Update On John (Member Class of 2011)

Options
I know that is has been a while since I posted, (I do try to read others post most days). John has bounced back from all the EC issues and then my Mom kind of fell apart (sound familiar Loretta/William) and I started a new position (promotion, thank you very much) at work. Life has not calmed down but enough about my crazy schedule. I thought I would give an update on John. He saw the surgeon last week and Dr. Meredith told John that he was his “poster child” patient. He even took pictures of John’s incision (very small) scares. John has gained 16lbs since last visit on October 5, 2011. He is 2 lbs above the weight he was at diagnosis of EC.
Dr. Meredith ordered a CT-Chest, Abdomen, & Pelvis in 3 months and we will meet with him for results. John is back working out at gym everyday. He is pretty much back to pre EC self. He still does not have the energy level that he did but it is such a great improvement from what it was and his energy level goes up everyday. Dr. Meredith explained that he is still not healed 100%. He told John that he is 3 -6 months ahead of most of his patients and the fatigue will continue to improve. John is still battling cigarette smoking. My friends and boss keep telling me to “tell” him to quit. I cannot do that it HAS to be him that does it and me nagging him will just make it worse. He told our neighbors (they just returned from six months in England) that he knows he has to quit. So I pray that he will kick the cigarettes.
I just wanted to encourage all of you that are preparing for surgery that it does get better.
Oh and John is back cooking dinner again-tonight Grilled Salmon with yogurt dill sauce, Brown Rice and Broccoli.
Thinking of all of you often!
Erica-Wife of John
Diagnosis-T-3, N-1, M-0 on 5-17-11
Started Chemo with concurrent 28 Radiation treatments on 6-1-11
-Chemo= Cisplatin on Day one and Day 16, 5-FU M-F for 5 weeks (via pump worn 24 hrsx5 days)
MIE surgery on 9-9-11 performed by Dr. K. Meredith at Moffitt Cancer Center, Tampa, Fl.
Tumor and 29 lymph nodes-cancer free

Comments

• Cora11
    Cora11 Member Posts: 173
    Options
    great report
    Erica,
    This is Awesome news as in A++++
    Keep inspiring all of us , John!

With love,
    Cora
  • Ericalynn
    Ericalynn Member Posts: 200
    Options
    Cora11 said:

great report
    Erica,
    This is Awesome news as in A++++
    Keep inspiring all of us , John!

With love,
    Cora

Cora
    Cora,
    Thank you my friend!
    I will give John your message!
    Love to you and Keith
    Erica
  • TerryV
    TerryV Member Posts: 887
    Options
    Fabulous news!
    Erica,

I have been wondering how John is doing. Glad to hear the class has another "poster child"! Nick's surgeon feels the same about him. Makes me glad :)

John's progress sounds so similar - both with EC and cigarette smoking. Both tough roads...

You sound good! Glad of that too :) Here's to a positive future for our entire class!

Love & Hugs to you both!

Terry
  • Freida
    Freida Member Posts: 182
    Options
    What great news.
    What great news. Congratulations.
  • Ericalynn
    Options
    TerryV said:

Fabulous news!
    Erica,

I have been wondering how John is doing. Glad to hear the class has another "poster child"! Nick's surgeon feels the same about him. Makes me glad :)

John's progress sounds so similar - both with EC and cigarette smoking. Both tough roads...

You sound good! Glad of that too :) Here's to a positive future for our entire class!

Love & Hugs to you both!

Terry

Thank's Terry
    I have been trying to read post everyday -Glad to hear Nick is a "poster child" too!
    The cigarette issue is such a big struggle ( as you know)
    Go Class -I hope we all continue to heal!
    I will try to post more often
    Love to you and Nick
    Stay warm or you could come visit me in Florida
    Erica
  • Ericalynn
    Options
    Freida said:

What great news.
    What great news. Congratulations.

Thanks Freida
    Thank you so much for the support!
    How is Chemo going for Bill?
    I have been reading your story ( watching from afar).
    Hope he is doing OK!
    Keep us posted
    Thanks Again
    Erica
  • fredswilma
    fredswilma Member Posts: 185
    Options
    So good to hear your update
    Hi Erica
    It is so good to hear from you, I am a little like you read daily and post not often enough, love to hear success stories, keep in touch and know that we are all thinking of you.
    Ann
  • cher76
    cher76 Member Posts: 292
    Options
    Erica,
    So glad to hear John

