has tototecan worked for anyone?

karen1951
karen1951 Member Posts: 103
i had my first recurrence for stage IV in october after a 10 mo remission. i finished a once weekly topotecan chemo for three weeks, then one week off, and now i'm in the middle of my second round. my ca125 was in the high 400's and is now an alarming 1078! the oncology nurse was kinda encouraging when she said that this week my ca125 only went up about 100 pts vs. the 300 or so it's been going up every week. she also said topotecan takes awhile to work...maybe even 4 sessions. i still feel okay....i get out of breath and my heart is pounding but have had very few side effects from the topotecan....just wondered if this particular drug has helped anyone. thanks....karen

Comments

• Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    this is the next drug
    up for me if they can't get my cisplatin. I wish you good results this time. My ONC has told me in the past that it ususally takes at least 4 rounds to see results from most of the chemo drugs...... here's to dropping CA's!
    (((HUGS))) Maria
  • garden gal
    garden gal Member Posts: 212 Member
    Mwee said:

this is the next drug
    up for me if they can't get my cisplatin. I wish you good results this time. My ONC has told me in the past that it ususally takes at least 4 rounds to see results from most of the chemo drugs...... here's to dropping CA's!
    (((HUGS))) Maria

I've had 7 treatments of topo
    started with a ca125 of 320, after 4 treatments it only came down to 306. Started to go up on the 5th treatment and now after 7 treatments it's 464. will be going onto another drug. Hope you better results than me, although I'm glad they jump up to much. Kathy
  • garden gal
    garden gal Member Posts: 212 Member

I've had 7 treatments of topo
    started with a ca125 of 320, after 4 treatments it only came down to 306. Started to go up on the 5th treatment and now after 7 treatments it's 464. will be going onto another drug. Hope you better results than me, although I'm glad they jump up to much. Kathy

I should also add
    My schedule was 5 days on and 3 weeks off. The day of chemo it did bother my breathing, not bad but it passed within a day or two. Kathy
  • Tina Brown
    Tina Brown Member Posts: 1,036 Member
    Topotecan
    Hi
    I've been on Topotecan since October and have just finished my 6th and final treatment. My numbers were amazing as at the start they were 1,727 and went down to 849ish and then 389ish after the first 3 treatements. However the last 3 treatment have been hovering around the 380/480 mark. So good and bad results. The positive is that I feel really well and I am FREE OF SYMPTOMS.

I hope it is true that this chemo takes a while to work as I am still hoping my numbers will go down further.

Tina xx
  • karen1951
    karen1951 Member Posts: 103

Topotecan
    Hi
    I've been on Topotecan since October and have just finished my 6th and final treatment. My numbers were amazing as at the start they were 1,727 and went down to 849ish and then 389ish after the first 3 treatements. However the last 3 treatment have been hovering around the 380/480 mark. So good and bad results. The positive is that I feel really well and I am FREE OF SYMPTOMS.

I hope it is true that this chemo takes a while to work as I am still hoping my numbers will go down further.

Tina xx

tina....i read your profile
    tina....i read your profile and am so encouraged by your numbers. i, too, had pleural effusions....2 1/2 ltrs drained from my right lung and 1 1/2 drained from the left..then a semi permanent tube inserted in my right lung so it could be drained every couple of days. i know the feeling of not being able to breathe...it's very scary. i hope your ca125 continues to drop...please keep me posted...it feels so good to hear that others are doing well with the same regimen. let's both hope the topotecan continues to work... god bless....karen
  • Tina Brown
    Tina Brown Member Posts: 1,036 Member
    karen1951 said:

tina....i read your profile
    tina....i read your profile and am so encouraged by your numbers. i, too, had pleural effusions....2 1/2 ltrs drained from my right lung and 1 1/2 drained from the left..then a semi permanent tube inserted in my right lung so it could be drained every couple of days. i know the feeling of not being able to breathe...it's very scary. i hope your ca125 continues to drop...please keep me posted...it feels so good to hear that others are doing well with the same regimen. let's both hope the topotecan continues to work... god bless....karen

God bless Karen
    Thank you for replying to my post. It is comforting to hear someone else has had the same as me HOWEVER I am sorry you had to suffer.

Topotecan has certainly been good for me and I only hope it continues to be so. I will keep you posted and please make sure you let me know how you get on.

Lots love Tina xxxx