IP access difficulties

2timothy1 7
2timothy1 7 Member Posts: 345
Hello. I was just wondering if anyone had difficulties with access to their IP port. I was supposed to have chemo through it yesterday
However 3 nurses couldn't get it accessed. Just curious if anyone else has experienced similar problems?

Comments

• poopergirl14052
    poopergirl14052 Member Posts: 1,183 Member
    NO CHEMO???????????
    ..I never had a port,, but you should have gotten your chemo IV. They will have to unclog it. I hope you are well and you can get your chemo soon..val
  • AnneBehymer
    AnneBehymer Member Posts: 738 Member
    I have an port for my iv
    I have an port for my iv treatment of chemo, the only problem I have had is when the draw blood from it. They can flush it but when them try to retract blood from it they can't. This has happen two times and a 15 minute blood draw take two hours. What I have been told it I have a very fine sheeve (not sure on spelling)over the tub in my vain and it will allow something to push through (it lifts up) and will not allow anything pulled out of it, so they have to put a blood thinner (not hepherin again spelling not right) in and let it sit for anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour. Then when they come back it works just right. Hope that helps I don't know the differnts of the IP verses IV ports.

Anne
  • garden gal
    garden gal Member Posts: 212 Member

I have an port for my iv
    I have an port for my iv treatment of chemo, the only problem I have had is when the draw blood from it. They can flush it but when them try to retract blood from it they can't. This has happen two times and a 15 minute blood draw take two hours. What I have been told it I have a very fine sheeve (not sure on spelling)over the tub in my vain and it will allow something to push through (it lifts up) and will not allow anything pulled out of it, so they have to put a blood thinner (not hepherin again spelling not right) in and let it sit for anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour. Then when they come back it works just right. Hope that helps I don't know the differnts of the IP verses IV ports.

Anne

They can flush the port
    not sure what they use (sorry). What I'm confused about is why they didn't put a IV in your arm or someplace else so you could have your chemo, or are you saying that they simple couldn't use your port? I had mine flushed twiced so far and they were able to use it. How long have you had your port? I have heard of people who needed their ports replaced for one reason or another. Sorry if I can't offer more help, maybe some of the other ladies will have more info. Hope everything turns out alright for you. Somtimes it feels like its always something to cope with. Kathy
  • paris11
    paris11 Member Posts: 159
    Hi 2Tim
    I had an IP port placed in my belly in August, 2010. I had 18 weeks of IP chemo. I still have the IP port. I have never had any problems with the IP port.

I think that the MD could easily resolve the problem.

Good luck,

Connie
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Hi 2timothy,
    welcome to the board. I read your profile and see that you had surgery on Christmas day. Oh my goodness!

I have read that IP ports are notorious for getting plugged. They are different than the ports in the chest and not anchored, so they move around. My best friend finally had hers out and switched to IV, it was such a pain. Not to mention, her horrible side effects from the chemo going straight into her ab.

I hope you have an appointment to go in soon and have the doc look at it and fix it for you!

What chemo are you on? How have you been able to tolerate it?

Hang in there,
    kathleen
  • garden gal
    garden gal Member Posts: 212 Member
    kayandok said:

Hi 2timothy,
    welcome to the board. I read your profile and see that you had surgery on Christmas day. Oh my goodness!

I have read that IP ports are notorious for getting plugged. They are different than the ports in the chest and not anchored, so they move around. My best friend finally had hers out and switched to IV, it was such a pain. Not to mention, her horrible side effects from the chemo going straight into her ab.

I hope you have an appointment to go in soon and have the doc look at it and fix it for you!

What chemo are you on? How have you been able to tolerate it?

Hang in there,
    kathleen

my mistake
    I thought you talking about an IV port that is put in the chest. Kathy
  • VictoriaSF
    VictoriaSF Member Posts: 165
    hi 2timothy17
    hi, i had my surgery in november 2010 and ip port was put in during surgery, but unfortunately when time came to start chemo - it was not accessible. Doctor placed it to high up, under the rib cage, so needle could not reach it, i even went to radiology and they have tried to access under the special machine - did not work,
    eventually - it was removed and i have rcvd standard carbo/taxol chemo - 6 rounds, no ip.
    but i do have power port in my chest - that one works and i am happy i have it.
    thanks
    victoria
  • kikz
    kikz Member Posts: 1,345 Member

hi 2timothy17
    hi, i had my surgery in november 2010 and ip port was put in during surgery, but unfortunately when time came to start chemo - it was not accessible. Doctor placed it to high up, under the rib cage, so needle could not reach it, i even went to radiology and they have tried to access under the special machine - did not work,
    eventually - it was removed and i have rcvd standard carbo/taxol chemo - 6 rounds, no ip.
    but i do have power port in my chest - that one works and i am happy i have it.
    thanks
    victoria

I had an IP port put in during
    my surgery as well. The nurses always said it was deep but there was only one time when they had a hard time accessing it. During one infusion I started to get pain in that area. The nurse checked it and found nothing wrong but the pain began to escalate until I cried to my son that I couldn't stand it anymore. My onc was contacted but they never did find the reason for the pain. They gave me some pain medication and I was able to tolerate it. Needless to say I was scared the next time but they gave me something to calm me and I slept most of the time.

Karen
  • 2timothy1 7
    2timothy1 7 Member Posts: 345
    kikz said:

I had an IP port put in during
    my surgery as well. The nurses always said it was deep but there was only one time when they had a hard time accessing it. During one infusion I started to get pain in that area. The nurse checked it and found nothing wrong but the pain began to escalate until I cried to my son that I couldn't stand it anymore. My onc was contacted but they never did find the reason for the pain. They gave me some pain medication and I was able to tolerate it. Needless to say I was scared the next time but they gave me something to calm me and I slept most of the time.

Karen

I went back to the infusion
    I went back to the infusion center today for chemo thru my chest port. I see my oncologist next week to determine why the port in my belly is clogged. I was disappointed they couldn't use the belly port. I've heard of good outcomes with results from this. Just have to wait and see what happens. Thanks for all your input. This is a scary journey! Wish all you ladies the very best!
    Shawnna