Erica,
    So glad to hear John is doing so well and cooking and gaining weight again! Prayers your way for continued success!
    Cheryl, wife of Rickie, dx stage IV EC Oct. 2010
    Mets to bones and brain
    Lost the battle to EC Jan. 4, 2012
  • annalan
    annalan Member Posts: 138
    Options
    Erica, what a wonderfully,
    Erica, what a wonderfully, encouraging post, just the type of boost that EC patients need. John's an inspiration. May he go from strength to strength.
    Ann (2)
    Wife of Alan T3N1MO
    Dx sept. 2009
    Ivor Lewis op. March 2010
  • ABC321
    ABC321 Member Posts: 52
    Options
    Thanks Erica
    Thanks for posting this update Erica. What positive news. It certainly put a smile on my face!
    ps...i quit smoking 2.5 years ago after 20 years and dont miss it at all!
    Cheers
    Steve & family.
  • Freida
    Freida Member Posts: 182
    Options
    Ericalynn said:

Thanks Freida
    Thank you so much for the support!
    How is Chemo going for Bill?
    I have been reading your story ( watching from afar).
    Hope he is doing OK!
    Keep us posted
    Thanks Again
    Erica

Hi Erica
    Chemo is going well

Hi Erica
    Chemo is going well for Bill. The only problems he has had so far is some problems with cramps and drinking gatorade seems to be helping with that. He thinks he is losing a little hair - he only has a little to lose anyway. One more chemo next week, then two weeks after that he has another CT scan to see what is happening and we meet with the oncologist to find out where we go from there (the plan being radiation and more chemo - hopefully the induction chemo will have had some effect on the cancer).

Seems like things are going well for you guys. All this makes you really appreciate it doesn't it. Enjoy. Keep us posted when you can.
    Freida
  • JReed
    JReed Member Posts: 428
    Options
    Great news!
    Erica & John:

How awesome! So glad to read your wonderful news and hoping things just get better and better for you both.

Hugs,
    Judy & Don
  • LilChemoSmoker
    LilChemoSmoker Member Posts: 185
    Options
    So happy to hear it Erica!
    What a relief to see some success going on around here! I pray that you both gain some strength and stamina ahead. Good job poster boy!
    Hugs!
    Michelle
  • unclaw2002
    unclaw2002 Member Posts: 599
    Options
    Wonderful news - heres to
    Wonderful news - here is to continued healing.

Hugs,
    Cindy
  • Wpturner05
    Wpturner05 Member Posts: 114
    Options
    Great to hear!! Keep
    Great to hear!! Keep kicking some cancer hiney:)
  • chemosmoker
    chemosmoker Member Posts: 501
    Options
    I disagree.......
    Erica and John,
    what a GREAT report to read. You won't like MY advice, but I would let him enjoy the crap out out of his smoking for the rest of his natural life. I am SO SO happy that he is doing SO very well and it makes me smile to read, but for me, for God's sake, he has just lived through something MOST people do not live through, and I would like him have his smokes!!! That's juts MY opinion. Sorry if it seems wrong. That's how I feel.

God bless you both and continued success!!

Love,
    Eric
  • Rick0311
    Rick0311 Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Glad to hear
    Erica

I am so very glad to hear John is doing so well. I am guessing that I am in the 2011 class also. I was diagnosed in April and Surgery in August.

My thoughts and prayers for his continued progress .

Richard (Rick) Watson
    Neoga, Illinois

DX – 0411
    EC – T2N2M0
    Chemo – Cisplatin, four treatments
    5FU, four treatments, five days times 24 hours each time
    MIE – 083111
    Barnes Hospital, St Louis
    Dr Brian Meyer
    NED
  • TerryV
    TerryV Member Posts: 887
    Options

I disagree.......
    Erica and John,
    what a GREAT report to read. You won't like MY advice, but I would let him enjoy the crap out out of his smoking for the rest of his natural life. I am SO SO happy that he is doing SO very well and it makes me smile to read, but for me, for God's sake, he has just lived through something MOST people do not live through, and I would like him have his smokes!!! That's juts MY opinion. Sorry if it seems wrong. That's how I feel.

God bless you both and continued success!!

Love,
    Eric

Just a comment, Eric
    I do understand your comment. You see, both Nick and I smoke too. But we have decided that our time together is too precious to give it willingly to the tobacco companies. Every minute of every day is precious - you know that. Each cigarette steals 3 minutes from us - more if we are unlucky. So, I'm doing Chantix and Nick is working with patches. I'm hoping that acupuncture will give me the boost I need with Chantix.

Nick didn't enjoy rads and chemo and has no desire to go through them as a lung cancer victim. After watching him, I know that's not the future I want for me either.

IF....
    We didn't have hope (blind? maybe) of a future together, then maybe it would be okay to continue paying $51.00/carton for the joy of cutting our days short. But we are hopeful for a good future, a long future together.

With much love & hugs,

Terry
  • Luvs24
    Luvs24 Member Posts: 75
    Options
    Great news!
    Thank you so much for posting the update. (Dad's surgery was with Dr Meredith at the Moffitt Center a month after John's.)

And gaining weight! yeay!

Congrats,
    Beth
    daughter of Roy
    T3N1M0
    Ivor Lewis 10/07/11