of the catheter, any antibiotic will not kill that bacteria. When you take fluid of any type through the catheter, the bacteria gets into your blood immediately, and causes an immune system reaction.

I had that problem and cured it via Traditional Chinese Medicine. The standard protocol is to remove the catheter, administer an antibiotic for that specific bacteria, and hope for the best. The catheter should not be replaced until your blood work comes back clear of any bacterial infection.

Bah-Dah-Bing; Bah-dah-boom. Done.

Good luck. Oh…… and get yourself a physician that knows what the $%^&* he’s doing. There’s no reason for you to have had to go through all that this long.

Best to you,

John

• Helen321
    Helen321 Member Posts: 1,459 Member
    Trubrit said:

A new thread

Dear new member, dccomp1. I think this question would be better addressed in a brand new thread, as this one is old and you require a response  all of your own. 

If you would like help posting a new thread, just PM me, or let me know here. Or I could start the thread and link you. 

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear your woes, but know that someone here is sure to have some helpful advice. 

Sue - Trubrit

I so miss this whole crew

I so miss this whole crew <3

• kareed
    kareed Member Posts: 2
    Clot in lung

I was admitted to the hospital due to low platlet counts. I have a power port. The IV was allowed to run dry and blood was running back up the tube to the IV bag. I sat there for 2 hours that way. When they finally got back to me the Port was clogged. The IV therapist tried pushing saline back through the port. After 15 minutes of trying it finally went through but I got a bad pain in my neck where the port goes into the vein. A couple of weeks later I was told I had a small blood clot in my left lung. Tests were done showing I DO NOT have DVT. The clot had to of come from the clot pushed through my port. They want to keep me on Lovenox shots twice daily for the rest of my life. I think not. That is NOT quality of life. There is NO proof other than they caused the clot.

• kareed
    kareed Member Posts: 2
    dccomp1 said:

What is wrong?

Heperan

May be to late on this but you are having a reaction to Heperin. They use Sodium Citrate on me because of the same reaction you het.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Old thread New post

Hello Kareed - Welcome to the forum.

This is an old thread, and many of the folks here have passed on.  May I suggest you start your very own thread on the forum home page; that way we can reply to your questions and concerns. 

The home page can be accessed at this link https://csn.cancer.org/forum/128

Tru